UPS, FedEx Fees on Heavy Packages to Hit Consumers and Merchants

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS, FedEx Fees on Heavy Packages to Hit Consumers and Merchants - MSN

FedEx Corp. and United Parcel Service Inc. are escalating their war on bulky items by levying $24 fees on packages weighing more than 50 pounds.

Previously, packages weighing more than 70 pounds triggered additional handling surcharges. But the carriers are lowering their thresholds as part of an annual round of rate increases that could cause millions of packages to be hit by the fee—or force customers to change their shipping practices to avoid it.

The number of packages affected by the change could be significant. Neither company responded to questions about the estimated revenue the new fees would generate, but Shipware LLC, a shipping consulting firm, estimates that 14.5% of packages sent by its 100 largest shipper clients would be hit by the $24 fee under the new rules, up from 8.4%.

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Some really should use freight division when some of the oversized and extremely heavy stuff gets by thru to standard package delivery...

FXG can't call for additional employees for this:

EQD-78_Team_Lift_large.png

But somewhat agree with the excessive fee for 50 lbs... That's the majority of the chewy.com boxes then... keep it at over 70 or extreme iregs

PT Car Washer

Some really should use freight division when some of the oversized and extremely heavy stuff gets by thru to standard package delivery...

But somewhat agree with the excessive fee for 50 lbs... That's the majority of the chewy.com boxes then... keep it at over 70 or extreme iregs

When have you ever seen two delivery drivers on a UPS truck outside of Peak? It is usually a PT air driver cleaning up the building after the regular drivers have left.

OrioN

Only driver helpers with those bid drivers doing team lift... and the occasional old driver being helped by another on my former route

OrioN

They're driving in small LLVs... no way they can handle the oversized and iregs on top of their envelopes , bags, and small boxes

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
My irregs dropped significantly this peak. First time I've ever been able to fit over 500 pieces on my car. If you are going to take up weight and space capacity, you gotta pay for it.