UPS workers outraged over small noose hanging inside driver's truck

dillweed

I agree this has been an interesting thread with lots of good comment and food for serious thought.

Was I offended at someone trying to personalize their work day a bit or was there some underlying disgust over the significance of a noose.

It was the significance.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I second what Dillweed said. Interesting thread and thoughts.

Here is mine.

When I first read this a few minutes ago my first reaction to the noose (in and of itself) was old west justice. I was not raised in a place where the noose had the significance that it does in many of the southern/eastern states. I do agree that the noose has a negative connotation about it. It is a threat. After reading many of the POV's about the noose I can certainly understand why most people would be offended. I personally cannot say how I would react to it. I have never been in the situation.

As far as company policy, I absolutely agree that it should never have been in a pkg car. For any reason. Even if it was a family business. Work is work and as such we have to be aware of our customers and how they might respond to us (and this applies to those that we work with). We are in the public eye, maybe even more so than many other companies. We are known across the world for our professionalism. This is of the utmost importance. As an employee of UPS and also because of my own personal integrity, I would never say or do anything that might damage my professional relationship with my customers. The fact that this driver felt it was ok to hang a noose in his truck shows a lack of maturity or a lack of consideration for his job and those he works with.

And the union protected his job. The union did what they are supposed to. The company tried to have him suspended. The company did what they thought was necessary. Doesn't matter if it was right or not. We all know how the compaany works. It is what it is. MPO

Big Babooba

Here is mine.

When I first read this a few minutes ago my first reaction to the noose (in and of itself) was old west justice. I was not raised in a place where the noose had the significance that it does in many of the southern/eastern states. I do agree that the noose has a negative connotation about it. It is a threat. After reading many of the POV's about the noose I can certainly understand why most people would be offended. I personally cannot say how I would react to it. I have never been in the situation.

As far as company policy, I absolutely agree that it should never have been in a pkg car. For any reason. Even if it was a family business. Work is work and as such we have to be aware of our customers and how they might respond to us (and this applies to those that we work with). We are in the public eye, maybe even more so than many other companies. We are known across the world for our professionalism. This is of the utmost importance. As an employee of UPS and also because of my own personal integrity, I would never say or do anything that might damage my professional relationship with my customers. The fact that this driver felt it was ok to hang a noose in his truck shows a lack of maturity or a lack of consideration for his job and those he works with.

And the union protected his job. The union did what they are supposed to. The company tried to have him suspended. The company did what they thought was necessary. Doesn't matter if it was right or not. We all know how the compaany works. It is what it is. MPO
I couldn't have said it better.

D

Dis-organized Labor

Here is mine.

Dilli:
Well articulated.. I always say this: "That would you do if this was YOUR Company:. You got it!!

illiana

Here is mine.

I am so glad you understood the points in which I had brought up. Because you understood others are seeing the light bulb go off as we'll.
Thank you.