Was just browsing around the Web!

wakyzachy

I am the IRS for UPS!
I came across the fedex discussion site and created an account and read some of their posts. LOL.

Eaxmple 1

**actually, they top out at $27.50, and that's for the "ground guys". the "UPS express" drivers are on the same pay scale as the handlers, pre-loaders, clerks, etc (they start at $9.50/hr and eventually top out at around $21/hr)

Do we have a UPS Express. :confused:1

Example 2

**Hey everyone, I recently got hired on as a driver at Express. I found out that our pay tops out at around 20.50, is that the same at all stations? Im okay with that, but I did some research for United Parcel and saw that they top out at close to 30!

I am so happy that we have to "work up" to be drivers. Other wise everybody from fedex would be over here. Basically they complaine just like we do only they get paid a lot less. LOL. :w00t:

Oh just found a post here about the fedex site and it is free just like this one. It will boost your moral just by reading it!

Fredless

APWA Hater
They're talking about part time bid air drivers...in some hubs, where part timers actually give a crap enough about their own union, they don't allow the full timers to take all the air work or they haven't been converted to 22.3 work yet...and all the air drivers jobs ELIMINATED and sent back to preload/reload.

And 20.50 to deliver a truck full of small air packages and letters? Thats close to the part time air top out rate. Check out your contract book. The FedEx ground guys work their asses off just like we do.

Griff

The FedEx ground guys work their asses off just like we do.

I've yet to see any FedEx truck, ground or air, go out with a truck that is filled to the ceiling. That is unique to UPS trucks, at least in my neck of the woods.

wakyzachy

I am the IRS for UPS!
I've yet to see any FedEx truck, ground or air, go out with a truck that is filled to the ceiling. That is unique to UPS trucks, at least in my neck of the woods.

Hey metro philly, I hear that. Its nice to meet someone here from my neck of the woods. Which hub are you at Oragon Av., PHL, or Lawn? :cool:

LKLND3380

But what kind of message does that send to anyone (non UPS) that looks in the package car...

The thing was filled to the ceiling...

It gives the impression that UPS is not hurting for business and has a strong hold on the shipping buisiness...

over9five

Staff member
"It gives the impression that UPS is not hurting for business and has a strong hold on the shipping buisiness..."

That's my impression.

705red

Browncafe Steward
Fedex ground our owner operators and get paid per stop and piece from my understanding. $27.50 could be right but then deduct uniforms buying the routes, vehicle maintenance, gas et.., its really not that much.

pkgdriver

red is right about Fedex Ground/Home from what ive read on the fedex forums and talking to the ground guys. Paid by the stop/piece/and other criteria. Most of the ones that have done it a few years say 8-12 dollars an hour after all expenses and are looking for a sucker to buy their route.

Sammie

red is right about Fedex Ground/Home from what ive read on the fedex forums and talking to the ground guys. Paid by the stop/piece/and other criteria. Most of the ones that have done it a few years say 8-12 dollars an hour after all expenses and are looking for a sucker to buy their route.

Preconceived ideas....

My hubby and some fellow feeder drivers were having lunch not too long ago at a truck stop with some Fedex drivers. In the offices we hear a lot of competitor info that ruffles our feathers and I'm sure you in packages don't enjoy seeing the competitors parked at your pick ups.

But out on the long hauls things are different. There doesn't seem to be the animosities between companies that one would think. No matter who works for who, they help each other chain up if need be or whatever it takes to make it through a tough day.

At this Fedex/UPS lunch, the Fedex guys were pretty smug, bragging about how well treated and well paid they were and that they had no use for union nonsense; they were pulling down a whole 23 cents a mile. All was jolly until one of the UPS guys said, you sure about that? We're making 52.

:confused:1

raceanoncr

Preconceived ideas....

My hubby and some fellow feeder drivers were having lunch not too long ago at a truck stop with some Fedex drivers. In the offices we hear a lot of competitor info that ruffles our feathers and I'm sure you in packages don't enjoy seeing the competitors parked at your pick ups.

But out on the long hauls things are different. There doesn't seem to be the animosities between companies that one would think. No matter who works for who, they help each other chain up if need be or whatever it takes to make it through a tough day.

At this Fedex/UPS lunch, the Fedex guys were pretty smug, bragging about how well treated and well paid they were and that they had no use for union nonsense; they were pulling down a whole 23 cents a mile. All was jolly until one of the UPS guys said, you sure about that? We're making 52.

:confused:1

Sammie, I agree about the trucker comraderie. On the road, it's way different.

But your friends might want to check the rates. Article 43, Section 3, Mileage Rates states, "August 1, 2006-63.31 cents" for doubles.

"August 1, 2007-65.65 cents" for doubles.

"Sleeper teams will receive a two (2) cents per mile premium on the appropriate mileage rate..."

M

Mitch

Was a contractor for 10 years FedEx Ground and sold route few years ago. I had the largest area to cover out of that center. Yep you pay for uniforms, fuel, your package car, all insurances, and for your own utility driver for whenever you need a day off. I had a good area, great customers, but the writing was on the wall. Getting good people to cover for you was very hard, and once you got them trained they didn't stick around very long. We couldn't offer them benefits and most didn't like the long hours. Don't forget when the package car breaks down you pay the towing, repair bill, and this always burned a rental unit. Man talk about working for peanuts when your package car was down. One month I had over $6,000 in repairs. The last few years I netted $50,000 out of a gross of $86,000. I only took off maybe 10 days a year.

So today when I driver the UPS car and it breaks down I just grin and say to myself this is so much better I am still getting paid and no repair bill. I am very glad to here at UPS. One last thing the savings for not having to pay for our health insurance. When I was at FedEx Ground you paid for that too.

Sammie

Sammie, I agree about the trucker comraderie. On the road, it's way different.

But your friends might want to check the rates. Article 43, Section 3, Mileage Rates states, "August 1, 2006-63.31 cents" for doubles.

"August 1, 2007-65.65 cents" for doubles.

"Sleeper teams will receive a two (2) cents per mile premium on the appropriate mileage rate..."

I just asked The Mister about this and the 52 cents was just thrown out there. Apparently the UPS guy didn't want to brag too much and make his lunch guests feel any worse than they already did...

:laugh: