Was anyone told.....

#1angelfan

I was told yesterday that if this contract gets voted down, ups and the teamsters will not be meeting again until june. this is what our local told us ups said.

sawdusttv

I was told yesterday that if this contract gets voted down, ups and the teamsters will not be meeting again until june. this is what our local told us ups said.

More scare tactics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can bet your butt, if it is turned down, both sides will be scrambling to get another offer on the table. Nether side can afford to wait until June. Can you not see that both sides will stop at nothing to get your yes vote on this contract becauser it is good for the company, good for the teamsters union, but bad for the rank and file. To many concessions not enough money!!!
Personally, I want a NO vote because I don't want to hear all the crying going on for the next five years from all you yes votes, about how crappy the contract is!!!

#1angelfan

More scare tactics!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can bet your butt, if it is turned down, both sides will be scrambling to get another offer on the table. Nether side can afford to wait until June. Can you not see that both sides will stop at nothing to get your yes vote on this contract becauser it is good for the company, good for the teamsters union, but bad for the rank and file. To many concessions not enough money!!!
Personally, I want a NO vote because I don't want to hear all the crying going on for the next five years from all you yes votes, about how crappy the contract is!!!
i did not vote yes, but this is what i was told, they know that most of the part-time people here voted no, and they are not feeling to good right now, the preload supe told me and i also heard it from two of the shop stewards, that ups will not talk to the union until june.

team player

That is bull, UPS wants out of the Central States and they have until 1/1/08 to do it. So if this is turned down they will be at the table 24/7 to get it done by then. Tell your Sup to keep his mouth shut about things he has no clue about. I see the National passing and the Central and OH rider going down in my area. I know alot of UPSers did not know you could vote for 1 and turn down the others in your affected area.

sawdusttv

i did not vote yes, but this is what i was told, they know that most of the part-time people here voted no, and they are not feeling to good right now, the preload supe told me and i also heard it from two of the shop stewards, that ups will not talk to the union until june.

Ya, I heard that too!

My guess is, More scare tactics!!!!!!!!!

The way the managemnt is pushing so hard for this, I believe that they were told that there Christmas bonuses hinge on wether or not the contract passes!!!!!!

BigBrownSanta

If UPS waits til June, shippers and investors will leave.

If this contract fails, shippers will have 6 months to find alternative ways to divert their packages.

Investors don't like uncertainty. If this TA gets voted down and UPS waits til June, the possibility of a strike becomes a higher risk factor. Investors will leave.

I don't think UPS is that arrogant...

B

BrownShark2

This is the problem with this contract. The Teamsters apparently have not only agreed to a handshake deal, they have guaranteed passage to the company.

All the joint councils met after the handshake and it was agreed, that each local would take the offer to the members with the underlying premise that if the contract was turned down, UPS would walk from the table, meet again in July only to tell the Teamsters that it was no longer going to honor the current offer.

This is not representation, its merely weak negotiating.

All the So. Cal. locals used the "UPS wont come back until July" speech in the meetings and yards.

If so, why not call this offer, BEST LAST & FINAL????

Peace.

E

esad

That is bull, UPS wants out of the Central States and they have until 1/1/08 to do it. So if this is turned down they will be at the table 24/7 to get it done by then. Tell your Sup to keep his mouth shut about things he has no clue about. I see the National passing and the Central and OH rider going down in my area. I know alot of UPSers did not know you could vote for 1 and turn down the others in your affected area.

It looks like you haven't been paying attention.

If UPS wants out of central states all they need to do is pay the withdrawal liability.

They don't need your approval or permission to do it.

My understanding is that they've already plunked down some-amount of money on the deal - even without your vote being counted. Imagine that!

June 2008 isn't to meet and negotiate - it's to inform Teamsters that the contract will expire without being extended or renegotiated.

Watch and learn.

#1angelfan

If UPS waits til June, shippers and investors will leave.

If this contract fails, shippers will have 6 months to find alternative ways to divert their packages.

Investors don't like uncertainty. If this TA gets voted down and UPS waits til June, the possibility of a strike becomes a higher risk factor. Investors will leave.

I don't think UPS is that arrogant...
this is why ups and the teamsters are pushing so hard to get it passed, we received so much mail telling us to vote yes, and the pcm's telling us to vote yes, they keep shoving it down our throat.

browned out

No way they wait til June. As stated earlier; they will be at the table the night the votes were counted to get another offer out ASAP.

Pollocknbrown

Jan 1 08 is not a steadfast HARD deadline like so many people think, that is just when the new laws will begin to be implaced and taking effect over the next year or so. What i dont get is why fining a company for not having enough $ in a pension fund/ bad investing, not putting that monies from the fines, instead goes to uncle sam's piggy bank.

tieguy

Banned
Ya, I heard that too!

My guess is, More scare tactics!!!!!!!!!

The way the managemnt is pushing so hard for this, I believe that they were told that there Christmas bonuses hinge on wether or not the contract passes!!!!!!

honestly keeping the 6.1 billion and disturbishing it as dividend check would be the be best bonus of all. Can we just write off the CS plan and move on?

J

JonFrum

It looks like you haven't been paying attention. If UPS wants out of central states all they need to do is pay the withdrawal liability. They don't need your approval or permission to do it.

The National Labor Relations Board says: Oh yes they do!

My understanding is that they've already plunked down some-amount of money on the deal - even without your vote being counted. Imagine that!

You're makin' this up, aren't ya? The payment wouldn't even be owed until sometime in 2008, even if the Tentative Agreement passes on the first try. Remember, all Supplements, and Riders must pass, not just the Master, or the Central States Supplement. If just one Supplement or Rider fails, the entire Agreement is in Limbo until that one Supplement or Rider is eventually passed.

June 2008 isn't to meet and negotiate - it's to inform Teamsters that the contract will expire without being extended or renegotiated. Watch and learn.

Very, very illegal under the NLRA. You are making this up.

FIST

Leanitus
they are only trying to scare us to vote yes, the question is, why is UPS and teamsters saying the same things.

pkg-king

honestly keeping the 6.1 billion and disturbishing it as dividend check would be the be best bonus of all. Can we just write off the CS plan and move on?

UPS's liability increases to over $10 bil if they're not out of CS plan by Jan 1, with possibilities of future payments to keep the fund solvent in the coming years...so I would say NO we can not just write off the plan and move on...we need to pay the 6 bil and get out of Dodge and never look back!

tieguy

Banned
Hand shake, a little kiss, and Hoffa, Hall, and UPS brass in a circle jerk than a train.

Don't know about the circle thing but I kinda like the idea of a union and company standing side by side against our non union competition. Or did you prefer your leaders fight over the remains of our company just to show everyone they were tough guys?

tieguy

Banned
UPS's liability increases to over $10 bil if they're not out of CS plan by Jan 1, with possibilities of future payments to keep the fund solvent in the coming years...so I would say NO we can not just write off the plan and move on...we need to pay the 6 bil and get out of Dodge and never look back!

I don't know about the 10 million dollar figure I have not heard that before. I would think thats a worse case scenario. But I do agree that we have been talking about the CS nightmare long enough and we do need to get it fixed and move on.