UPS Integration of Future Technologies

ThePackageDeli

Virtual(VR) and augmented(AR) realities will have a profound impact on the world, much like the impact of the internet and the cell phone. And it's also going to change the way companies do business in the near future. Ten years from now, UPS drivers will likely be wearing augmented reality glasses. The glasses could display information such as turn-by-turn directions, message notifications, the package manifest, and could even include a built-in LED scanner. Say bye-bye to the DIAD all together.

The future is an exciting place to ponder.

35years

Gravy route
Ten years from now technology will have crashed and we will be living in a world not unlike 1930. Don't get too excited pondering.

Spanky250

Virtual(VR) and augmented(AR) realities will have a profound impact on the world, much like the impact of the internet and the cell phone. And it's also going to change the way companies do business in the near future. Ten years from now, UPS drivers will likely be wearing augmented reality glasses. The glasses could display information such as turn-by-turn directions, message notifications, the package manifest, and could even include a built-in LED scanner. Say bye-bye to the DIAD all together.

Yeah yeah... I've been hearing that we were going to have flying cars for 40 years now. Still don't see any.

Of course on the flip side, thank god we don't have flying cars. Most people can't drive in two dimensions, can you imagine the carnage if they had to drive in three dimensions?

You sound like my son. He's so sure that literally everything is going to be automated in the next ten years. Personally I doubt it will happen on such a large scale in my lifetime, maybe not even in his lifetime.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
Every pair of glasses will break in two weeks. Why weren’t you following the glasses, they will ask. They will want to know why we haven’t hit our required 50 stops per hour that is now achievable with UPS AR. Every few stops our entire field of vision will be taken up by a message from the center. “HAD A TIER 3 IN THE DISTRICT! NEVER BACK UNLESS YOUR GLASSES ARE DISPLAYING THE REAR CAMERA VIEW! IT’S NOT WORTH IT.”

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider
Turn by turn GPS has been a thing for 20 years. UPS just implemented it in package cars a few years ago. We are not on the cutting edge of technology. If they released those glasses tomorrow you MIGHT see UPS use it by the time your kid retires. They aren’t going to spend money on anything that isn’t absolutely necessary.

Analbumcover

ControlPkgs

Considering how long it took UPS to successfully roll out Orion 3.0, we might see AR glasses sometime around 2050.

Spanky250

You have ORION 3 already?

We do, and it was terrible at first. Now they've activated the function where it can recalculate your route during the day on road, and it went from terrible to horrendous. You can deliver a stop, then for no discernable reason it "recalculates" and poof, this next several stops you already had in u your head are no longer your next several stops, it's taking you somewhere complement different. Its maddening.

I should add, I only somewhat followed it before, now I completely ignore it.

35years

Gravy route
We do, and it was terrible at first. Now they've activated the function where it can recalculate your route during the day on road, and it went from terrible to horrendous. You can deliver a stop, then for no discernable reason it "recalculates" and poof, this next several stops you already had in u your head are no longer your next several stops, it's taking you somewhere complement different. Its maddening.

I should add, I only somewhat followed it before, now I completely ignore it.
Sounds like money to me. Less efficient = less work. Especially when you are on the 9.5 list

35years

Gravy route
Not the way I look at it. I work to live, I don't live to work. Making my day harder pisses me off.
But look at the big picture...Being less efficient on a daily basis will bring your stops down in the future. Less stops=less work=easier days.

New guys usually take years to realize... that which costs you time every day will save you work.

Yep, I take all the NDA I can from other drivers. They think they are saving time today, but thier stop counts go up and mine goes down. More miles, less efficient stops=less work on a daily basis.

rustys954rr

But look at the big picture...Being less efficient on a daily basis will bring your stops down in the future. Less stops=less work=easier days.

New guys usually take years to realize... that which costs you time every day will save you work.

Yep, I take all the NDA I can from other drivers. They think they are saving time today, but thier stop counts go up and mine goes down. More miles, less efficient stops=less work on a daily basis.
Taking NDAs is one thing but following Orion and digging boxes out of the 6000 shelf right away doesn't make for easier days. The less time I spend in that oven in the summer the better, I'd take an extra 20 stops over spending an extra hour digging for :censored2: in the back of the truck.