UPS drivers using vehicle navigation systems - please read

nikatnott

Sat-Nav users – Earn £25 (approx $50) for about 1 hour’s work by participating in an online navigation system user study conducted by the University of Nottingham.

To find out more visit www.freewebs.com/participant-information

Please note this study is completely non-commercial in nature, and a summary of the results will be posted back here as soon as they are available.

We are particularly trying to recruit drivers like yourselves who may use navigation systems regularly for unfamiliar journeys

Thank you

Nick Forbes
Principal researcher
University of Nottingham (UK)

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Easier to photocopy pages in a map. Too much time wasted in punching in addresses in a GPS.

Isn't that the truth. If you are too stupid to read a road map, this job is not for you. There isn't anyway IE is going to give an extra time allowance to punch in addresses on a GPS. The only time I can think of a GPS being useful might be for Feeder Driver on an unfamiliar run or maybe someone running EAMs who isn't familiar with the area. As far as knocking out 150 stops and relying on manually entering info into a GPS, you would be out there all night.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
I have always had to laugh at these people that love talking about getting or using their new GPS units. If anyone out there that really could use a GPS unit it would be us when having to run a route blind. Most people can't find their :censored2: with both hands much less find 100 or more stops in a days time.

farhantx

I used a very good GPS on my new route, just to see if it makes any difference, but it failed to fulfill any of my needs. GPSs out there are still not smart enough to help UPS Package car drivers, but they’re very helpful for anyone who is driving on long routes, like feeder drivers. I have seen some of them using it as well. I use GPS as well when I’m going out of town or out of state, it’s very helpful and you just drive like a local resident.

CFLBrown

The only thing I could use a GPS for is to keep my trail for the day and pop it in and see it on a map. Other then that. It's pointless.

I'm another user of GPS as well for other things. I like features of rerouting around certain roads I may not know, or the fact the units will give me the time of arrival, etc. I still keep a map in the car on a trip anyway.

rod

Retired 22 years
Nav systems are for the most part usless for finding addresses. The area where I live went to the so called E911 adresses about 6 years ago and to this day anybody that tries to find my house by map-quest or any other nav system will end up at least 5 miles away. I did go to the fire dept and their system pinpoints my house but none of the civilian crap is even close. Save your money

nikatnott

thanks for the input guys anyway, i didnt realise you didnt travel in unfamilair areas, i found this site by searching for courier etc forums. Not to bia my research or anything, but the general consensus im getting so far is that the technology is not quite there yet, maybe give it a few more years before you begin trusting it properly

dirtcurt

I use GPS for trailing, not tracking addreses. I run a long mountain route(2-4 stops phr). The GPS I carry is to see my stopped time vs. moving time. I can track actual miles and average speed, stopped time, moving time and elevation. A typical day 260 miles 6-7hrs drive time stopped time 2.5-4 hours. Average speed for day 18-25 mph and average moving speed 30-37mph. Average elevation change (verticle only) 15-17k. Don't think UPS can't see this if they don't want to. Every leg on my GPS will show all data(speed, location, time etc.)

I used to drive feeder as well and we get fog so bad here that you can't see 20 feet ahead on real bad days. Most nights 100ft. GPS shows exits and man does that help when hauling a 70ft snake behind you. Most of the time you can read the exit sign as you pass under it.

And last, has anybody seen the GPS Jammers on EBAY? Do they work?