UPS teaches holiday recruits to fend off dogs, dodge taxis

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS teaches holiday recruits to fend off dogs, dodge taxis - Bloomberg

As United Parcel Service Inc. (UPS) hires a holiday workforce bigger than Macy’s Inc., recruits get a quick course in lifting heavy loads, doubling up on socks, and, in a jam, fending off snarling dogs with handheld computers.

The world’s biggest package delivery company is rushing to hire as many as 95,000 people by next week to cope with projected record deliveries. UPS is determined to perform better than last year, when harsh weather and a surge in last-minute online shopping orders caused more than a few packages to be delivered after Christmas.

Some of these employees, being recruited online via iPhones or college visits from Boston to Seattle, will wind up sorting packages in temporary portable buildings. Some will deliver boxes in Los Angeles office towers and 207 of them will be sent out to drive signature brown Pullman trucks -- in attire of the same hue -- while dodging taxis and bicycle couriers in New York.

Packmule

I am so glad our fearless leaders even know how to feind off aggressive dogs! Must have learned that sitting behind a desk.
I just get told "don't deliver there."

10 point

Our local gave UPS management the additional month of October to train seasonals.

How many seasonal drivers were trained?

None.

We'll see how it works out this year.