Verizon Seeks to Stop Automatic Phone Book Distribution in New York

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Already happened in Georgia.
I'm ok with it - we have not used it in years.

The only problem here is we actually get two different phone books so stopping one will only solve 1/2 the problem.

I agree with you and put mine in the recycling bin the day I get it. If I need to look up a number I go to their website.

moreluck

golden ticket member
About the only time I even look at a phone book is when I'll scan Yellow Pages to recall a restaurant's name or just looking for a new place to try.....otherwise, it sits in a drawer.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I'm another phone book recycler, I haven't used one in years. Virginia needs to get on this program as well.

Or, maybe Verizon is for its discontinuation so that folks in a number pinch will use their cells 411 which happens to carry a $1-2 charge I believe.

klein

Für Meno :)
The city of Edmonton did the same thing this year. Only yellowpages will be printed and delivered. White pages will only be printed every second year, and only available thru self pick-up.

The elderly complained about it (since they don't have a computer).

But, I also agree with the decision. A lot of people aren't listed in the phonebook, anyways, like myself.

ups1990

They'll probably be doing Arizonan's a great service. Man, have you seen the size and weight of one of these. You need a storage for a phone book. Nobody has room in their house for this mammoth thing.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
Verizon is seeking permission from the State of New York to stop the automatic distribution of it's phone books, citing the increased exclusive use of cell phones by it's (former) subscribers and the benefits to the environment of doing so.

http://www.vosizneias.com/55098/2010/05/08/new-york-verizon-seeks-end-to-phone-book-delivery

Here's a wacky idea: send every phone customer a prepaid postcard that REQUESTS a phone book be delivered. That way, the folks that are not Internet-savvy&connected can get the dead tree version, and the rest of us can use google or 411 on our cell phones. Ditto for Yellow Pages. My brother-in-law worked for Yellow Pages.com, and they wanted him to spend most of his time selling the Internet version, not the dead trees version.