Was told I am fired. What do I do?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
And force you to miss having dinner with your family every night? Force you to miss seeing your kids in school plays? Force you to miss your kids ball games or swim meets? The money isn't worth what the job makes you miss, and it's only getting worse by the year.
You need to support your family, not see every swim practice.

Overpaid Union Thug

I am (or technically was) a casual driver. I started about 3 weeks ago and have only been on the road by myself about 7 times since they only have me come in 2-3 days a week. My route is known to be a :censored2:ty route by all the drivers. It has been getting extremely bad preloads. Several misloads and several offroutes a day. Also adding stops that aren't normally on route. The EDD is also a disaster and has me doing stops that require me to drive back and forth constantly because the stops are grouped horribly. Basically management has been on my ass about picking up the pace. In the morning I always have to deliver airs that are so far apart that I barely get them done by 10:30.

Anyways, Wednesday was so messed up and I was so far behind that on Thursday my supervisor told me that his boss wanted me gone. However he mentioned that he would explain how it was a bad day and that I can do way better. I had only 22 stops completed by 12:00 due to a completely full car and bulk packages (the fulltime drivers who saw the car were surprised that they put me with so much). Normally I average about 25 per hour. There were about 170 stops for the day and to make things worse my bulkhead door would jam on the track at every stop, the car would take about 15 seconds to start up at all times, and mgmt sent out, at separate times, 3 drivers to take some of the stops off me. (I had to wait about 15 mins each time a driver met me and they each would take only 10 stops worth. Seems kind of stupid because I could have delivered most of those within 25 mins since they were all grouped together.)

I called this morning to see if they needed me today and one of the supervisors just tells me on the phone "We aren't going to be needing your services anymore. Your production rate is too slow. No worries, we just hired new casuals and are going to stick with them and run them through the mill. If you could return your uniform today that would be great."

I told him I would go to the center on Monday to return my uniform. I was hoping that the weekend would give me time to figure this out. Is there any way to fight this? Is there a time frame in which you must be notified of termination and not just one day? Any advice would be great.
This is exactly what UPS would be like if the union wasn't around. And also why FedEx Ground would not only catch up in volume but surpass us as well.

TG43

...they only have me come in 2-3 days a week.

That doesn't seem right. You should be on the road every day while getting qualified. I was except for a couple Mondays, as it is a light day so you would basically be delivering part of another route (off-routes as you mentioned) in addition to the one your normal one.

Basically management has been on my ass about picking up the pace.

They are like that (when trying to get qualified especially). That is one thing that got better for me...less bitching about over allowed I mean. More bitching about why is everyone backing up 3 more times a day than normal though, lol.

Personally, I'd go in and talk to them. Just to get the scoop and get some things off my chest. Not really to change their mind. I'd explain the issues you had. After knowing for sure there is no recourse I'd get up and yell "That's it, I QUIT!"

TG43

The OP was a seasonal driver, not trying to qualify. He also was set up to fail for whatever crazy reason.

Guess I don't really understand that, not that is matters. I thought anyone driving within the qualification period (Jan-Nov 20 or something) was qualified after their 6 weeks, or whatever it is. Oh well.

Box Ox

Guess I don't really understand that, not that is matters. I thought anyone driving within the qualification period (Jan-Nov 20 or something) was qualified after their 6 weeks, or whatever it is. Oh well.

As far as I know, only permanents who are temp driving can qualify. Don't have to make their 30 again when they're slotted for a full time gig.

rod

Retired 22 years
I'm so young but one of the biggest thing that is attractive about the railroad is the Railroad Retirement/Pension.

A friends Dad had 12 weeks paid vacation a year his last years at the RR before he retired. + sick leave , a handful of personal paid days and his birthday off.