UPS claimed this to be brake failure

xkingx

a8-1.jpg

driver getting off interstate coming down ramp..cant stop..Three vehicles were taken out..

xkingx

a17.jpg

thats 2 of the 3 the driver hit...
a16.jpg

another angle
heres the guy (military guy/vehicle) who sustained the worst injuries
a1.jpg

imagine seeing this coming at you
a18.jpg

upsdude

I’m familiar with that accident and it was indeed brake failure. A rear wheel cylinder failed as was verified by the automotive department. If I remember correctly the driver had successfully completed 3 stops prior to the accident. My information came from a member of the automotive department and a member of management. I don’t work in the responsible center. It’s also my understanding the driver was NOT charged by either UPS or local police.

We were told during the following day’s PCM that a “proper Pre-trip” would have prevented the accident. After the PCM I asked for a jack, 2 jack stands, and an impact wrench so I could “Pre-Trip” my rear brakes. The supervisor gave me a confused look and denied my request.

Just a note for the non-mechanically inclined. Check the insides of the rear wheels on your package car. If you see fluid or a greasy substance on the inside of the most inner wheels and tires. DON’T DRIVE THE CAR, PERIOD. That fluid or grease could indicate a brake problem waiting to happen.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
I remember a long time ago I was following a P600 as he was going down an exit ramp to get off the interstate. His brakes failed too, he went completely airborne when he hit a small hill as he tried to stop in the grass. Somehow he kept it upright, and was able to gear down and stop somehow before he hit anything. It was an amazing sight.

rushfan

My pre-trip consists of checking under the vehicle for leaks. Also, when the engine is off, checking if a brake booster motor runs when I press the brake pedal.

If I've done those steps along with a proper pre-trip, there would be no way of checking for possible brake failure without the use of jack stands, pneumatic wrench, and all the other tools to check the condition of the brakes.

Someone to say, "a proper pre-trip would have prevented this" is just assenine.

S

speeddemon

I’m familiar with that accident and it was indeed brake failure. A rear wheel cylinder failed as was verified by the automotive department. If I remember correctly the driver had successfully completed 3 stops prior to the accident. My information came from a member of the automotive department and a member of management. I don’t work in the responsible center. It’s also my understanding the driver was NOT charged by either UPS or local police.

We were told during the following day’s PCM that a “proper Pre-trip” would have prevented the accident. After the PCM I asked for a jack, 2 jack stands, and an impact wrench so I could “Pre-Trip” my rear brakes. The supervisor gave me a confused look and denied my request.

Just a note for the non-mechanically inclined. Check the insides of the rear wheels on your package car. If you see fluid or a greasy substance on the inside of the most inner wheels and tires. DON’T DRIVE THE CAR, PERIOD. That fluid or grease could indicate a brake problem waiting to happen.

SO I guess from now on I should pull the transmission to check for problems there too?

A

Anon

I find it hard to believe this guy didn't lose his job. I can hear management ask "Why didn't you use your parking brake to stop?" I'm glad to see some centers(obviously this guys center)do understand there are such things as unavoidable accidents. Of course I do believe UPS lawyers will be spending quite a bit of time in court trying to settle lawsuits from those drivers.

EAM_Master

Part-Time'er for Life!
Maybe someday BEFORE too many people are killed, UPS will junk the old 600s and high step 8s.

I wouldn't count on it. It amazes me some of the stuff they do. I found out that the center I work at has the last P600 in Michigan, which is also the oldest package car in Michigan. The thing is a total POS. They just can't seem to get rid of it, but the P500 I drive almost everyday that is 10 years newer is scheduled to get scraped early next year. The really weird thing is that they just put a new motor, trans and front axle in it, just to remove it all when it goes to the scrapper.

wornoutupser

Brake Failure?
My P-5 has the warning unit on the dash that goes beep beep and flashes in sequence to notify you of what is wrong with the brakes. It has not worked in years and my car passes PMI EVERY time!

SmithBarney

Most important thing to do, is write up any potential problems, once a week.(at least)
Because if you have a failure of any kind, you'll be covered.

We had a truck, that leaked(not burned) 5-7qts of oil a day, I told the mechanic
that I'd be writing it up everyday, They said they weren't allowed to replace the engine till it failed(I guess the block or something was cracked)

U

UPS UPS UPS

Often there are obvious signs of a mechanical problem before failure occurs. Signs such as fluid leaks, odors, changes in operation, performance problems, slow cranking, spongy brake or clutch pedal, noises, gauge readings and many other symptoms are typically present before failure occurs.

For example:
Green fluid under the vehicle indicate there is a coolant leak and a failure will occur if the problem is not reported and addressed.
Visible fluid or brake fluid present in the vicinity of the wheels, or anywhere outside of the sealed brake system is an indication that failure will occur if the problem is not reported and addressed.
Metal to metal grinding sound when the brakes are applied indicates there is no brake lining remaining and is an indication that failure will occur if the problem is not reported and addressed.
Dim lights, slow cranking while starting indicates a charging system problem is an indication that failure will occur if the problem is not reported and addressed.

Most mechanical failures on UPS trucks DO NOT occur without warning. The same theory applies to personal vehicles. Does your personal car just stop working without clear and obvious signs? Not usually, but it will eventually fail if the signs are ignored.

On the road, and in the building, I observe missing marker lights, bald tires, fluid leaks, odors (burnt clutch and brake linings, coolant and electrical odors) and other obvious items that should have been detected and reported during pre-trips, post-trips and throughout the day during normal operation. These items go unreported and obviously un-repaired. Suppose it was reported and not repaired, does this mean it should be driven until it does fail just because “you’re covered” by reporting it? What if a problem is reported and no mechanic indicates that a repair was made? Drive it any way? What if the attempted repair didn’t resolve the problem? Drive it anyway? What if not reporting, or continuing to drive a vehicle with on obvious sign of a failure leads to a four vehicle accident and seriously injures or kills someone?

In the case of this brake failure accident it is possible that there were no obvious warning signs. There is not enough information posted to determine exactly what happened or what signs were present, even if the wheel cylinder was the cause.

There are mechanical failures that have no warning signs, but based upon what I see we could do a lot better at preventing most mechanical failures with a little attention to the warning signs and by following the DOT Pre-trip, post-trip and DVIR procedures.

For those of you talking jack stands, jacks, and removing transmissions you’re making ridiculous comments to inflame the situation.

Pay attention to the obvious warning signs and report them. Don’t operate the vehicle if the problem has not been addressed by a mechanic or qualified individual.

On you next trip through a UPS building look for the mechanical failure warning signs, fluid leaks, missing lights (indicates no pre-trip), odors and unusual noises. Walk over to the vehicle and look in the book. I’ll give you odds that the signs are not reported and possibly the book has not been filled out correctly for several days.

xkingx

want to add this happened back in September...
UPSDUDE..IF you look at the pix you can see that it was at the birdneck exit..he shot straight across the four lanes..stopping here. I was told by a delivery sup. he did use the hand brake but it didnt help.
a14.jpg

a2.jpg

the UPS driver actually was back driving within a week..he recieved stitches in his forearm.
as for the military guy here's a pix of him...

a10.jpg

xkingx

Most important thing to do, is write up any potential problems, once a week.(at least)
Because if you have a failure of any kind, you'll be covered.

We had a truck, that leaked(not burned) 5-7qts of oil a day, I told the mechanic
that I'd be writing it up everyday, They said they weren't allowed to replace the engine till it failed(I guess the block or something was cracked)

funny, a mechanic and carwasher told me the same thing..

trickpony1

fredlyOO said: "because if you have a failure of any kind, you'll be covered.".

I got news for ya...........

if you have a failure of any kind, especially if it involves third party liability, see how fast those filed DVIR books disappear. The company can then skirt liabilty or shift it to someone else (namely the driver) by saying they didn't know anything about it.

Seen it happen...........

hoser

Industrial Slob
what's that brown stuff on the driver door?

fredlyOO said: "because if you have a failure of any kind, you'll be covered.".

I got news for ya...........

if you have a failure of any kind, especially if it involves third party liability, see how fast those filed DVIR books disappear. The company can then skirt liabilty or shift it to someone else (namely the driver) by saying they didn't know anything about it.

Seen it happen...........
I don't think it will. And the only reason why is because the courts won't allow it. It was a UPS owned vehicle maintained by UPS personell. The employee is indemnified, as long as he/she did whatever was reasonably possible under good faith (a pre-trip walk-around)