Union forcing dues on employee

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...
How did I know just pay your dues was coming. I have the right to not pay dues. Attorney.....yes I said attorney. He is a national right to work attorney at that. I contacted my local union and they said if you work you pay dues. I said no I have a choice and she told me no you do not. Ummmm as I said before I live in a right to work state!

Must be nice to make the money you do, the benefits you have, and get protected by the union that you don't feel the need to join. I guess you've never given any thought about what those wages, benefits and protection would be if the union you are riding on back of wasn't at UPS, huh? Quite the long view, you see...

8000Shelf

I wish all the employees in "right to work aka break the union" states that don't want to pay union dues would have to negotiate their own pay, vacation, medical benefits, pensions, job protection, etc. on their own with the company. In that case I suppose they have every right to not join the teamsters or pay dues.

Sorry I know I'm repeating a lot of what has been posted on this thread already, but the OP and like minded employees really get me going...

Ron Carey lives on

A lot of of people who apply for union jobs, know what they are getting during orientation. If you don't feel comfortable working in good middle class jobs, with security, a grievance procedure, and a contract, seek employment elsewhere, it is that simple

Sent using BrownCafe App

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
I wear grey for less pay. Yes I work for freight and I was doing my job before the union came in to be a yes ma'am to ups and let them do what they want. Do not and will not support it. In my contract the union has done nothing but let the company do what they want to do. Give me a good strong contract get rid of out LHD drivers, contract drivers, ect and put us all to work like they should.....then we'll talk!
How about you start negotiating your own wage and medical too?

JL 0513

First off, I'll say that all union workers should pay dues.

I will also say that the dues is too high. There's lot's of costs associated with running the union but a lot of BS spending, similar to the way government spends money.

If Hoffa and other leaders care so much about the workers, then what explains taking so much from us and taking a $380,000 a year compensation package (in Hoffa's case)? Some union leaders make well into 7 figures. This excludes likely large expense accounts.

They are in it for their own power just like any politician. If they believed what they said, they wouldn't make any more than we do.

Inthegame

If Hoffa and other leaders care so much about the workers, then what explains taking so much from us and taking a $380,000 a year compensation package (in Hoffa's case)?
You do realize the IBT has somewhere between 1.3-1.4 million members right? Hoffa's salary works out to about a quarter from each member each year. You think that's too much for the CEO of the IBT?
Some union leaders make well into 7 figures. This excludes likely large expense accounts.
Care to name ANY union official making "well into 7 figures". I didn't think so.
First off, I'll say that all union workers should pay dues.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.

JL 0513

You do realize the IBT has somewhere between 1.3-1.4 million members right? Hoffa's salary works out to about a quarter from each member each year. You think that's too much for the CEO of the IBT?

Hoffa's salary is just one of many leaders in the Teamsters making a lot more than we are. I thought liberals were all about income equality? Except when it comes to union leaders? My problem is that they are all the ones talking about the little guy but they have no problem making big bucks with our dues. I have no problem with executives making a lot more than workers, but don't be a hypocrite.

Care to name ANY union official making "well into 7 figures". I didn't think so.

Michael Weiner $3,000,000 MLB Players Executive Director

G. William Hunter $1,995,887 National Basketball Players Former Exec. Director

DemauriceSmith $1,970,337 Federation of Professional Athletes Executive Director

Drew Brees $1,400,164 Federation of Professional Athletes Vice President

Michael Weiner $1,137,094 MLB Players Executive Director

William Trent $1,053,579 Independent Pilot Association Attorney

James McCourt $1,033,554 Insulators AFL-CIO Nat’l Headquarters Secretary-Treasurer

8000Shelf

Hoffa's salary is just one of many leaders in the Teamsters making a lot more than we are. I thought liberals were all about income equality? Except when it comes to union leaders? My problem is that they are all the ones talking about the little guy but they have no problem making big bucks with our dues. I have no problem with executives making a lot more than workers, but don't be a hypocrite.

Do you really think you would make any where near what you do if you didn't have that union to pay dues to, too much or not?

JL 0513

Do you really think you would make any where near what you do if you didn't have that union to pay dues to, too much or not?

That has nothing to do with what I'm saying. I'm not anti union or anti union dues. Just pointing out the hypocrisy.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
So the only time executive pay is an issue is when it's the company execs?

PT Stewie

"Big Fella"
Has anyone ever had the local "force" you to pay dues? I work in a right to work state where this is illegal, but they still take dues without any consent and will not stop the dues.
The NJEA would love you (teacher really?). Maybe you can call your lawyer when you get on the wrong side of management. Please enjoy the benefits the job gets you because if it was left up to UPS you wouldn't have them. The IBT negotiated the benefits and you cannot even pay them dues. Freeloader !

Rowdy dowdy 639

Has anyone ever had the local "force" you to pay dues? I work in a right to work state where this is illegal, but they still take dues without any consent and will not stop the dues.[/QUOTE

Take this from a teamster of 40 yrs, you don't pay union dues you invest in union dues. I started ups in 1975 at 21 and I retired in 2005 at 51. In those 30 yrs I invested around $15.000 in dues, in first year of retirement I got back that $15.000 four times. That's $60.000. I'm in my eleventh year at a grand total of over of $600.000. Do the math,that's a return of over a 1000 percent, and if live to be a hundred,WOW!!! I retired at 51 with a $60.000 pention I'm living the American dream because of a strong union and I've to worry about people like you listening to corporate America screwing up your mind telling you unions are bad. Keep listening to corporate America and you'll end up with nothing. Don't pay, invest in your dues and live the American dream.

Inthegame

Michael Weiner $3,000,000 MLB Players Executive Director

G. William Hunter $1,995,887 National Basketball Players Former Exec. Director

DemauriceSmith $1,970,337 Federation of Professional Athletes Executive Director

Drew Brees $1,400,164 Federation of Professional Athletes Vice President

Michael Weiner $1,137,094 MLB Players Executive Director

William Trent $1,053,579 Independent Pilot Association Attorney

James McCourt $1,033,554 Insulators AFL-CIO Nat’l Headquarters Secretary-Treasurer
Copy and pasting from watchdog.org (an entity with an odd penchant of union bashing) may not please the owner of BC but keep posting, it's easy to debunk their BS.
Do you realize the list you posted makes my point? You name a rare group of professional sports union executives with far less members than the Teamsters and you complain of hypocrisy? The first 5 listed "unions" (in name only) are professional sports organizations taking full advantage of existing labor laws to bargain CBA's. Their executives make far less than many of their rank and file members, which is exactly what you want. I'll dismiss the attorney who also represents professional athletes. That leaves the bizarre and inaccurate listing of James McCourt who made $300,297 in salary in 2014 with an additional $60,442 in disbursements for official business, while guiding his union to steady increases in their net assets, even during the difficult post 2008 cycle. The DOL LM2 site is a little more accurate than your source as they post facts, not propaganda.
Bottom line is union leaders make far less proportionate to their members than do corporate CEO's.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Bottom line is union leaders make far less proportionate to their members than do corporate CEO's.

Not to mention, full-time UPS employee's are paid considerately more....

than the average person with a high school education.

Members that complain about what any elected official makes, are the ones that

wouldn't do (or even attempt to do) what it takes to fulfill an elected position.

90% of the job, is listening to people complain.

Rarely, do you get a pat on the back.... saying "good job". It happens, but not often.

The running joke amongst any elected officials (including Stewards) is;

"Today you're a hero.... tomorrow you're a zero".

But, it doesn't stop some people from trying. :wink:

-Bug-

Inthegame

Not to mention, full-time UPS employee's are paid considerately more....

than the average person with a high school education.

Members that complain about what any elected official makes, are the ones that

wouldn't do (or even attempt to do) what it takes to fulfill an elected position.

90% of the job, is listening to people complain.

Rarely, do you get a pat on the back.... saying "good job". It happens, but not often.

The running joke amongst any elected officials (including Stewards) is;

"Today you're a hero.... tomorrow you're a zero".

But, it doesn't stop some people from trying. :wink:

-Bug-
Hey BUG, good job!