Tradtional vs Portable

ok thanks van, thought about a annuity but really not interested in those. Found a CD that pays 2.25 on 5 years jumbo plan.
That way money is safe!!!!

vantexan

ok thanks van, thought about a annuity but really not interested in those. Found a CD that pays 2.25 on 5 years jumbo plan.
I read that Babe Ruth didn't trust the stock market and when it crashed in '29 a lot of his fellow players went bankrupt. He kept his money in CD's and retired very wealthy.

Oldfart

Depending on your age and your ultimate goal, a 5 yr CD just might not be the best route. If you are in your 20's or 30's, you have time to recover from just about any bad streak a good Mutual might suffer. Plus 2.25% is a very small return. You can research Mutual Funds in Morningstar or Vanguard and find plenty of proven mutual funds with decades of positive growth and low to moderate risks. Even if we suffer another 2008 scare, being young will allow you the time to recoup a bad streak and still grow your money. If a mutual fund is 25 or 30 years old and has growth of 12 to 15% in that time, you can figure it is a good place to park some money, even if we do suffer another 2008.
If you are older, the CD route might be the way to go as you tend to go conservative with a good portion of your money because you might not have time to recover from a 2008 repeat.

You just need to read some financial websites and get as informed as possible.

The funds Vanguard offers in our 401k are for the most, very good. I would load up your 401k with as much as you can. Fedex will match up to 55% of your contribution, it saves you on income taxes and if you start young and make steady contributions, you can have a very large 401k when retirement time comes. Small sacrifices when you are young will pay off bigtime when you retire.

Last edited:

Oldfart

If the pension were "free money" FedEx would be handing pensions out to people on the street. And yes, it is pretty bad.
You might want to read something besides Mad Magazine and you will learn what and how interests rates work. Maybe your Mom can explain it while she helps you dress in the morning. Until then, you will always be bitter and misinformed.

fdxsux

You might want to read something besides Mad Magazine and you will learn what and how interests rates work. Maybe your Mom can explain it while she helps you dress in the morning. Until then, you will always be bitter and misinformed.
Since you're an expert on interest rates I'm sure you know that 4% does little more than protect your money from inflation.

Oldfart

Since you're an expert on interest rates I'm sure you know that 4% does little more than protect your money from inflation.
Considering Bond Funds are lucky to get 2.5% and CD and money markets MIGHT get 1% if you leave them there for 5 years. 4% is an excellent rate for a guaranteed return
Then again, you would whine and cry if it was paying 6%. You cant help it. It's all you know.

fdxsux

Those of us that aren't right around the corner from retirement would be better off if FedEx just gave us 5% of our earnings so we could put it in a mutual fund. At least then we could make a decent return on their lousy "pension".

Oldfart

Those of us that aren't right around the corner from retirement would be better off if FedEx just gave us 5% of our earnings so we could put it in a mutual fund. At least then we could make a decent return on their lousy "pension".
If FDXSUX and their pension is so LOUSY, why do you punch the clock every day? Got find a job that doesn't suck and one that has a GREAT pension. Oh yea. You would rather :censored2: and whine, it gives you a reason to wake up every day.

Only 24% of Fortune 500 companies even offer a pension today. Only 7% offer a Traditional Pension. Only 20% offer a 401k AND any type of pension.

Last edited:

Serf

My "probably" comes from a 10 year coworker who started as a handler and is now a courier, 12K in the PPA is the "reality". Use the FedEx retirement tool for the PPA and you will see how bad the PPA is based upon the FedEx prediction at retirement. At least you can take it with you when you quit.
I believe I heard that even the calculator tool for PPA is based on a 45 hour work weeks average.