UPS to Reinstate Years of Service and Retirement Gifts

rod

Retired 22 years
the retirement awards were never done away with. Your Employee relations manager if you still have one or your HR manager should be able to give you the guidelines. It generally works out to approximately 500 bucks we can spend on a 30 year employee. We have a lunch or dinner for our retirees and get them a gift certificate for 200.

even with the cutbacks there is nothing stopping your team from at least getting a cake for milestone achievements.

I will have to have the guys who are still working check this out. Apparently they just pockect this money here. Maybe its payback for the guys getting a free car wash off UPS at the filling station.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
the retirement awards were never done away with. Your Employee relations manager if you still have one or your HR manager should be able to give you the guidelines. It generally works out to approximately 500 bucks we can spend on a 30 year employee. We have a lunch or dinner for our retirees and get them a gift certificate for 200.

even with the cutbacks there is nothing stopping your team from at least getting a cake for milestone achievements.

If they were never done away with why did everyone stop getting them? $500 must be a local program. Unless I'm missing something, there is no corporate policy or program that allows for this or even a cake. Maybe something has changed. The last retirement celebration I heard about was paid for by fellow employees.

The Milkman

They dont even thank us for a days work, why would you believe they would give you a gift of any kind?

That's why morale is and has been down the tubes for many years. No recognition for a job well done, that small token goes a long way but the higher ups unfortunatly are in a bubble surrounded by all the talking heads that call the shots and pull the strings unaware of who put UPS on the Global map.My last day also went quietly after all the efforts in front and behind the scenes that no one but myself and my customers saw to make Big Brown what it is today. Sad but true, it will only get worse in the Future. And for those who think they can make a difference......It will go sadly unnoticed:dissapointed:

Peace.

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
Sigh:............
Did you ask your Erm or hr manager for the corporate guidelines for retirement spending?

No. The erms went away with the last round of consolidations. Just point me to the corporate policy or guideline if it exists. What is done in your local area does not necessarily constitute the norm for the entire company.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
We always have a spread of juice and bakery the morning on the last day of a guys career unless the driver prefers not to. Usually a cake for the driver and some flowers for the wife. Driver used to get the day off payed but that has stopped.

The center here gave a retirement party before the driver start time for me and 3 other drivers that retired within a month of each other. One of us was still working for the next two weeks. The did give us all a brown winter jacket, complete with UPS log. The jacket surprisingly looked just like the new style that they issue to drivers. There was a cake and OJ for everyone, The whole shindig lasted about 20 minutes. At least it was something to acknowledge our time spent at big brown. This was just over a year ago.

A month or so ago, there was a clerk that was retiring(they illuminated her job) after 31 years with the company. They had BBQ catered in and the party lasted about two hours total. The party was over for more than an hour before the first driver returned to the building from the days rtes. Don't know if she got a brown jacket though.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

The center here gave a retirement party before the driver start time for me and 3 other drivers that retired within a month of each other. One of us was still working for the next two weeks. The did give us all a brown winter jacket, complete with UPS log. The jacket surprisingly looked just like the new style that they issue to drivers. There was a cake and OJ for everyone, The whole shindig lasted about 20 minutes. At least it was something to acknowledge our time spent at big brown. This was just over a year ago.

A month or so ago, there was a clerk that was retiring(they illuminated her job) after 31 years with the company. They had BBQ catered in and the party lasted about two hours total. The party was over for more than an hour before the first driver returned to the building from the days rtes. Don't know if she got a brown jacket though.

?

UPS Lifer

I have seen a lot of different celebrations for various milestones received by UPSers. It really depends on the type of boss you have. When I retired my boss had to postpone my send off three times because he wanted the district manager there. What an honor! It was all anyone could ask for. A little appreciation is all any of us want. Every one of these celebrations I attended were special because the people who put them on REALLY CARED. That is all that matters!

Don't let it die.....

FracusBrown

Ponies and Planes
I did say erm or HR manager? why are you being difficult? Ask your hr manager for the corporate spending guidelines for retirements. Its out there. I've seen several updates. They're getting ready to do another update so the site where we were going through to order the gift certificates is presently down as they transition to a different set up. We had to amex the gift certificate for the last retiree.

instead of disputing what you don't know I think you owe it to your people to find the information and use it to celebrate their careers. Some of the posts here on how we retire people is downright embarrassing.

I'm not disputing what I don't know. I'm disputing what you stated. I know the district guidelines for spending. The problem is that its optional. Some people get a nice send-off and others get nothing. (And there is no corporate guideline or policy).

Braveheart

What the heck is a retirement gift award? As far as I know (at least at my old center) there has never been even a "thank you for your years of service" announcement at the a. m.
Yeah we had a guy retire a few years ago and was promised an 8 hour day. Turned out to be over 9 1/2 hours. Thanks UPS. I also know another guy who driver released every stop on his last day. You are welcome UPS.

The Milkman

You missed my attempt at humor.

Didn't miss it.I don't think losing friend/T clerk Jobs to P/Ter's for current friend/T Drivers ( At least in my Local I worked out of) who would like to work inside if givin the chance, leaves them no choice to give their bodies somewhat of a less physical Job in their final years. Once gone they are never coming back to the delight of Management:surprised:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Didn't miss it.I don't think losing friend/T clerk Jobs to P/Ter's for current friend/T Drivers ( At least in my Local I worked out of) who would like to work inside if givin the chance, leaves them no choice to give their bodies somewhat of a less physical Job in their final years. Once gone they are never coming back to the delight of Management:surprised:

You missed it. I highlighted a word within the quote which was what I was referring to.

The Milkman

You missed it. I highlighted a word within the quote which was what I was referring to.

Forgive me...My head was under the cow milking away.I did see the word you were refering to, still wanted to post my views on Management wanting to
Illuminate Clerk Jobs which every teamster someday down the road may need but will not be there:peaceful:

bumped

The only service award I really care about is the extra week of vacation every 5 years. But, the wallet was nice also:wink2: