UPS profit beats expectations as demand for next day service surges

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS profit beats expectations as demand for next day service surges - Reuters

United Parcel Service Inc (UPS.N) said on Wednesday a jump in demand for its Next Day Air service drove better-than-expected profit in the second quarter as large retailers rushed packages to online shoppers.

Shares of UPS jumped 8.6% to $114.33 in midday trading as the world’s biggest package delivery company also reiterated its 2019 forecast and said it was taking U.S. air volume from rivals.

UPS has been spending billions of dollars to modernize its network. Those investments - which include more automated package sorting facilities and new cargo planes - are helping to contain the cost of delivering small numbers of e-commerce packages to far-flung home addresses.

ManInBrown

So when do we start charging Amazon what we should be charging them?
We could have put them out of business 10 years ago. They wouldve drowned in their own vomit trying to deliver all their crap without us. Now theyre still in business, and a viable competitor because of us. Great job UPS executives. Mind boggling that they dont call Amazon today and tell them, you are paying full freight or we are done.

Another thing i dont understand is why we dont become an Amazon. We have the network. Buy warehouses and start selling crap just like they do. We probably already own buildings that arent being utilized.

badpal

We could have put them out of business 10 years ago. They wouldve drowned in their own vomit trying to deliver all their crap without us. Now theyre still in business, and a viable competitor because of us. Great job UPS executives. Mind boggling that they dont call Amazon today and tell them, you are paying full freight or we are done.

Another thing i dont understand is why we dont become an Amazon. We have the network. Buy warehouses and start selling crap just like they do. We probably already own buildings that arent being utilized.
Thier big income comes from technology and cloud services. Not sure how much profit there is peddling thier stuff.