UPS " My Choice"

old levi's

blank space
It has been just about a month since UPS My Choice was launched and we have had a grand total of zero My Choice deliveries in my center. I am curious as to what impact, if any, the program is having in your center.

Re: Ups my choice

I don't think I will see too many but if they come down the pipeline, I will deal with in real time. Not going to fret over it now.​

Just another day on the Love Boat....................

From 3 weeks ago.
Nothing yet.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
None here, either. I think my customer's are pretty satisfied with my arrival time, as is, so I don't really see "My Choice" affecting me.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
Lol, no kidding! They don't even get their delivery before their pick-up a lot of the time!!!!

That is one of my faviote parts of EDD I get to delivery 45 mins after another driver has done the pick up. I get OCA airs and do them well another driver is doing a pick up across the street.

EDD would be a nice system if the people runnning it had a clue about how it should be run.

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
I deliver to a community that is in the middle of a 3 way split. So at any given time, these consignee's may see 1 of 3 driver's. Oh, and this community is right in the middle of the new route I bid on.

pretzel_man

It has been just about a month since UPS My Choice was launched and we have had a grand total of zero My Choice deliveries in my center. I am curious as to what impact, if any, the program is having in your center.

When you say you have had zero MyChoice deliveries, I assume you mean the committed delivery window (2 hour window)?

There is more to MyChoice than that and most things are transparent to drivers.

I signed up for MyChoice. I have had many MyChoice deliveries so far. None of them included the 2 hour option.

I have friends who used some of the other features like redirect to a different address.

As a customer, it seems okay. Nothing spectacular, but I could see needing some of the features.

Whether this turns out to be a good thing for UPS is yet to be seen. It would be hard for FedEx to match this....

It certainly has NOT been the doom and gloom that many here thought it would be.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

No, I have not had any deliveries with the committed time windows.

No, it has not been the "doom and gloom" that many here thought it would be.

When you say that you have had any My Choice deliveries, how have they differed from previous non-My Choice deliveries?

pretzel_man

No, I have not had any deliveries with the committed time windows.

No, it has not been the "doom and gloom" that many here thought it would be.

When you say that you have had any My Choice deliveries, how have they differed from previous non-My Choice deliveries?

I am not a premium customer. I took the route of the free sign up.

When I have a delivery coming, I get an email like before. Its formatted a little better and it shows the approximate delivery window (for hour estimate).

If I go to UPS.Com and track one of those deliveries, I get some options. I can redirect it, hold it, etc.

As I said, nothing spectacular but its nice. The driver would not even know I'm a mychoice customer.

I have thought about paying the $40 per year however. As a premium customer you have some other options. You also get a delivery calendar. I thought that may come in hany as I shop for Christmas.

The hope is that over time, consignees see the value of MyChoice and that it makes things easier. Since FedEx will have trouble matching this service, it could give us an advantage and reverse the volume loss. I don't know if it will work, but so far I like it okay.....

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
Most of my customers do not know how or do not care to read the delivery notice. When I check the box "The sender required signature at time of delivery" and write void over the back of the notice, they still sign the back of the notice, expecting the parcel to be left the next day. How many of them will actually read the blue box and log on to UPS My Choice? My guess is not very many!

bigbrownhen

I haven't seen any My Choice with commits either. I did mention it to a few of my resi customers who have a home based business that are frequent stops. I can see the Premium level be a bennifit to them.

As a driver, you can catch one of these and kick it off to a different driver closer to the area at the commit time if needed. One of the bennifits of PAS/EDD. It isn't perfect by any means, but a great tool for drivers to "tweak" their day a little.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
No committed stops here yet, at least on my route.

I still think a smart phone app that let the customer communicate to the driver via text message would be a more popular option. We could generate a huge amount of revenue by charging a fee, and it would save money by reducing send-agains, miles and on-road time.

'Lord Brown's bidding'

Pretzel, I am curious as to why you think it would be hard for FedEx to match MyChoice? How are they set up differently?

As an aside, some weeks ago a person made a comment to me about how UPS is going to have a lot of commercials this year during the Super Bowl. This wasn't a UPS employee. A couple of days later we were introduced to MyChoice, and I thought about the comment that person made.

pretzel_man

Pretzel, I am curious as to why you think it would be hard for FedEx to match MyChoice? How are they set up differently?

As an aside, some weeks ago a person made a comment to me about how UPS is going to have a lot of commercials this year during the Super Bowl. This wasn't a UPS employee. A couple of days later we were introduced to MyChoice, and I thought about the comment that person made.

Although it may not be apparent, MyChoice utilize lots of internal UPS technology. It uses DPS, PAS, EDD, etc. As far as I know, FedEx doesn't have that technology.

In addition, FedEx's ground operation is delivered by contractors. That also reduces their ability to match this service.

I hope the Marketing people are right about the need for these type of services. If they are right, it can provide long term benefit to UPS.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

P-man, what do you think of Sober's idea of a smart phone app that would allow the customer (for a fee) to communicate directly with the driver through the DIAD (monitored by the center team) to make arrangements for delivery of their package(s)?

AKCoverMan

I had one a couple of weeks ago... it was not a Premium My Choice customer just the free version. Get a printout with my call tags showing its a My Choice and the four hour estimated window. Of course this section had been moved from its original route to the split car I was assigned and the split was on shelf 8. The window was 1045-1445.

center manager came by my car to make sure I would deliver it in the window.. got text messages during the day asking me about it.

I broke and ran that neighborhood so as to be in the window and all was well. It was a four plex with secure common door so not normally DRable but the cnee had used the electronic signature option and the DIAD prompted me to release the package.

No commit time showed in the DIAD.

Haven't had another one nor have I heard of anyone else having one in my center.

pretzel_man

I had one a couple of weeks ago... it was not a Premium My Choice customer just the free version. Get a printout with my call tags showing its a My Choice and the four hour estimated window. Of course this section had been moved from its original route to the split car I was assigned and the split was on shelf 8. The window was 1045-1445.

center manager came by my car to make sure I would deliver it in the window.. got text messages during the day asking me about it.

I broke and ran that neighborhood so as to be in the window and all was well. It was a four plex with secure common door so not normally DRable but the cnee had used the electronic signature option and the DIAD prompted me to release the package.

No commit time showed in the DIAD.

Haven't had another one nor have I heard of anyone else having one in my center.

Wow.... That really surprises me.

The centers were not even supposed to know what time the four hour window is.... It was supposed to be an approximation without any change in the center's or driver's work.....

pretzel_man

P-man, what do you think of Sober's idea of a smart phone app that would allow the customer (for a fee) to communicate directly with the driver through the DIAD (monitored by the center team) to make arrangements for delivery of their package(s)?

I have really tried to think through this many times.

I cannot see UPS allowing customers to connect directly to the drivers' DIAD. Not only because of the cost, but the lack of control....

As you said, I did read the idea to have it go through the center. The OMS' have so much to do now, I don't know how that impacts them.

On the other hand, MyChoice created an infrastructure to do some similar things. Maybe they will merge the MyChoice concept with more connectivity to customers in real time. Some MyChoice options do go right to the DIAD for delivery requests....

I'm still unsure what I think. Its an interesting concept.