UPS Worker Wins Federal Settlement against Teamster Union for Ignoring Her Rights

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
UPS Worker Wins Federal Settlement against Teamster Union for Ignoring Her Rights Under Michigan's Right to Work Law - NRTW

Teamster union officials stonewalled worker's attempts to refrain from dues payments

With free legal assistance from National Right to Work Foundation staff attorneys, a Traverse City UPS worker has won a federal settlement against a local Teamster union for violating her rights.

Lisa Plamondon, a 30-year UPS employee, won the settlement from the Teamster Local 406 union after she filed charges against the union and her employer with the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB).

Because Michigan did not have a Right to Work law making union dues payments completely voluntary, Plamondon was a member of the union from 1983 until 1997. In 1997, Plamondon resigned her union membership, but still had to pay union dues and fees to keep her job.

rod

Retired 22 years
UPS Worker Wins Federal Settlement against Teamster Union for Ignoring Her Rights Under Michigan's Right to Work Law - NRTW
Teamster union officials stonewalled worker's attempts to refrain from dues payments

With free legal assistance from National Right to Work Foundation staff attorneys, a Traverse City UPS worker has won a federal settlement against a local Teamster union for violating her rights.

Lisa Plamondon, a 30-year UPS employee, won the settlement from the Teamster Local 406 union after she filed charges against the union and her employer with the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB).

Because Michigan did not have a Right to Work law making union dues payments completely voluntary, Plamondon was a member of the union from 1983 until 1997. In 1997, Plamondon resigned her union membership, but still had to pay union dues and fees to keep her job.

Wow---that's bad. It could open up a big can of worms. And she got a free lawyer to boot.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
She was a teamsters until '97.

Hmmmm, I wonder what happened in '97 to cause her to resign her membership?

16tons

Michigan became RTW after the last elections, republicans did it before the new seats were filled.
So guessing she won.... A few hundred dollars?!? Looking like an @ss must be priceless...

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Michigan became RTW after the last elections, republicans did it before the new seats were filled.
So guessing she won.... A few hundred dollars?!? Looking like an @ss must be priceless...

A few hundred dollars? If she resigned from the union in 1997, we are talking 17 years of dues and fees taken out without her consent. According to the article, she will receive a refund of all union fees illegally taken out plus interest, which I am guessing will be around $20K.

16tons

A few hundred dollars? If she resigned from the union in 1997, we are talking 17 years of dues and fees taken out without her consent. According to the article, she will receive a refund of all union fees illegally taken out plus interest, which I am guessing will be around $20K.

Why would union pay for dues previous to RTW? If she didn't like the fact it was a union job, she could have worked for mcdonalds.... No one forced her to work a union job.

Johney

And she got a free lawyer to boot.
Lawyers don't do things for free. I know it said "Free legal assistance" but come on.
Which said lawyer will get a nice chunk.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why would union pay for dues previous to RTW? If she didn't like the fact it was a union job, she could have worked for mcdonalds.... No one forced her to work a union job.

I did not apply here to satisfy a lifelong desire to become a Teamster; to be honest, I had no idea UPS hourlies had union representation. I applied here because I knew that it was a solid company which would fairly compensate me for my efforts. I also knew that it was a job which would allow me to help support my family (ex is an RN) and ensure our children would be able to go to college.

I did not apply here to satisfy a lifelong desire to become a Teamster; to be honest, I had no idea UPS hourlies had union representation. I applied here because I knew that it was a solid company which would fairly compensate me for my efforts. I also knew that it was a job which would allow me to help support my family (ex is an RN) and ensure our children would be able to go to college.

And yet you never turned down one union bargained benefit I bet?

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

Nobody cares!

Sent using BrownCafe App