UPS Health and Safety.......

P

parttimejon

i never said we were victims. nor did i imply it. but you spun it so it sounds that way huh. my point is some management is to blame and some employees are to blame. ups is a large corporation who cares nothing about the little man. And you drivers making 80 grand a year. you are the little man. i'm just a peon. But i'm fine with this cause i care nothing about them either. I'm just here for a paycheck. I have a life outside of ups.

W

wigman

Drivers do not make 80 grand. I am a senior driver and make aboout 50. There are about 250 drivers in my building in metro philly that make about the same.

D

dannyboy

The only person in our centers to make 80 grand a year was a part timer. He made 79,540 in 2000. Our drivers are lucky to make 62-63 grand with lots of overtime.

As to them and us mentality......Im just tired of the crying that some hourly do. If it was not the over 70 thing,it would be air conditioning, getting your hair wet when it rains, you name it. No matter what gets fixed, there are allways life and death problems that these type of employees need fixed. And notice I said needs fixed. Every thing is wrong with everybody else, and Im perfect! Rarely do they ever offer to fix a problem, hell thats someone elses problem, not mine.

Try taking responsibility for yourself, your suroundings, and your actions/lack of action. And kinda look out for the other guy, thats what made this country great, not just looking out for me. And that does include taking the time to mark the o/70. But on the other hand, we have an inside employee named Turtle that wants to weigh any package over 45-50 pounds to see if it needs the tape. While I applaude his dedication to the thought of safety.......well you get my drift? Oh and his name? it just decribes exactly his sense of urgency.

If you see something done wrong or unsafe, it is your responsibility to let someone know. If they dont fix the problem, go higher until you do find someone that will tackle it.

d

W

wigman

Great post dannyboy!!! I'll drink to that!!
cheers.gif

P

parecasa

Dannyboy,
Thats my problem!!!!! No one wants to fix the problem. Do I have to do my job and management's job to? Give me a cut of the bonus and Ill do their job!! No one cares about safety unless OSHA is coming.

T

tieguy

If your philosophy is that Management is expected to see everything then I'm sure your right. Otherwise each of us has to take responsibility for those things that we see.

U

ups_vette

parecasa:
When you say "noone wants to fix the problem", does that include YOU? No need to answer. From your posts, you seem more interested in complaining about something than fixing it. With your attitude of "it's not my job", I can see where you're a real asset to UPS (in your own mind).

P

parecasa

UPS is a great place to work. I really like my job. I one of the very few that sees something wrong with UPS!!!!!!!!!!!

P

parttimejon

i love my job too(sarcastically)Our management is great(sniker)everyone cares about me and i care about them(if you believe this you need to be in management)

D

dannyboy

If there is/are safety issues involved, talk to your management team. First your sup, then his sup. Go as far as you can. If there is no action then file a greivance. Unfortunatly when management gets too caught up in meeting their goals, they loose site of the big picture.

In my center, any hourly can come to me with a legit safety issue and know it will be taken care of. Why? Because management knows that I will work with them to fix any problem that I can. If I cant fix it, I will move up the chain of command, even to the regional office if the issue warrents it. The problem will be fixed and a deadline for getting it done met. If not, then there will be paperwork involving the union. Its just that simple. I allways try to work within the system first, then outside help if nothing gets done. And they know when I come to them with a problem that I am serious about getting it fixed. Work with your management team, get a relationship going to where you work together on safety. If you spend time fighting each other, then the problem will not get solved, or it will take more time and energy to correct the situation. And fix your attitude. IT sucks.

d

U

ups_vette

danny:
You, and the vast majority of UPSers, are what has made UPS successful. It's called "working together". As long as there are people like you, doing your best in every situation to correct problems, Ups will remaine successful.
I know, from personal experience, that not all management people think and work as you, just as I know not all hourly people do. This is just a fact of life and UPS must work to correct those people, by whatever means required.
parttimejon:
Thankfully you are in the minority. A very small minority I would add who goes out of their way to try to find fault, and then instead of helping fix the problem, makes it a much larger problem than it really is.

P

parecasa

Dannyboy,
I talked to my manager Friday who over the "Safety Committee" and he told me that I need to work with management or they will not fight for my job if i screw up. Does this mean that being hard nosed at UPS about safety and talking to upper management about making changes to make our center safe will open up a hornets nest. I understand what you were saying about talking to management keep working to get the problem solved is one remedy to my problem. I just realize the higher I go up the chain the more vindictiveness and intimidation I encounter from the lower management who get in trouble for not fixing the problem. I really don't have a bad attitude towards UPS {as all who read my post think} I am just frustrated that nothing is being done.

icon19.gif

D

dannyboy

Look at it this way, If you did something that hurt someones feelings, you would want to be the first to know. Now what happens if this person goes and tells others, sometimes many others instead of coming to you. What would you feel like? Wouldnt it been much better if they would have come to you first and let you correct the problem?

Not think of it like your local managers. They have an operation to run. They are looked upon by their superiors to run it correctly and at the least cost possible. Now they have a safety problem that you bring to their attention. If they try to take action, work with them to fix the problem. Dont insult them by going over their heads. You will find that this will work the best in 99% of any job related problems. Its called communication and respect.

That being said, there are problems that management can/will not fix. After exhausting the above step, this is the next one to take. Either file a safety greivance, or go out side the center for help. Depending on the situation or safety problem, you could go either or both directions. Then there is also the local or federal authorities. But I would never use them unless I had tried all and any other means available.

If you want maybe I can give you some help. Let me know. Email me if you want. Sometimes talking to someone that could help, gets things moving.

d Keep a positive attitude and things will happen! And no, every thing is not allways peachy, but we/they are working on it!

R

rachel2241999

Danny Boy,that is one thing i have noticed about some workers,they are always ready to tell everybody about tbeir ill feelings before they do
that person

U

ups_vette

Parecasa:
Perhaps I miss read your intensions. If so, I regret that.
With any problem, it's best to always try to work within the system first. If that fails, and the problem is severe, then you are obligated to go outside the system.
If the local management team doesn't, or woun't, respond, you have the right to demand WHY. Management has the responsibility to explain their reasons for not correcting the problem, especially where the health and safety of people is involved. You, on the other hand, have the responsibility to show management that a problem exists and what the results will be if not corrected.