well new to this so here I go, I been at ups for 14 yrs and im thinking if retiring but if I work my

My second job will effect my retirement benefits is this true, I mean im not getting alot anyway after 14 yrs
So if someone could give me advice that would be great

oldngray

nowhere special
After you retire UPS you can continue working another job, and as long as it isn't related to the trucking industry it wouldn't affect your pension.

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
oldngray, I've always heard that. One of my fellow drivers retired and started a little business working on and selling lawnmowers and small engines. I was told by a mutual friend of ours that someone from our local contacted him and told him if he chose to keep doing that, his teamster retirement would cut off.

oldngray

nowhere special
oldngray, I've always heard that. One of my fellow drivers retired and started a little business working on and selling lawnmowers and small engines. I was told by a mutual friend of ours that someone from our local contacted him and told him if he chose to keep doing that, his teamster retirement would cut off.

It used to be that you could not work any job after you retired but that changed several years ago. Now only working trucking industry jobs are restricted.

And its not like they give you alot to retire on but I hurt my self on the job at ups and ever since then I have not been physically able to do the job irs harder and harder every day I had surgery in feb for a tendon to a job related injury was off for 12 weeks and its been crazy trying to get back working the way I was and I wanted to retire but they only want to give me 466.00 a month

Rainman

Its all good.
It used to be that you could not work any job after you retired but that changed several years ago. Now only working trucking industry jobs are restricted.
I'm thinking about retiring this year. When I contacted the joint council, they told me I could not work for any company participating in the JC H&W/pension plan or for any company that competes against one of those companies. For example,They told me I couldn't work for Walmart because they had their own trucks to haul stuff, but they would consider things on a case by case basis if I wasn't driving for them( ie: greeter, ect.) That narrows down the field of jobs considerably, as in my area the JC has a number of different industries represented among its members.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Depends on who administers your pension.

I can work 56 hours a month as long as it isn't a job that would compete with a Teamster job nor compete with UPS.

Rainmanis post: 1373984 said:
I'm thinking about retiring this year. When I contacted the joint council, they told me I could not work for any company participating in the JC H&W/pension plan or for any company that competes against one of those companies. For example,They told me I couldn't work for Walmart because they had their own trucks to haul stuff, but they would consider things on a case by case basis if I wasn't driving for them( ie: greeter, ect.) That narrows down the field of jobs considerably, as in my area the JC has a number of different industries represented among its members.

Kmart sux. So does Walmart. And Orion.
The second job Is security

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We can work up to 40 hours in the same industry. There are no restrictions outside of transportation.

To the OP----you didn't give your age, but if you don't have the years of service and minimum age required to receive a full pension, your pension will be severely reduced and payments won't start until you reach normal retirement age, which is 65.

Quigley

In our local you can work full time and still get your retirement as long as you elimate one of the following 3 criteria.

#1 Move out of the 13 western states
#2 Work in a different industry other then package delivery.
#3 Have a different job. Example if you now drive a truck, you can do anything as long you dont drive.

So you can actualy move back East work for UPS again and still collect your retirement.

Quigley

You are such a maroon. No matter what I post you seem to have a problem. You dont know what the hell you are talking about yet you cant refrain from showing how ignorant you are.

Quigley

Read post #10. The first criteria. Then before you post your uneducated opinion, do some research. Then if you can prove me wrong post it. I wont hold my breath waiting for your proof.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
You are such a maroon. No matter what I post you seem to have a problem. You dont know what the hell you are talking about yet you cant refrain from showing how ignorant you are.
Which part of what I wrote is incorrect or untrue? There is no way UPS is going to hire a retiree without running it by the Union first.

Resident know-it-all.

popcornsmiley.gif

Packmule

Out here, I understand there are no limitations to a new job except it can't be UPS affiliated. Really, what I do after UPS is none of the union's business.

purplesky

In our local you can work full time and still get your retirement as long as you elimate one of the following 3 criteria.

#1 Move out of the 13 western states
#2 Work in a different industry other then package delivery.
#3 Have a different job. Example if you now drive a truck, you can do anything as long you dont drive.

So you can actualy move back East work for UPS again and still collect your retirement.

You would probably end up in a really high tax bracket working for UPS again and collecting a pension also?

In our local you can do any job in retirement if you move completely out of the locals territory. I hope its true just in case I get bored and want to work again.

That doesn't sound right? Unless they have some strict rule about earning income of any kind in retirement?

Xexys

Retired and Happy
Read post #10. The first criteria. Then before you post your uneducated opinion, do some research. Then if you can prove me wrong post it. I wont hold my breath waiting for your proof.

This is exactly why when I quote his posts I always reword his signature to:
Resident No-Wit-At-All

He also used to use for his signature: "Anyone can Google"...which he never ever does either.

No wonder he hasn't been able to find a woman to spend the rest of his life with which he posted about. I wonder why he would open himself up like he does on a open forum that anyone could read. Even with his site name anyone that works with him could figure out who he truly is...just look for the loneliest stupid driver in the building. Plus, he actually had/has pictures of himself and his ex-wife loaded on the site of his wedding. What a dope!