UPS CEO Would Like You to Know That, Unlike FedEx, Big Brown Is Doing Fine in the Amazon Age

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS CEO Would Like You to Know That, Unlike FedEx, Big Brown Is Doing Fine in the Amazon Age - Fortune

Not that long ago, Wall Street fretted that tradition-bound United Parcel Service Inc. would lag nimble FedEx Corp., with its fully automated package-sorting hubs, in the race to cash in from surging shipments tied to e-commerce.

It hasn’t turned out that way.

A $20 billion investment spree detailed by UPS Chief Executive Officer David Abney last year, a plan that initially rattled Wall Street, is bearing fruit. Profit margins are improving even as 112-year-old Big Brown copes with swelling volume from voracious online shoppers, who are typically less lucrative to serve than business customers.

“We’re on a real solid trajectory, and I think we’re going to get the benefits of transformation for many years to come,” Abney said in a recent interview at his Atlanta office.

DriverNerd

Abney said UPS is ready for the shift at Amazon

If UPS is ready for what Amazon is going to bring, I'd be very surprised. Fedex acknowledged that Amazon is going to be a major problem in the future and is dealing with it head on (even hurting their stock in the process) and cutting ties ASAP.

Boywondr

The truth never changes.
“We’re on a real solid trajectory, and I think we’re going to get the benefits of transformation for many years to come,” Abney said in a recent interview at his Atlanta office.
In other words the transformation from real package car drivers to 22.4s were a great deal for stockholders.