UPS paying $2.25 million to avoid pregnancy discrimination lawsuit

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS paying $2.25 million to avoid pregnancy discrimination lawsuit - Freightwaves

The agreement reached with the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) will provide payment to UPS workers who weren’t properly compensated while they were pregnant between 2012 and 2014. The settlement payment will be primarily the difference between short-term disability payments they received and the amount they would have received if they had been allowed to work, according to the EEOC.

The agency pointed out that until UPS changed its pregnancy policy in 2015, the company had provided light-duty assignments to employees who had been injured on the job, those with certain driving restrictions and those with disabilities – but not to pregnant employees. A UPS driver subsequently alleged that not doing so violated the Pregnancy Discrimination Act (PDA), which amended the Civil Rights Act of 1964 by prohibiting pregnancy discrimination.

The agreement also clarifies that UPS’ obligation to pregnant workers extends to both unionized and non-unionized workers.

DriverNerd

My wife went through two pregnancies while working at UPS, and their policies then were awful. She needed doctors notes constantly with the stuff UPS was trying to make her lift. If they did change their policy I'm glad.