Was told I am fired. What do I do?

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Or it worked as planned.
UPS gets enough mediocrity from inside ... use the opportunity to get some good people.

I disagree. This kid was set up to fail from the beginning. It's one thing to get people to work hard and motivate them to go beyond expectations. It's another to sabotage someone who is still trying to learn. Ups cost themselves more money in wasted training and time doing this. Why? Because they have become unrealistic in their expectations. It's not the same values that you and I started with back when this company was private.

We answer and make stupid decisions now for meaningless reports and Wall Street. This kid could of been good given time. Nope. Not in the new ups thinking. They want robotic behavior regardless of conditions.

It will be big brown's Achilles heel

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
To the Original Poster, I am sorry it didn't work out. It sounds like you didn't get a fair shake. As for turning in your uniform, I think you might want to wait on that. As for your last check, I don't know if it is going to be a live one or not. I don't know if you were on direct deposit, but even if you were, the last check may be live. Someone may want to confirm this for me. And if you weren't on direct deposit, then it is definitely a live check.

I would just make it one trip on Thursday : turn in your uniform and grab your check as opposed to coming in Monday and giving up your id and uniform and then coming back on Thursday for your check and being denied access to the building. Oh, sure they might mail it to you or they might not.

Maybe someone else with more knowledge about the last check can chime in but that's my two cents.

Again, I'm sorry about the way things turned out and I wish you luck in your future endeavors.
the way this place operates , if they get a couple call outs and they are short, they'll call him in to work.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I disagree. This kid was set up to fail from the beginning. It's one thing to get people to work hard and motivate them to go beyond expectations. It's another to sabotage someone who is still trying to learn. Ups cost themselves more money in wasted training and time doing this. Why? Because they have become unrealistic in their expectations. It's not the same values that you and I started with back when this company was private.

We answer and make stupid decisions now for meaningless reports and Wall Street. This kid could of been good given time. Nope. Not in the new ups thinking. They want robotic behavior regardless of conditions.

It will be big brown's Achilles heel
right on brother!!!!

TUT

Upstate is a dick. I make 80k a year and no college education and I don't work for ups. Don't dwell on it!

To add most of the friends I grew up with are mechanics, painters, construction, iron workers, elevators, bridge etc. All in the 80k and above range. Those jobs when you get some time in to get good, pay these days. Yeah learn possibly as a scab, but jump to union asap if the field has it.

P

pickup

the way this place operates , if they get a couple call outs and they are short, they'll call him in to work.

And that's another reason(never stated as I didn't want to give the OP any false hope) for handing in his uniform later on Thursday . Maybe Monday, Tuesday, or Wednesday , with a couple of callouts, they'll give him another chance.

That much being said, if he has a solid offer from the railroad, he should definitely take it, as he would be on thin ice if he were to be called to come back here for a job that would probably not , if ever, develop into a full time offer.

Orion inc.

I like turtles
Sorry, dude, but you'd lose that bet. Upstate doesn't care what others think.

And that's why he probably lives a very lonely lonely life. Narcissists like him usually don't have genuine decent relationships. And in the end, people won't care what he thinks either. I feel sorry for him in a way. If how he treats people in the real world is like how he is here, well he's going to have a lot of regrets of not figuring out what real happiness and decency in life are all about.

DOK

To me it almost sounds like a calculated business decision. Hire these guys with no intention of keeping them, with the exception being the ones who are the elite. It's a set up the training stinks.
Do off the street hires go to the one week driving school?

UnconTROLLed

perfection
He was a temp. What were his odds of going full-time without working inside?
What ARE the odds that someone is going to nail a route in 6-7 days with a crap load, cut sections off of unusual routes and the etc.? It seems like they just wanted to see how badly he/she would perform...like a test rat, sad to say.

MAKAVELI

What ARE the odds that someone is going to nail a route in 6-7 days with a crap load, cut sections off of unusual routes and the etc.? It seems like they just wanted to see how badly he/she would perform...like a test rat, sad to say.
And it's the sad reality for anyone looking to get hired off the street full-time at UPS.

By The Book

I don't know. I would think it's possible if they were part of a class with the inside hires, yes. If they only needed 1 and it was time for an outside hire, I think the training would happen at the building.

Geo926

Yes I was a casual. Everyone does the driving school. As far as the OP, I'm going to agree with a few others on here. Sounds like you truly were set up to fail. Training routes are supposed to be decent routes with a slow progression to full dispatch by I think day 10 or 11. Sounds like you were full dispatched before then, which is total BS. The centers need to follow that training book, day by day.

clean hairy

If I was the OP, I would not be spending any time on the computer asking questions on an internet forum, I woulda been out trying to find another job.
And just maybe, gotten hired at another employer.
He sure isn't going to find another job here!

DOK

Yes I was a casual. Everyone does the driving school. As far as the OP, I'm going to agree with a few others on here. Sounds like you truly were set up to fail. Training routes are supposed to be decent routes with a slow progression to full dispatch by I think day 10 or 11. Sounds like you were full dispatched before then, which is total BS. The centers need to follow that training book, day by day.

Well here's the thing, if he was set up to fail, or the center didn't follow the proper protocol for for a new hire to have a chance at being successful, couldn't he bring this to someone's attention to try and appeal his being let go? HR or the union?

We've never hired seasonals where I'm at, that's why I ask.

barnyard

KTM rider
Railroads can be just as picky. They have hundreds of apps for every job opening. My daughter moved to Montana and knows a guy that worked for the RR as a carman. He signed a bid to go to conductor's school, went, did poorly and was put on furlough. This happened in May, approaching peak vacation season. He called the end of June and was told not to plan on being called back.

So it happens on the railroad too.