ups tour

frank3488

Quick question I have a tour tomorrow at 9:45 p.m. Just wondering how long this tour took for you guys? and how soon did you start working if so

rod

Retired 22 years
"3 hour tour" --- just like Gilligan's Island. :wink2:Actually I don't know as I never had one. Can someone help Frank

brownrodster

Depends on the facility and how many people show up to the tour.

My tour started with about 4 of us. First thing we did was walk around preload. They showed us the unload. Showed us how they loaded package cars. After that the HR person said if you are not interested then you can leave now. After that they did interviews. Interviews went in order of when you showed up and signed the sheet.

So if you are in a huge hub and a lot of people show up to the tour then it could be a while if you have to wait for like 15 people to get interviewed before you.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I believe Brownrodster is correct. We started with about 15 people and went through the whole facility. The number of questions and size of the facility are the things that will take the time.

bemyers

It was about an hour. I think we showed at at 6:30 thursday. They talked about benefits a little. They said all sorts of stuff to scare us into not getting hired. They took us around the building. We then could sign up for interviews the next day. So on friday I had my interview, and I got called on tuesday or so and they asked if I could start on monday, I said sure.

Also when they talk about the job they'll say stuff like the crappy shifts have more positions available than the good ones. That isn't true, they just want to get people to sign up for the crappy shifts. Decide what shift will work best for you, and sign up for that one, you'll get the job anyway (depending on the size of the hub or center), if they're doing a tour though it's probably a hub, so they'll likely have 4 shifts. I hear noon day (10AM-4PM or so) is pretty easy. Preload (3AM-8AM ish) is supposedly easy, but I wouldn't want to get up that early. Twilight (5-10PM) is a pain in the butt, but the hours are good. Midnight (10PM-3AM) is too late for me, and they probably process as many packages as twilight.

If your going to a center you'll likely have two choices, preload, and local (5PM-10PM), but it is harder to get a job at centers, because the guys there don't quit.

browniehound

I didn't have a tour, I was shown a video. When that was done we were told :"everyone you see around here started out doing this" (and from the size of these people, I'm guessing they only did it for 30-days before becoming a PT sup.). After that, we had interviews.

This happened almost 10 years ago. I started loading trailers on the twi-sort making 8.50 and hour and about 150 per week. I did it because I needed (Was desparate actually) a job and health insurance.

Within a year I was a full-time driver and now making almost $30 per hour (thank you UPS, thank you!). It was one of the best decisions I ever made. At least with your new PT job, there is potential for a career.

People can say what they want about the company and I have my qualms about its philososphy at times, but I wouldn't be able to enjoy the livestyle I have today if I didtn't accept that twi-sort job almost a decade ago!

cino321

The preload is most likely the most difficult shift at UPS, especially pre-PAS days, especially if you had a assignment to load. That's how I started out, now I'm a full time driver.

helenofcalifornia

And in some centers you have to wait 5-10 years to go driving. So I might ask during the interview how long it would take a rookie part timer to go driving if you are interested in that end of UPS.

feeder53

ADKtrails
When I first applied to UPS, I applied for three jobs that were posted, inside, helper and feeder driver. They put me on as a feeder within a week and told me I may have to go inside when things slow down, but they never came through with that offer. I do not know if I could afford to work at the rate of the people inside....I will be happy as a P/T feeder.....I have asked to take the road test for the big doubles as I have quite a few years driving them.