UPS truck and FED-X truck crash

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Actually several things, none of which are good on a driver that needs to pay attention out on road.

First his home life sucked. You know, too many hours away from family, a wife that does not understand what being a UPS man really means both mentally and physically. And that goes for our female drivers as well.

Then couple that with some recreations that maybe got a bit out of hand at times, or adult beverages that were not consumed enough hours before start time.

The accident site tells it all. No skid marks before impact, he was trying to swerve when he hit her, and that action, coupled with the large difference in speed was what pulled her truck down. Only tire marks were the ones that quit rolling when her back bumper was between his tires and frame.

As for the testing etc, I can not comment on that, as it is still an active investigation. Suffice it to say, if you use a straw to snort, leave it at home, do not stick it into your carry on bag. And if you do other medications that are narcotic, leave them at home too. You dont want them on a UPS vehicle.

Like I said, when all the facts came out, he decided that he could either quit, or be fired without much chance in hell of getting his job back.

Sorry end to an otherwise great career.

d

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Oh My, Nice to hear from you again, Dannyboy!!! You have been missed!!!! Hope all is well, and hope you will stop in from time to time!!

rushfan

Well at least there is a new picture to be circulated. I'm damn tired of seeing the other fedex vs. ups crash photo.

Lobofan5

Another reminder of what our brown-sweat-boxes can do to other people,vehicles etc.

Every day that I park my truck safely back in the UPS lot is a good day.

I don't want to have to live with the thought that carelessness on my part hurt someone else.

Sounds like this guy jumped the fence from careless to just plain STUPID.

Fishbulb

thats the one thing i cant stand, drinking & driving. its bad enough in your off time but i cant even begin to fathom how someone could do this job while drunk. Not just because of risking your own life & the lives of others but for petes sake! how can you get drunk & run around like a maniac in this heat?!?! We had a guy in our center, always thought he was a good guy, hard worker & pleasant attitude. One of his customers called in a complaint one day that he smelled of alcohol, they tested him & sure enough he had been drinking. He went to rehab for it & they tested him regularly afterwards & he came up positive again for alcohol. So they fired him. Turns out the nurse/doctor/rehab person/ whatever didnt have her certification up to date so the test results were deemed null & void & the guy got his job back. I'm sorry but that to me is unacceptable. If you're drunk on the job you should be terminated immediately with no other course of action. You're behind the wheel of a vehicle for 8-12 hours a day with god only knows how many pounds of packages inside it. If i were his union rep i wouldnt fight to get that guy his job back, even if it meant losing mine. Some things are just unforgivable in my opinion.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Turns out the nurse/doctor/rehab person/ whatever didnt have her certification up to date so the test results were deemed null & void & the guy got his job back. I'm sorry but that to me is unacceptable. If you're drunk on the job you should be terminated immediately with no other course of action. Some things are just unforgivable in my opinion.

This drives me up a WALL, too, Fish. Maybe some posters in Colorado will remember a "minor" scandal we had in the last couple of years with a crime lab. Several dangerous felons had their convictions thrown out on a variety of technicalities. I had a neighbor involved in a wreck with a drunk a number of years ago. Both walked away from the accident but the neighbor swore off alcohol the day of the wreck. Regardless, I'd have to agree driving under the influence is unacceptable and inexcusable--no matter the circumstances. Sadly, our society can come up with excuses for just about anything :crying:. -Rocky

browniehound

Fish, I can't fathom this either. I've been nervous myself when I drank a six pack during the 8:15 Sunday night football game for an 830 am start the next day. While I know my body burned the alcohol off by my start-time and would pass a breath test I still felt a little "off".

Also I can't imagine risking my job over this. This summer I had a large PU account move onto my route. Every Friday they would be drinking a few beers when I would pick up in the afternoon. They would always offer me a beer. I would never even consider this, even though its 1 beer and it wouldn't affect me.

Yet they said "John" used to have a beer with us on Friday's back when we were on "Maple" street. Well, I know "John" because "Maple" street is in the same city I deliver in.

I can't imagine why "John" would risk his entire career by having a beer with these people? Its one of the few things UPS can fire you for and make it stick! "John" has some stones to do this because he could easily get caught by on area observations by our sup., or by a simple rat. People talk and the dock workers could just tell the wrong person.

I would never rat "John" out because he would only have 1 beer and was not a danger to anybody on the road. I understand the ice-cold beer on a 95 degree day looks irresistable, but how can you risk it all for something you can enjoy a couple of hours later when you punch out??

And how do you tell you wife: "um honey we have to sell the house and move in with my parents because I got fired for drinking a beer today" ???