UPS Christmas party?

Mustang Sally

Loyal UPS wife
Not sure if this is the right place to post this, if not I apologize.

Does your center have a Christmas party? If so, is it any good? Fun? The center my husband works for does not have them any more, and when they did it was lame. I guess the company is too cheap to do it, they figure the obligatory turkey is enough. What do all of you think? As hard as you work during the holidays, they could at least take you out for dinner, or something. Maybe most people don't care.

switchoff

Yah we have one. It's not sponsored by the company at all though. About 30+ (out of 100) drivers get together at a local pub and just get sloshed. A few of the management people even show up. It's good to see people you work with everyday not in their browns.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
No, we don't have one either. Once, about twenty years ago, we drew names to buy each other gifts. I got a solid brown dress shirt, no kidding. We don't do that anymore. We did get together and party at a supervisor's house once, that was a lot of fun. We also used to go down the street to a pizza joint and eat and drink a lot of beer after work courtesy of UPS back then. Those days are long gone!!!!:wink:

E

El Jibaro

We have never had a Chritsmas party ,instead we get together at the parking lot ahhh and no more turkey since tree years ago ,now a value coupon of 15 dollars

rod

Retired 22 years
Yea we have a catered lunch and night shift has a catered dinner
The only ones we ever had were not put on by the company. We would just set a date (after Christmas) and everybody meet at a local watering hole and drink beer and pay for their own food. It was always a lot of fun. By the way if you check the world of BIG business you will find that very few of them (I would say probably none) pay for the food and beverage at a Christmas party for the employees. They might pay for a banquet room and decorations but the food and beverages are paid for by those attending.( usually you sign up in advance if you are attending and then pay x amount for your choice of chicken, fish or some cheap steak). To get a REAL company paid for party you have to work at a small business. I would also imagine if you were in upper management at UPS their party tab would be picked up completely by corporate.

over9five

Staff member
UPS has got to be the ONLY company in the US who doesn't have a Christmas party or a Summer outing for employees and their families.

Kinda sad.

aspenleaf

At my last company our holiday party was cancelled because they laid off 1/3 of our workforce and they didn't want to send the wrong message. I'd rather skip the party and just have a job. Of course the company still sent out holiday cards to everyone that went on about how great we'd be the next year. Very classy to those who lost thier job 3 weeks before Christmas.

I think many companies in the US do throw holiday parties. I think that if you want a party have one and invite those you want to want there.

We don't have a party at my center but we do take turns bringing in food during peak and they let us have a little longer break so we can eat the food.

rod

Retired 22 years
UPS has got to be the ONLY company in the US who doesn't have a Christmas party or a Summer outing for employees and their families.

Kinda sad.
yes it is sad but that is the wave of the future. Very few companies pay for employee parties. Heck most of them don't even want to pay for health benifits. I'm afraid it's only going to get worse.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
I dont expect jack from this company in regards to "Extras." And maybe its not really their job to pay for anything more than a safety lunch of the standard ups hot dogs and chili lunch. Typical UPS. Personally I really dont expect to be working here in 10 years. Not because I dont like this company, but because something is going to happen like another company buying ups or something else, strike , lockout, etc, etc. The sad thing about it is that I dont believe that competition, or the union is the thing that is going to bury this company, but ourselves, including management eating ourselves from the inside outward. :hang:WE(as a company) ARE HANGING OURSELVES.

dodptsup

Last year our manager brought in a couple of big boxes of Wal-Mart fried chicken, and opened up one of those big gallon cans of baked beans, stuck a spoon in it(never even heated it), and set out a couple of bags of chips. What a guy!

hoser

Industrial Slob
Guys on our shift are going on a pub crawl. It's going to be a complete and utter gong show. Then denny's afterwards. That'll be sweet.

Last year our manager brought in a couple of big boxes of Wal-Mart fried chicken, and opened up one of those big gallon cans of baked beans, stuck a spoon in it(never even heated it), and set out a couple of bags of chips. What a guy!
Hey man, that came out of his (expense account) pocket!!!

:D

EAM_Master

Part-Time'er for Life!
I guess I should feel pretty good. On the friday before Christmas, out center manager had an open tab at a bar near the building. Free appetizers and drinks!!! Almost all the drivers showed up, some still in there browns and proceded to get trashed. Rumor had it that his tab was around $1200!!!