UPS Response to the superstorm on the East Coast

Integrity

Binge Poster
I was checking out upsers.com and I noticed that UPS is providing 1.5 million in aid.

This is very impressive.

I also saw that the hub in Edison, NJ was completely flooded.

I haven't really heard of any real personal stories here about the storm.

Does any BrownCafe members have any significant stories to share about the impact to themselves or their loved ones brought upon them by this storm?

Sincerely,
I

Big Babooba

We were told that if anybody had a generator that they were willing to loan to a UPSer in the affected area, UPS was collecting them and would deliver them to those that needed them.

kingOFchester

Monday 5am, log into UPSers and it showed building open.
6am get text from Sup we are working
8am at work and told we would work for about 4 hours.
830am told we are not working to go home and we are not getting paid.
Friday grievance filed for 8 hours.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Monday 5am, log into UPSers and it showed building open.
6am get text from Sup we are working
8am at work and told we would work for about 4 hours.
The lack of planning on their part constitutes a grievance on mine. Cha Ching

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
I'm in the Edison building. Completely trashed. They were literally throwing dead fish out of the building, all furnishings destroyed, lost a number of packages, too.

There were drivers and supervisors helping in my center from Pittsburgh, PA; Harrisburg, PA; Chelmsford, MA; and Jamestown, NY, aside from the drivers that were brought in from surrounding buildings.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll

Same thing here. Hoping to get a nice 8 hours for nothing :D

Our center manager was standing around us all while about 20 drivers were filling them out, to which he announced "You're not gonna get paid for those, it's a waste of paper".

A.) Who is to compensate me for my wasted time that day?

B.) since when does UPS care about wasting paper? 6 page D.O.K. packets for 70 drivers each week to regurgitate pointless drivel?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

This one is fairly straightforward---if you are told not to report before start time you must use a personal/optional/sick day if you want to get paid for the day. If you are told to report and are then sent home you are paid for the day. KOC has a valid grievance for which he has his co-workers should be paid.

menotyou

bella amicizia
Same thing here. Hoping to get a nice 8 hours for nothing :D

Our center manager was standing around us all while about 20 drivers were filling them out, to which he announced "You're not gonna get paid for those, it's a waste of paper".

A.) Who is to compensate me for my wasted time that day?

B.) since when does UPS care about wasting paper? 6 page D.O.K. packets for 70 drivers each week to regurgitate pointless drivel?
Art 17, Art 53(my supplement), Art. 50(my supplement) and all others that apply.

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
This one is fairly straightforward---if you are told not to report before start time you must use a personal/optional/sick day if you want to get paid for the day. If you are told to report and are then sent home you are paid for the day. KOC has a valid grievance for which he has his co-workers should be paid.

Not that this applies to me, but a few drivers in my center had personal days they wanted to burn to avoid taking a no pay day, and our DM told them they couldn't. No discussion available

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Lost power for 48 hours, my hometown of Belmar NJ lost its boardwalk and most businesses along the beach.
worked 9 hour days as a preloader in Edison to get the 100,000 packages not delivered while we were closed. Took us a week to get the operations back to normal