Toyota quality going down

Status
Not open for further replies.

unionman

and the deep pockets of the UAW
Don't worry, unions are on the way out in this country and so is the middle class. the worst part about it, is that most don't even know it as they work two jobs both parents have to work its no longer a choice and our kids are turning into unguided hellions

Babagounj

Strength through joy
now Honda is recalling cars.
But not a word about the Chevy Cobalt, which has had more complaints than the Toyota about sticky gas pedals.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The allegedly defective accelerator part is made in Canada by Indiana-based CTS Corp. Many makes and models use this same part. For example, the Pontiac Vibe uses it. Ford sells a van in China with the component.
But only Toyota is recalling .

klein

Für Meno :)
Yup. All the Toyota factories in the US that employ Americans with good pay and bennies...they helped lay off American workers. Not that American car companies for years built total crap thinking we would just buy the junk...had nothing to do with people looking at other car makes.

Guess where the Ford Fusion is made??? Guess what car its based from????

Keep your head buried in the sand and drinking the kool-aid Ralphie.

I totally agree with Lucifer on this one.
Americans feeling "Schadefreude" because Toyota is hurting.
Better be informed and read this article :

When Ford, General Motors (NYSE: GM), and Chrysler jetted into Washington to beg for a handout from taxpayers, they were criticized not only for their corporate fleet of jets, but also their squandering of American manufacturing ingenuity. Now with Ford rising ascendant and GM coming out one day soon with its Chevy Volt, this is seen as vindication for those who said that the Detroit bailout was a necessary event. Just keep Detroit afloat long enough to get back on its feet, and it'll be able to produce eco-friendly cars with the best of them.
So, Detroit got its life raft, but there's a bit of a disconnect here between saving American jobs and lavishing billions on the auto industry.
The Ford Fusion Hybrid won't be saving many U.S. jobs because the car is built in Mexico, right next to the Chevy Silverado and Aveo plants and Chrysler's new fuel-efficient Phoenix Motors plant. In fact, the Big Three have 13 plants in Mexico that turn out 50% of Mexico's auto production, and, according to the Mexican Auto Industry Association, Mexico exports 75% of all production, of which 70% heads to the U.S.
So, let's not wax poetic about what the Fusion Hybrid means for the "American" auto industry. In reality, the industry is really a global one. While Detroit is off building cars in Mexico (and South America, Europe, Asia, and elsewhere), Japanese carmakers are right here in the U.S. building cars and creating American jobs.
The Camry hybrid is built right here in Kentucky, and until auto sales dried up in North America recently, Toyota had planned to move Prius manufacturing capabilities to Mississippi. Without taking anything away from Ford's achievement, so-called Japanese car manufacturers have been building fuel-efficient internal combustion cars here for some time. The Altima from Nissan (Nasdaq: NSANY), for example, gets highway gas mileage in the 30s and is built in Smyrna, Tenn., and in Canton, Miss. It also produces a hybrid version of the Altima at the Smyrna plant.
I'm happy that Ford has won those accolades, and the Fusion isn't such a bad-looking car, either. With size, styling, and power behind it, this could end up being a big seller for the iconic carmaker. Let's just not conflate that achievement with having anything to do with saving American jobs. There is no "U.S. carmaker" anymore, just as calling a Camry, Civic, or Altima "Japanese" is a misnomer. Although politicians sometimes confuse the matter to further their own agendas, it's a global marketplace that won't be assisted by artificially propping up negligent and incompetent management through loans and bailouts.

Lue C Fur

Evil member
I totally agree with Lucifer on this one.
Americans feeling "Schadefreude" because Toyota is hurting.
Better be informed and read this article :

When Ford, General Motors (NYSE: GM), and Chrysler jetted into Washington to beg for a handout from taxpayers, they were criticized not only for their corporate fleet of jets, but also their squandering of American manufacturing ingenuity. Now with Ford rising ascendant and GM coming out one day soon with its Chevy Volt, this is seen as vindication for those who said that the Detroit bailout was a necessary event. Just keep Detroit afloat long enough to get back on its feet, and it'll be able to produce eco-friendly cars with the best of them.
So, Detroit got its life raft, but there's a bit of a disconnect here between saving American jobs and lavishing billions on the auto industry.
The Ford Fusion Hybrid won't be saving many U.S. jobs because the car is built in Mexico, right next to the Chevy Silverado and Aveo plants and Chrysler's new fuel-efficient Phoenix Motors plant. In fact, the Big Three have 13 plants in Mexico that turn out 50% of Mexico's auto production, and, according to the Mexican Auto Industry Association, Mexico exports 75% of all production, of which 70% heads to the U.S.
So, let's not wax poetic about what the Fusion Hybrid means for the "American" auto industry. In reality, the industry is really a global one. While Detroit is off building cars in Mexico (and South America, Europe, Asia, and elsewhere), Japanese carmakers are right here in the U.S. building cars and creating American jobs.
The Camry hybrid is built right here in Kentucky, and until auto sales dried up in North America recently, Toyota had planned to move Prius manufacturing capabilities to Mississippi. Without taking anything away from Ford's achievement, so-called Japanese car manufacturers have been building fuel-efficient internal combustion cars here for some time. The Altima from Nissan (Nasdaq: NSANY), for example, gets highway gas mileage in the 30s and is built in Smyrna, Tenn., and in Canton, Miss. It also produces a hybrid version of the Altima at the Smyrna plant.
I'm happy that Ford has won those accolades, and the Fusion isn't such a bad-looking car, either. With size, styling, and power behind it, this could end up being a big seller for the iconic carmaker. Let's just not conflate that achievement with having anything to do with saving American jobs. There is no "U.S. carmaker" anymore, just as calling a Camry, Civic, or Altima "Japanese" is a misnomer. Although politicians sometimes confuse the matter to further their own agendas, it's a global marketplace that won't be assisted by artificially propping up negligent and incompetent management through loans and bailouts.

Great article Klein and so true. I just read that Kia opened a plant in Georgia so that is more jobs created by the global car marketplace. By the way the Ford Fusion is based off the last generation Mazda 6.

ups1990

Although Toyota is based in Japan. The company was becoming American as baseball and apple pie. Everywhere one turned there stood a Toyota vehicle. In our neighborhoods, schools, LL baseball fields, malls...there is no denying the fact that Americans favored them over US made cars. My hope is for our country's automakers to make a comeback.

klein

By CBC News, cbc.ca, Updated: March 1, 2010 2:27 PM

Toyota accidents under investigation in B.C.

Toyoto recalled more than 8 million vehicles globally over brake problems, sticking gas pedals and floor mats, which can trap gas pedals.
6A1DC65E5FD11D9FB4138D59E5EBE9.jpg

B.C.'s auto insurance company is reviewing accident claims involving Toyota vehicles to see whether some of the problems that led to widespread recalls are to blame.
The Japanese automaker has recalled more than eight million vehicles since November because of reports the gas pedals stuck to the floor, causing sudden acceleration.

There is a special process now in place at the provincially owned Insurance Corporation of B.C. for customers whose claims involved a Toyota that's been recalled. Spokesman Mark Jan Vrem said a dedicated adjuster will review all Toyota files, examining the vehicle to look specifically at gas pedal and floor mat problems.

According to Jan Vrem, 20 customers so far have contacted the insurer to have their files reviewed, saying they believe the Toyota defect was responsible for their accident.
Those reviews may lead to legal action against Toyota to offset claims the insurer may have already paid out involving defective vehicles, he said.

"We are taking a look at legal action against Toyota. We have a duty to protect our customers," said Jan Vrem.
"Our investigators will be taking a careful look at claims that are already closed. They'll go back and take another look at claims that are already open to determine if in fact the sticking gas pedal or the floor mats were a contributing factor," he said.

klein

Now, GM recalls !!!

GM recalls 1.3M Chevrolet, Pontiac cars

Last Updated: Tuesday, March 2, 2010 | 12:40 AM ET

The Associated Press

General Motors Co. said Monday it will recall 1.3 million Chevrolet and Pontiac compact cars sold in the U.S., Canada and Mexico to fix power steering motors that can fail.
The recall affects 2005 to 2010 Chevrolet Cobalts, 2007 to 2010 Pontiac G5s, 2005 and 2006 Pontiac Pursuits sold in Canada, and 2005 and 2006 Pontiac G4s sold in Mexico.
The automaker said the vehicles are still safe to drive and never lose their steering, but it may be harder to steer them when travelling under 24 km/h.
GM spokesman Alan Adler said it will take time for the automaker to get 1.3 million new power steering motors from the supplier, JTEKT Corp., and GM will notify car owners when the parts are available.
Adler said the failures are rare and the cars can still be driven until dealers can replace motors. Drivers will see a warning light and hear a chime if the power steering fails, but they could be surprised when the steering becomes more difficult.
GM told the U.S. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration about the recall on Monday. NHTSA began an investigation into 905,000 of the models on Jan. 27 after getting 1,100 complaints that the cars lost their power steering assist. The complaints included 14 crashes and one injury.
The automaker will fix older models first because it usually takes 32,000 to 48,000 kilometres of driving for the condition to develop, Adler said. GM also will have to repair thousands of vehicles on dealer lots before they can be sold, he said.
"Recalling these vehicles is the right thing to do for our customers' peace of mind," Jamie Hresko, GM's vice-president of quality, said in a statement.
Adler said if the power steering assist fails, it usually comes back for a time after the car is shut off and restarted.
The recall comes at a time of heightened interest in auto safety after sudden acceleration problems experienced in some Toyota Motor Corp. vehicles.
Toyota has had to recall 8.5 million vehicles worldwide to fix problems with sticky gas pedals, floor mats that can snag the gas pedal and cause unintended acceleration, and brake software problems with the Prius gas-electric hybrid.
Toyota executives have been summoned to testify before congressional committees investigating the company's actions and whether NHTSA did enough to make sure the Toyotas are safe.
© The Canadian Press, 2010

tonyexpress

Whac-A-Troll Patrol
Staff member
It would be appreciated that when posting a story we don't copy and paste the whole story...Instead, post a link to the story and if necessary a few lines...

This way we are not taking up too much space and are more considerate of others...

Thanks!

Almost forgot the most important thing...It also violates copyright law!

Last edited:

Dizzee

ɹǝqɯǝɯ ɹoıuǝs
It would be appreciated that when posting a story we don't copy and paste the whole story...Instead, post a link to the story and if necessary a few lines...

This way we are not taking up too much space and are more considerate of others...

Thanks!

Almost forgot the most important thing...It also violates copyright law!

If someone copied & pasted the copyright law... would that be a copyright violation? :wink2:

diesel96

At least 15 drivers have post recall complaints to US Safety officials that their gas pedals malfunctioned even after getting their Toyotas worked on.....

I don't know about you but I don't like to see a Toyota in my rear view mirror !!!!

tieguy

Banned
At least 15 drivers have post recall complaints to US Safety officials that their gas pedals malfunctioned even after getting their Toyotas worked on.....

I don't know about you but I don't like to see a Toyota in my rear view mirror !!!!

I'd worry more that it may be driven by an illegal immigrant driving on a liberal provided drivers license.:happy-very:

unionman

Yeah, like I said before, a stupid shim is going to fix it . RIGHTTTTTTT!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I got my P-700 back from the shop yesterday after it had its yearly PMI done on it. I noticed that the large gas pedal had been replaced by a small one that had an electrical switch on it. I had never noticed the switch before, I didn't know we had an electronic throttle system. I immediantly inspected it more closely to make sure it didn't have "Toyoto" written on it somewhere, I don't want that four cylinder Mercedes engine to get away from me.......

Status
Not open for further replies.