U.S. Birthrate

Thebrownblob

You have always said it began under Reagan.

I guess you only read the headlines, not the article.
You may agree with a RW opinion piece written by a member of the Federalist Society. That's fine.

Before deregulation, UPS couldn't deliver everywhere.

Trump de-regulated more than any president, even more than RW hero, Reagan.

I thought you were againt government involvement, or only when Democrats do it?

I'm pretty sure Jimmy Hoffa and his successors ruined the CSPF, not Jimmy Carter.
Nope, try again. Central states, pension fund was ruined by deregulation that Carter opened the door for, regardless of who finished it. You can try to twist the facts all you want, but doesn’t work. Do I think Carter did that purposely no it’s called unintended consequences and that’s what happened when government gets involved.
I will happily give credit to President Biden for doing what should’ve been done a long time ago fixing their mistake.

Last edited:

vantexan

I guess you only read the headlines, not the article.
You may agree with a RW opinion piece written by a member of the Federalist Society. That's fine.

Before deregulation, UPS couldn't deliver everywhere.

Trump de-regulated more than any president, even more than RW hero, Reagan.

I thought you were againt government involvement, or only when Democrats do it?

I'm pretty sure Jimmy Hoffa and his successors ruined the CSPF, not Jimmy Carter.
Deregulation isn't a bad thing when it's designed to remove redundancy and lift onerous burdens off corporations. Regulations should be designed to protect the public and the environment from bad practices. They shouldn't be punitive or designed to create a tax revenue stream that hampers a business from operating profitably.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Remember the left broke our pension with the de-regulation. Putting dozens of Union carriers out of business. They are only paying us back what they broke.

That does not mean, I think the right is a friend of labor. I don’t think any politician cares about us at all.
So you're for more government regulation?

Thebrownblob

So you're for more government regulation?
Nope, I’m for the government not changing the game in the middle of the stream.

Same silly argument is made all the time with Social Security like I have any choice, of course I want my Social Security. I paid into it. Doesn’t mean I agree with everything the government does.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Nope, I’m for the government not changing the game in the middle of the stream.

Same silly argument is made all the time with Social Security like I have any choice, of course I want my Social Security. I paid into it. Doesn’t mean I agree with everything the government does.
So if the government has regulated any business practices in the past they should never be changed?

vantexan

So if the government has regulated any business practices in the past they should never be changed?
Are you familiar with the term redundancy? Putting regulations on top of regulations that are essentially the same thing and cost companies serious money to comply with. If the U.S. is to be competitive in the world then government shouldn't look at corporations as cash cows and hamper their ability to be competitive.

Thebrownblob

Certainly depends doesn’t it? Do you believe Jimmy Carter intended to put dozens of union trucking companies out of business with deregulation? I don’t. I think they do things without really understanding what they’re doing most of the time. Probably because they got a large donation from someone.
We live in a crony capitalist society. There’s really not much I can do about that at this point it’s not going to change. The government will interject their selves in our system for better or worse.

The point is deregulation hurt The trucking industry that was heavily unionized and heavily in pensions. Once those trucking companies went out of business, our pension fund never stood a chance at paying all those orphaned members.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Certainly depends doesn’t it? Do you believe Jimmy Carter intended to put dozens of union trucking companies out of business with deregulation? I don’t. I think they do things without really understanding what they’re doing most of the time. Probably because they got a large donation from someone.
We live in a crony capitalist society. There’s really not much I can do about that at this point it’s not going to change. The government will interject their selves in our system for better or worse.

The point is deregulation hurt The trucking industry that was heavily unionized and heavily in pensions. Once those trucking companies went out of business, our pension fund never stood a chance at paying all those orphaned members.
Deregulation brought more competition and lower shipping rates for the consumer. Those union companies should have adapted to the new reality instead of running business as usual. They were dinosaurs that didn't want to change their business practices.

vantexan

The problem is the government is supposed to employ economists who know better. If your party is anti business then you employ economists who tell you what you want to hear.

I'm certain Biden doesn't have a clue on economics. But he did have economists pushing modern monetary theory where you can spend yourself to prosperity. And ignored the naysayers like Larry Summers who do know better. Biden wanted to be a hero. If spending X gets you Y results then imagine what 4X will do!! And here we are now having to fight our way out of inflation while the Left that believes they do no wrong point fingers at everyone else. Most Americans only know that their grocery bills and fuel bills exploded under Biden. And Democrats would rather lie about these problems than admit they screwed up. Because only Republicans screw up. Doesn't compute that Dems with their theories are the issue. @Sportello

vantexan

Deregulation brought more competition and lower shipping rates for the consumer. Those union companies should have adapted to the new reality instead of running business as usual. They were dinosaurs that didn't want to change their business practices.
Then why is it a problem when Republicans do it?