Warning Letters Late Air

swing_drv

Our Center is giving warning letters for Air in the Load that becomes late. Should'nt this go to the preloader? Why does everything have to fall on the Driver?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
How can the driver be held accountable for a NDA thrown on a shelf of a blown out P1000? EDD tells us we are supposed to have a certain number of NDAs, but it doesn't tell us if they are all on the truck. I count my NDA and match the count up with what EDD says. I don't see how a Warning Letter on this would stick. We are told to go through the load and look for them before commit time, but thats not always possible.

swing_drv

We are not on pass yet. But are told to go through our load also. If we would'nt get out the building so late maybe we could go through our load. But most time I'm delivering my last air at about 10:25.

Overpaid Union Thug

Our preload doesn't load NDAs in the trucks at all. The drivers come in and load them themselves. We have NDAs in the load but probably not as much as centers where the Air is loaded by the preloaders.

DS

Fenderbender
big arrow up ...my indian friend...since you guys load your own air and basically know exactly what you can or cant do....if you have late air,it IS your fault...right?

Cole

I didn't see that the person stated they loaded their own air. In that case I strongly suggest you don't overly rush yourself and put the air where you know where it is. Also if you know you can't get it, be very firm to management and tell them you need help with it, and make sure you have a witness that you told them you would have late air. If you run ground and have late air as a result they can get you for that too., so be careful and know your limitations;)

Overpaid Union Thug

big arrow up ...my indian friend...since you guys load your own air and basically know exactly what you can or cant do....if you have late air,it IS your fault...right?

We load our own air but sometimes the preloader slips one through. Usually the ones with no red labels. I call the center the second I find one and tell them exactly where I found it and where it was addressed to. It doesn't happen very often. But it happens. I like to load the air on the bottom shelf behind the passenger seat. If I need more space I just shove all the ground packages back until there is enough room. It usually works out well. Even during peak.

surviv'n_it

Our pre-loaders are not to load any air at all. Everything including savers are sitting out behind our truck so the driver is responsible for loading his/her own air.

I have had a few nda in load that didnt have the red label or the odd labels from certain shippers that are hard to read. I even had one nda that didnt say anything on the label about service level. There wasnt a 1, or the words nda. I didnt even realize it until the late air reason popped up. That was the only time I ever saw a label like that, but it had to have happened to someone else too.

I just know if we find air in the load, our pre-loader gets hell the next morning.

swing_drv

The air is not loaded by the preloader. It's waiting for us at the rear. But they mess up and load one every now and then. And managment is telling us we have to go through our loads and check for air. I hate that feeling when you find one after commit time. :blushing: But why should the driver have to get written up for what the preload is doing?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
PAS loads the air in shelf 1000 and 2000. I verify it before I leave. I still have late once in a while. Can't leave at 9:10 and deliver to a city 1/2 hour away.

W

westsideworma

PAS loads the air in shelf 1000 and 2000. I verify it before I leave. I still have late once in a while. Can't leave at 9:10 and deliver to a city 1/2 hour away.

well according to PAS you should be delivering more stops per hour....thats probably what they'd tell you. However I agree with you. Management have blind faith in a system they themselves have never used...very amusing. When something works its all "hey how about that system huh?":w00t: and when something goes wrong its "we don't understand why YOU did that" :mad:, its never the system's fault :lol:

Cole

Management can't openly say that the pas is not all it's cracked up to be. The same errors that were there when it was implemented are still there now. It is often more of problem than an advantage. For instance, the customer sends a package with a label that would get the package to the correct address, but the pas system often puts an incorrect street on it, based on let's say the label has a suite number before the street, then the system picks up those letters of suite and tries to match it, and it is wrong quite often.

Also it greatly confuses the preloaders as they no longer look at addreses or company names etc...but just the numbers on the label, and also your load is entirely different everyday.

It saves them alot of paper work is the bottom line. They said when it started it would correct itself in time, but I am yet to see it. If it is fixed it last maybe a couple of weeks, or at best a month then it's right back to the same errors.

Steelheader

The Fishing UPS Guy
We NEVER have loaded our own air. It's always loaded in our car on shelf 1 or in a smalls tub under shelf 2. Even with PAS it's still that way (unless like others have said they will load into shelf 2 and in our center up to shelf 3).

We haven't had any warning letters for late air in load. Like mentioned, if a preloader tosses an unmarked NDA in load (even happens with PAS) how can you control it? You can't. Plus, even with EDD packages slip through without their PAL sticker. Have seen a few of those (had an NDA saver without a PAL and NOT in my board even doing an EDD send before leaving building today).

browniehound

My opinion is all air should be left behind the package car for the driver to load himself. It should take him 1-5 minutes to look through his airs and then load them. Doing this will eliminate air misloads from the preloader. Right now the preloader is just looking at the pal and throwing the air in section 1000. Problem with that is he is putting air for the car next to me in my car:w00t: .

I remember when PAS first came to my center 3 years ago, management on the preload would be yelling at us to get in the truck and leave. They did this for about 2 weeks in attempt to reduce our AM time. The problem was the preload was misloading NDAs and NDA savers and the drivers were not allowed to check their airs before we left. The pennies the company was saving in AM time went out the window in the pounds they were paying in late NDA and drivers taking 20 minutes to deliver a saver misloaded on his truck.

I think this is an area of the company that is inferior to the competition. The company has 1 group of managment pitted against another and it only results in service failures. The preload sup doesn't want me sorting my airs in the building. The on car sup doesn't want me sorting them on road. If the company wants me to deliver them, I'm going to have to sort them through. Why does it matter who's watch its done under:confused:1 :confused:1 :confused:1 . I thought we were 1 company? I'm sure Fed-ex and DHL do NOT operate like this. Perhaps this is a reason they are taking our volume? Maybe its not us driver's fault for not getting enough sales leads?

Griff

Our Center is giving warning letters for Air in the Load that becomes late. Should'nt this go to the preloader? Why does everything have to fall on the Driver?

Who cares, they'll never make that stick. That's like throwing warning letters around to everyone who brings back misloads instead of running them off.

Sales people can't do their job, make the drivers help. Preload can't read numbers correctly, make the driver help. Your EDD isn't set up right, tell the driver to come in early and help set it up. It's a never ending struggle, they try to squeeze every last cent out of your paycheck because they truly believe you're overpaid.

HazMatMan

Why does everything fall on the preloader? You have sups working all the time. Is it quite possible that a sup put that next day air on your shelf?? Also, not to cause a riot here but sometimes a driver will deliver a nda late and say it was buried in the load. As to the answer to your question, no I don't think if you find an air on your shelf at 10:35 a.m. and deliver it late you should get into trouble. In my building, drivers are told to search the entire truck after all airs are delivered to see if anything is on the shelf. If the truck is blown out I don't see how that is possible.

HazMatMan

The company has 1 group of managment pitted against another and it only results in service failures. The preload sup doesn't want me sorting my airs in the building. The on car sup doesn't want me sorting them on road.

BINGO!!!!

Yup!! same problem here. All you here in my building is "That's not mine" or "Not my area" It's all about me me me instead of us us us.. What happened to :) :) TEAMWORK:) :) ???????