training route manifest

Box Ox

Find out who usually does the route. Be polite and pick his/her brain. Then find the person that covers the route the most and do the same thing. :)

This is a good point. The normal route (bid or usual split) drivers will typically be thrilled to go through a manifest or map with a cover driver learning their route to highlight order/what they need to know, etc. Because that cover driver can then become their go-to when they want or need a day off and the cover driver doesn’t have anything else to run.

Netsua 3:16

AND THAT’S THE BOTTOM LINE
Biggest thing with learning a business route is delivery points. Dock, Office, Front Desk, you can lose so much time scrambling around with your handtruck if you don't know exactly where you're going.
The resis will be the easiest part of the route to learn, so when first starting I tell all the new guys to focus on getting the businesses and pickups down.
Baby steps....get the air done on time make service and the rest will come, if you "get after it" mentally on a daily basis.

IESucks

I just received my 30 day training route manifest. I am not familiar with the area. I have heard diff opinions in regards to driving route by self ahead of time. Figured, ask everyone’s opinion when they were in my position. I probably will drive through the route once, atleast the main streets and looks for the side streets as I’m passing. Just an hour or two worth of driving on my own time. Then on my first three days, really pay attention to how the route is done. What worked for everyone else? Whom had received the route manifest ahead of time.
I got a printout of how it was run(assuming it was already a route) 32 years ago I drove and found stop per stop and addresses to become familiar with it

brostalss

Day 1: Take your time be safe. Keep your truck organized. One section at a time. You'll make plenty of mistakes. It's ok. Learn from it. Make mental notes. Traffic, parking spots, where to turn, etc, etc.

Day 2: You'll run a lot better. You have a feel for the area. You know where to stop and park, where to make deliveries, when you'll need your dolly, etc. Keep your truck on organized.

Day 3: Now you got it. Continue to learn. Be safe. Keep your truck organized.

Day 4: Almost there. Keep your truck organized. Be safe. Be smooth. Get a good rhythm going.

Day 5: Now you got it. Put yourself on cruise control. Keep your truck organized. Be safe. Smooth and steady pace. Have a cold one when you get home.

Poop Head

Judge me.
Day 1: punch every address into GPS
Day 2: punch every address into GPS
Day 3: punch every address into GPS
Day 4: punch every address into GPS
Day 5: punch every address into GPS
Day 6: punch every address into GPS

wayfair

swollen member
Day 1: Take your time be safe. Keep your truck organized. One section at a time. You'll make plenty of mistakes. It's ok. Learn from it. Make mental notes. Traffic, parking spots, where to turn, etc, etc.

Day 2: You'll run a lot better. You have a feel for the area. You know where to stop and park, where to make deliveries, when you'll need your dolly, etc. Keep your truck on organized.

Day 3: Now you got it. Continue to learn. Be safe. Keep your truck organized.

Day 4: Almost there. Keep your truck organized. Be safe. Be smooth. Get a good rhythm going.

Day 5: Now you got it. Put yourself on cruise control. Keep your truck organized. Be safe. Smooth and steady pace. Have a cold one when you get home.

I know you know this, but ORION doesn't follow sections anymore. And the DIAD doesn't have anything is "section" order

NEOdriver

Arrive early to look through your truck. If you have lots of bulk in your aisle, take pictures of the labels and deliver those items immediately after your air or even during your air if time allows. You need to be able to move up and down your aisle or you'll get overwhelmed.

If your loader hasn't done so, write the numbers on your boxes, you'll spend much less time looking for packages during the day.

If you have ground mixed in with your air, I used to pull the ground from wherever it was in the truck and pull it to the front, this way I didn't have to slug through a bunch of boxes to get to the 6000s or whatever and stress myself out while trying to meet air commits.

I would always sort during my lunch. I would break my 30 minute lunch into two 15 minute chunks and sort in delivery order by my diad. That way you get to your stop, get the box, and go. No thinking necessary, total focus on learning the route.

Talk to your oms every day you get back to see if you scratched. Keep track of your working days and scratched days. Once you get five in a row you're good to go!

Finally, take a deep breath. Go smoothly. Run!