UPS Driver Held At Gunpoint - Forced to drive to police station

Keneezie

I heard about this at work this morning. Supposedly it was a 24 year old who had been cover driving for just a few weeks. He stopped because he thought the guy was waiting on a package.

UPDATE @ 9:30 p.m.
ELIZABETH, W.Va. (AP) -- A WVSP spokesman says a trooper fatally shot an armed man outside of a detachment in Wirt County.
Sgt. Michael Baylous says the trooper was responding to a report of shots fired late Wednesday afternoon at the Elizabeth detachment from outside the empty building. As the trooper arrived, he was confronted by a man with a rifle and responded by shooting the man.
The man, who wasn't immediately identified, was pronounced dead at the scene.
Baylous says the man had apparently forced a UPS driver in Ritchie County to take him to the Elizabeth detachment. The man allegedly got out of the delivery truck, walked across the parking lot and opened fire on the detachment. The UPS driver wasn't injured.

http://www.wsaz.com/news/headlines/100475564.html

brett636

Atleast the driver was ok. I was robbed at gunpoint earlier this year on my route so I have an idea of what he went through. It definitely makes you look differently at people who approach you on road. Cudos to the police who took that slimeball out of existance so as to save the taxpayers the money to feed, cloth, and house him for the next several years and or decades.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
DAMN!! It's getting dangerous out there......
Getting?

Atleast the driver was ok. I was robbed at gunpoint earlier this year on my route so I have an idea of what he went through. It definitely makes you look differently at people who approach you on road. Cudos to the police who took that slimeball out of existance so as to save the taxpayers the money to feed, cloth, and house him for the next several years and or decades.
You've got some splaining to do. Details, please!

UPSGUY72

This could be a new safety video... What to do with a gun pointed at you!

Really I am glad the driver is ok.

New safety video we are taught not to carry alot of money and that if we get held up give the person what ever he wants nothing is worth your life. Especially a couple of dollars or pack car full of packages.

That driver did a great job on doing what ever it took to make it home that night.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
New safety video we are taught not to carry alot of money and that if we get held up give the person what ever he wants nothing is worth your life. Especially a couple of dollars or pack car full of packages.

That driver did a great job on doing what ever it took to make it home that night.

Just a joke on a friday night, about safety videos.

I see the driver being terminated. Or if he's lucky being charged with an injury, should have know that the customer was packing! Really, I'm glad the driver is ok! I'm just cynically, don't let them give you a hard time.

edd_tv

Cardboard picker upper
im glad this young driver is ok physically. they offered him counseling in an effort to help ease the mental trauma he went through, which I thought was an upstanding thing to do coming from this company. you never know what coming around the bend out there, these are scary times we are living in.

me personally, i always hide my wallet in the truck, the only valuable thing i carry is my phone. they can have it all. hell i'll even set the truck up for them so they can finish the route!!!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
\\

Like your John Wayne quote.

Ever here this one Ted Williams is the guy John Wayne played in all those movies.
THanks for the rep,,and yes I have heard that before,its remarkable how much The greatest hitter who ever lived looked like the ""Duke" in later years,It';s also a damb shame what his kid did to him!!!! Welcome to the B.C CAPTIAN !!!

canam450

hello fellow upsers..I'm the one that was held at gunpoint and I am 24 but ive been driving for three years not three weeks..I was just wanting to come on here and see if anyone else has been in this situation and see if they can give me any advice..Two days after it happened i was called to see if i wanted to come back and drive, which i didnt but i felt that was wrong for them to ask just two days after i almost died..Ive been seeing a counselor but its not helping to much and it seems like everyone but my union brothers is trying to get me back to work asap..if anyone could give me some advice i would appreciate it

over9five

Staff member
Welcome to Brown Cafe, Corvette.

You obviously did everything right to come out of that situation unharmed. The dirtbag's dead, time to move on. Take your driving job back unless you know where you can make better money.

Good luck, hope that didn't sound insensitive.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

hello fellow upsers..I'm the one that was held at gunpoint and I am 24 but ive been driving for three years not three weeks..I was just wanting to come on here and see if anyone else has been in this situation and see if they can give me any advice..Two days after it happened i was called to see if i wanted to come back and drive, which i didnt but i felt that was wrong for them to ask just two days after i almost died..Ive been seeing a counselor but its not helping to much and it seems like everyone but my union brothers is trying to get me back to work asap..if anyone could give me some advice i would appreciate it

First of all, I am glad that you are physically OK. I cannot imagine the emotional toll this has taken on you.

Now, this may sound a bit cold (it is not meant to) but I agree that the best thing for you at this point is to get back behind the wheel. I will explain by relaying a real life situation. My son had a friend commit suicide during the prom. The details are not important but I tell you this because it really affected David. He didn't want to do anything, talk to anybody or go anywhere, much less work. His mother and I let him work this out on his own. A week or so went by and he wanted to call in sick to work again and I told him that he needed to go to work. In fact, I told him I would be there in 10 minutes to pick him and bring him to work. I was trying to get some normalcy back in to his life and I thought work (Mickey D's) would get his mind off of what had happened. He was pissed at me but later thanked me as it did get his mind off of it and helped him to move on. Notice I didn't say forget--you never forget, but you do have to move on.

The only one who can make this decision for you is you but my advice is to get back behind the wheel.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
The only one who can make this decision for you is you but my advice is to get back behind the wheel.

I have to agree with Upstate on this one. You went through a traumatic experience that was of no fault of your own. But you have to move on. We had a driver that was held up delivering to an apartment (criminals are so stupid), but he was back at work the next day. The same thing happened to another driver in a Mall parking lot in the middle of the day, but he was back to work the next day. You just happened to come across an extreme nutcase, that shouldn't ever happen again.