what are the odds

babsjean

I'm a 50 year old, 96lb 5' woman. I'm very fit and athletic.
I went on the tour last week. I'd like to try my hand at the midnight shift loading and unloading.

What are my chances of getting hired. Will my size and age be held against me?

upsgrunt

What's the worst that can happen? You cannot do the job and you move on to something else. You will never know unless you try and if you show up everyday on time and do your best, UPS will show you favor from the beginning. Go for it, but don't give up until you give it a fair chance. You will be sore and tired for a while, but you will get used to it. Good Luck!!!

Tony31yrs

If you aren't in top physical condition, like everyone else that starts at UPS, you'll lose about 20 lbs in the first 2 months. That would leave you at about 75 lbs! Try it, you have nothing to lose, but I retired at 50 and couldn't wait to get out.

SmithBarney

As an aside, we had a retired Army Colonel well into his 60's start on the preload while I
was there, he wasn't in the best shape, he wasn't the fastest, but he stuck around.
His stories were great, and had funny opinions on everything, from duct tape to democrats. I think he took the job cause he was bored being retired

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
There is an old saying. Its not the size of the dog, its the size of the heart/fight in the dog.

Just the fact that you want to give it a shot speaks volumes about your character and desire.

Give me a person that wants to do the job, and I will show you a person that can do the job. Very few exceptions.

That being said, it is a very hard job at best. You will hurt places you dont even know you had.

d

bellesotico

BOXstar
I know I'm late replying..but if I may throw my two cents in. First of all your age and size cannot legally be considered in the hiring process :) Second of all..no matter what your level of fitness it will take some time for your body to acclimate to the job. Best thing is to work at a safe pace no matter how much the sups piss and moan at you..and make sure you hydrate properly. OH..and lots of rest. You will be battered and bruised for awhile..but you'll toughen up.

Channahon

Let's see - the new 40 is 30, the new 50 is 40
You should be fine based on your physical description
And your age and gender cannot be held against you, based on the EEOC. Good luck

Bad Gas!

Keep your back straight and lift with your legs.I have a young girl (about135LBs) who loads my truck with a smile...Anything over 70lb you are allowed to get help.A decent sup will get you help with 60lb if it's really bulky..Good luck and you can do it..

bellesotico

BOXstar
I'm curious what law states this? Seriously which one.

The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967

PROHIBITION OF AGE DISCRIMINATION

SEC. 623. [Section 4]

(a) It shall be unlawful for an employer-

(1) to fail or refuse to hire or to discharge any individual or
otherwise discriminate against any individual with respect to his
compensation, terms, conditions, or privileges of employment, because of
such individual's age;

http://www.eeoc.gov/policy/adea.html

There is no law on size. My apologies. When I made my comment I was actually referring to age discrimination.

http://www.eeoc.gov/policy/vii.html

UPS Lifer

I'm a 50 year old, 96lb 5' woman. I'm very fit and athletic.
I went on the tour last week. I'd like to try my hand at the midnight shift loading and unloading.

What are my chances of getting hired. Will my size and age be held against me?

A good HR rep will size you up and match you to the best job they have available.

I had a driver that was around 95 lbs and 5 foot and she beat the pants off the other drivers in her loop!. Why? Because she used the methods.

You need to ask yourself if you can lift packages weighing less than 70 lb.

The average package weighs 19 to 22 lbs. In a part time position at UPS you will be expected to unload 1200 an hour or load around 400 an hour and in that 3 hours you get a 10 minute break!

Unload - one 20 lb package every 3 seconds or load one 20 lb package every 9 seconds.

Can you do that??? It has nothing to do with age. Do you have the stamina to do this??

satellitedriver

One of my best loaders was a woman than stood 4'11" and could not have weighed more than 90lbs soaking wet.
Size and age mean nothing, unless one does not have that internal fortitude to get the job done.
I truly wish you the best.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

One of the best loaders in our bldg is a female who is about 5' tall and may weigh 110 lbs if that. (To be fair, she did need help when answering the male/female question on her application and will sometimes choose the wrong restroom on break). One of our worst loaders is a 6'3" 240 lb male former HS football star who should not be let anywhere near a pkg car.

Last edited: