UK dress code Q - Ironing shirts

Mchooky

Hi. My sup decided to kick off about our shirts being ironed yesterday, so I'm interested in people's views.

I'm pretty sure my contract says my shirt should be ironed (can anyone confirm?). In the early days I used to iron my shirt but after realising it didn't look different to non ironed I stopped. 5 years ago. (The lack of difference is mainly due to my fabulous laundry skills. Don't overload the washing machine, unload as soon as the cycle finishes and put on hangers to dry).

No one has mentioned my shirts in five years.

There is various UK case law about dress codes, reasonableness and prior enforceability which I think supports me not having to buy a new iron. I think to win a case UPS would have to prove materiality where they would be on a hiding tp nothing. I think in the UK we have stronger employee protection than in the US.

Otherwise I adhere to the dress code. I look smart... though I might not wear the brown socks all the time.

The thing that really annoyed me is the sup started having a go at people at the end of the day. 10 hours and 100 stops and I still look smart but the sup is expecting razor sharp creases.

The upshot is, I'm not going to iron my shirts. How likely do you think it is that they will try to sack me?

Turdferguson

Just a turd
Hi. My sup decided to kick off about our shirts being ironed yesterday, so I'm interested in people's views.

I'm pretty sure my contract says my shirt should be ironed (can anyone confirm?). In the early days I used to iron my shirt but after realising it didn't look different to non ironed I stopped. 5 years ago. (The lack of difference is mainly due to my fabulous laundry skills. Don't overload the washing machine, unload as soon as the cycle finishes and put on hangers to dry).

There is various UK case law about dress codes, reasonableness and prior enforceability which I think supports me not having to buy a new iron. I think to win a case UPS would have to prove materiality where they would be on a hiding tp nothing. I think in the UK we have stronger employee protection than in the US.

Otherwise I adhere to the dress code. I look smart... though I might not wear the brown socks all the time.

The thing that really annoyed me is the sup started having a go at people at the end of the day. 10 hours and 100 stops and I still look smart but the sup is expecting razor sharp creases.

The upshot is, I'm not going to iron my shirts. How likely do you think it is that they will try to sack me?

Here in America UPS it's called "The flavor of the month". Our supervisors take a conference call and one of their bosses picks some stupid BS thing that they must get on their people about . Could be shoes one month, could be back 1st exception the next. It passes what the actually care about. You can do what they want so they leave you alone, or ignore them and pick a fight with them over it. It's a personal choice as to what you feel comfortable doing

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
Here in America UPS it's called "The flavor of the month". Our supervisors take a conference call and one of their bosses picks some stupid BS thing that they must get on their people about . Could be shoes one month, could be back 1st exception the next. It passes what the actually care about. You can do what they want so they leave you alone, or ignore them and pick a fight with them over it. It's a personal choice as to what you feel comfortable doing
What's got you up this early Turd?

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck

I heard in the UK, you guys have two drivers per car, and make $55 an hour. Any of this true?

Rick Ross

I'm into distribution!!
I heard in the UK, you guys have two drivers per car, and make $55 an hour. Any of this true?

Might be true.

A few years back I was in Vegas playing blackjack next to a guy who loaded bags at Heathrow. We had an interesting conversation and he was telling me he made roughly $70k in American dollars per year humping suitcases.

This gentleman was older so he may have had some years in, but that would be a low paying job in the USA

Mchooky

Currently think the exchange is about 14-18. It would have been a lot more when the £ was stronger a few years ago.
Generally one driver. We get helpers at Christmas sometimes though how much help that is can be debatable. They may send two drivers out if the count is low and they want to reduce the amount of vans going out. That just means you do twice the work.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

You guys have dental over on the other side of the pond?

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I'm pretty sure my contract says my shirt should be ironed (can anyone confirm?).

Do you have an online link to any contractual language ?

In the states, the language only says the employee shall "maintain" their shirts.

When they have tried the whole "iron your shirt" thing....

We remind them, they are still required to launder the rest of the uniform.

That shut's them up.

"The Employer agrees that if any employee is required to wear any kind of uniform as a condition of his/her continued employment, such uniform, except shirts, shall be furnished and maintained by the Employer free of charge."

-Bug-

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Bug, that's really helpful. I'm not sure what the actual language is.... But then I have never been given an employee handbook :slap:

There is one caveat, with my statement.

Not being in an organized labor union (hence contract)....

You might be subject to a "employee or company" handbook.

Ironing shirts ?

I give it a big.... Pfft.

Jackburton

Gone Fish'n
Was over there about a year ago, stopped in Bath for half a day and saw a driver and helper maybe? This was around end of Sept ‘17, didn’t know if that was normal. One was driving and the other was in the passenger seat, think it was a Sprinter type van.

wrecker

Our supplement doesn’t exclude shirts.

There is a cleaners across the street that the center will pick up the tab if we drop uniforms there. I don’t think anyone bothers.

Attachments

• 728C3C79-FAA5-4920-A788-5A1036363CD7.jpeg
    728C3C79-FAA5-4920-A788-5A1036363CD7.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 221