WAP

sadmanhere

the talk is they are going to use the wap to gauge how many trucks you should be running..say you run 10 trucks and youre getting paid x amount if they feel you should be running 8 trucks ..they will pay you for x trucks..

if you have guys finish early ....like 1 pm 2 pm they are going to look at that as you ae not optimizing your employees ..they are looking for anything to get us to deliver smartpost for free and work sundays for free....

i have guys finishing at 1 pm but they run full speed to ever stop like a track star..

they do 130 to 160 stops ..what am i supposed to do tell them to take out 190 a day ? and pay them the same ?

silly me for thinking working sun/mon would at some extra income to my bank
im going to be running 7 days and getting paid less than i was with doing 5 days....

guess fedex wants us to pay for there tnt mistake

It will be fine

the talk is they are going to use the wap to gauge how many trucks you should be running..say you run 10 trucks and youre getting paid x amount if they feel you should be running 8 trucks ..they will pay you for x trucks..

if you have guys finish early ....like 1 pm 2 pm they are going to look at that as you ae not optimizing your employees ..they are looking for anything to get us to deliver smartpost for free and work sundays for free....

i have guys finishing at 1 pm but they run full speed to ever stop like a track star..

they do 130 to 160 stops ..what am i supposed to do tell them to take out 190 a day ? and pay them the same ?

silly me for thinking working sun/mon would at some extra income to my bank
im going to be running 7 days and getting paid less than i was with doing 5 days....

guess fedex wants us to pay for there tnt mistake
The contracts are already based on what they think you should be running. DRO will at least let us see what they are basing it on.

If you have employees that come in at 8 and are back by 2 they are being underutilized. Pay them a bit more are have them work until 4 and take a truck off the road. That’s an easy one.

Are you taking density smartpost now? The stops are super easy, mostly smalls. If your drivers are organized it’s just a bit of walking time carrying an envelope. I was as big of a sceptic as it gets, but I turned it up all the way and with the same staff and man hours increased stops by ~10%

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Are you taking density smartpost now? The stops are super easy, mostly smalls. If your drivers are organized it’s just a bit of walking time carrying an envelope. I was as big of a sceptic as it gets, but I turned it up all the way and with the same staff and man hours increased stops by ~10%

Yeah, but you-know-who hasn't told you why it's bad for you yet.

bacha29

The initial contract even though one-sided is enough for you to be able to work with. As it was mentioned FedEx will adjust, go back on, and even later add addendum after addendum changing the scope of the agreement to suit their needs. When you have questions or disagree with certain sections of the contract the answer is always the same "it's non negotiable sign it as it is or there is no offer".

Anything they do will affect you financially in the end from late dispatch to employing inexperienced operations managers making decisions in areas they don't understand.
They find ways of tying you into the contract or making you pay for things like scanner use and route planning software.
You both are right, stop arguing! lol
Exactly. It comes back to the same old reality....nothing's binding. Roadway on the other hand had a stiff contract but they were much more flexible and reasonable and that had a lot to do with the fact that it stayed in the narrow and limited market it sought to serve and designed the plan accordingly. Fat Freddy on the other hand is trying to take that very business model with a limited market focus and is trying to make it serve multiple markets 7 days a week.

Here's where it could get even more difficult . I believe that quite a bunch of contractor employed drivers will want that year round 6th day (70 hr) just to have a better chance to survive economically Some under the treat of quitting if it's not granted to them could leave the contractor hard pressed to find that guy willing to run on Sunday's only .
As was mentioned earlier you give a guy a full day's work load pay him a per diem or a per stop rate when he goes out and gets it done quickly his time is his own. Given that a midday second sort is in the offing rest assured that guy who is getting his fair day's work done at 1 or 2 o'clock will be expected to get back reload and make two trips per day and wind up working a 12 hour day everyday.

Why could this happen? Any productivity gains a contractor or a contractor employed driver can make is in the eyes of FXG unused capacity and they will make every attempt to capitalize on it not for the contractor or his driver's benefit but rather strictly for their own.

XEQaF

Exactly. It comes back to the same old reality....nothing's binding. Roadway on the other hand had a stiff contract but they were much more flexible and reasonable and that had a lot to do with the fact that it stayed in the narrow and limited market it sought to serve and designed the plan accordingly. Fat Freddy on the other hand is trying to take that very business model with a limited market focus and is trying to make it serve multiple markets 7 days a week.

Here's where it could get even more difficult . I believe that quite a bunch of contractor employed drivers will want that year round 6th day (70 hr) just to have a better chance to survive economically Some under the treat of quitting if it's not granted to them could leave the contractor hard pressed to find that guy willing to run on Sunday's only .
As was mentioned earlier you give a guy a full day's work load pay him a per diem or a per stop rate when he goes out and gets it done quickly his time is his own. Given that a midday second sort is in the offing rest assured that guy who is getting his fair day's work done at 1 or 2 o'clock will be expected to get back reload and make two trips per day and wind up working a 12 hour day everyday.

Why could this happen? Any productivity gains a contractor or a contractor employed driver can make is in the eyes of FXG unused capacity and they will make every attempt to capitalize on it not for the contractor or his driver's benefit but rather strictly for their own.

What was Roadway's market at the time?
The challenge for contractors in building a bullet proof team is giving the driver the training so they can be the best at what they do but also appreciate their work in being flexible and providing the quality of life they can enjoy. You may not be able to pay them top dollar, or give them benefits, pensions etc. some may want to work 12 hr days some on the other hand want to work their route quickly and efficiently so they get off early and enjoy the rest of their day, but appreciating that effort will in my opinion guarantee they will show up for you all the time and do extra for you when called upon.

The moment you start pushing them for more and more they will feel unappreciated and demotivated. I always gave enough to satisfy my drivers. I operated at 70-75% capacity knowing I wasn't over extending my people or equipment. I knew when the time called to up that capacity they were able and willing to give 110%. If you do that for a long period of time you will exhaust a good thing.

With Ground trying to dictate your load, driver capacity etc and also taking on business the system isn't designed for ie. O/D freight, people start getting frustrated and the exodus begins. There's not much you as a contractor can do to combat that, you'll be left with a bad name, and guess who could care less? friend to the E to the DEX yo!!

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

When your only concept of a business is a lemonade stand, a supermarket seems impossible.