Walk-on Driver

alright guys, I know you are probably tired of hearing this one. I’m going to ask anyway as I haven’t found anywhere or anyone who was willing to help. I’ve ran into a few UPS guys while working but I didn’t want to bother them. I currently work for the postal service in a suburb of Houston. I have been desperately trying to get hired with any UPS within driving distance as a driver. I know it’s a long shot, but I am willing to take the pay cut for a job that I can retire from. There are only two areas near me hiring off the street drivers. But they are unsavory as I have a wife and i don’t want her to be unsafe or unhappy. However, if I find a job out of state that is willing to hire me, will they work with me when I am trying to move my things to said new state? There are a ton of openings in Pennsylvania and a couple in Colorado. These are areas we are interested in. But it would take a couple of days to move move our things (I would find us a place while i’m Working on making my thirty days, assuming I got hired). It’s a daunting task but I would love to be a UPSer. I already know I enjoy the type of work. The company would take me to retirement (which is my main concern). The pay and benefits would be awesome. I’m just having a hard time finding any openings in my area, and unfortunately I can’t afford the part time work. Also, could I possibly go around to a couple of the UPS warehouses in my area and ask if they know of any openings or when there might be an opening, etc? If I can’t get on with you guys, i’m Gonna have to go back to school. I know that’s probably the best route to go for my body’s sake, but to be honest I am not fond of office jobs, plus school is expensive as hell. I’d much rather work for UPS. thanks for any responses and or advice.

El Correcto

god is dead
What do you mean? As in, it’s pretty much not possible? I figured as such, but I have always wanted to work for you guys. So I guess I keep holding on to false hope lol.
UPS has hired a lot of people that might be facing lay offs depending on the way this virus goes.
My hub already has drivers not working.

MattM

short answer. No they won't work with you

One would still have to take many tests and qualify as a driver before you're 'good to go'. So moving to a job that isn't set in stone is not ideal. For every 10 drivers hired, it feels like only 2-4 qualify and continue with the company.

Also, with the virus, it's a pretty bad time to be considering any of this. Inevitably we're headed for a full shutdown.

Depending on the area, many new drivers grind it out with minimum hours ( or are forced into 22.4 combo work). So you might even really be driving much.

One would still have to take many tests and qualify as a driver before you're 'good to go'. So moving to a job that isn't set in stone is not ideal. For every 10 drivers hired, it feels like only 2-4 qualify and continue with the company.

Also, with the virus, it's a pretty bad time to be considering any of this. Inevitably we're headed for a full shutdown.

Depending on the area, many new drivers grind it out with minimum hours ( or are forced into 22.4 combo work). So you might even really be driving much.
Alright man thank you. I’ll keep my nose to the computer and maybe something will open up near me. I know it’s a long shot, but imo the postal service won’t last me until I can retire (i’ve Got a good fortybyears of working left, at least). I figured UPS may be a viable option but maybe not. Good luck to you buddy. And thanks for responding

My phone goes off at the same time everyday asking me if I want to stay home. Been like that for 3 weeks
Damn man rhat’s Crazy. I always thought UPS was solid in regards to job security. My job hasn’t started lay offs yet but with the low volume of mail, it’s only a matter of time.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
alright guys, I know you are probably tired of hearing this one. I’m going to ask anyway as I haven’t found anywhere or anyone who was willing to help. I’ve ran into a few UPS guys while working but I didn’t want to bother them. I currently work for the postal service in a suburb of Houston. I have been desperately trying to get hired with any UPS within driving distance as a driver. I know it’s a long shot, but I am willing to take the pay cut for a job that I can retire from. There are only two areas near me hiring off the street drivers. But they are unsavory as I have a wife and i don’t want her to be unsafe or unhappy. However, if I find a job out of state that is willing to hire me, will they work with me when I am trying to move my things to said new state? There are a ton of openings in Pennsylvania and a couple in Colorado. These are areas we are interested in. But it would take a couple of days to move move our things (I would find us a place while i’m Working on making my thirty days, assuming I got hired). It’s a daunting task but I would love to be a UPSer. I already know I enjoy the type of work. The company would take me to retirement (which is my main concern). The pay and benefits would be awesome. I’m just having a hard time finding any openings in my area, and unfortunately I can’t afford the part time work. Also, could I possibly go around to a couple of the UPS warehouses in my area and ask if they know of any openings or when there might be an opening, etc? If I can’t get on with you guys, i’m Gonna have to go back to school. I know that’s probably the best route to go for my body’s sake, but to be honest I am not fond of office jobs, plus school is expensive as hell. I’d much rather work for UPS. thanks for any responses and or advice.
Don't forget you have to make book as a driver first. Some fail.

Dumbo

Agree but we aren't heading for a shut down. We are a vital part of keeping the economy going. Professions like truck drivers, delivery drivers, gas station employees, grocery store employees, law enforcement, fire, EMS, pharmacy, utility workers, etc are now considered vital jobs.

Also, there's this:
Amazon to hire 100,000 more workers and give raises to current staff to deal with coronavirus demands

I think most industrial business will continue as normal, retail volume will take a huge hit, and residential volume will explode. All in the short term at least.

It will be a change in the economy for sure, but if anything, delivery drivers are here to stay .

sandwich

The resident gearhead
I’m trying to just get in the door. I think I could be an asset but as others have stated, the company osn’t Doing well right now. Plus I canMt find anything open near me. Maybe one day.

it depends on where you are. My building is hiring full time drivers off the street right now. We are short 30 drivers just in my center.

In my area amazon cut a bunch of their contractors and shifted all that volume to us. Plus everybody ordering for doomsday.

I’ve been hitting my 60 hours by Friday afternoon. And filing my 9.5