What are you listening to? 5.1

wkmac

Sadly today, the family of guitarist Allan Holdsworth announced his unexpected passing. Holdsworth had a very wide resume as a guitarist but his work in 1970's progressive rock with bands like Soft Machine, Gong and my favorite UK set his plate so to speak. Holdsworth may not be a household name but among guitarists, this was a whole other matter. Among those who call Allan an influence are the likes of Eddie Van Halen, Rush's Alex Lifeson, guitarist legend Joe Satriani, Dream Theater's John Petrucci and shedder legend Yngwie Malmsteen. That lineup of guitar heroes speaks volumes.

In memoriam to Allan Holdsworth, here he is circa late 1970's with UK. This Supergroup was made up of Holdsworth, the late bassist/vocalist John Wetton King Crimson/Asia, keyboardist Eddie Jobson Zappa/Roxy Music and percussionist Eddie Jobson Yes/King Crimson.

oldngray

nowhere special
Sadly today, the family of guitarist Allan Holdsworth announced his unexpected passing. Holdsworth had a very wide resume as a guitarist but his work in 1970's progressive rock with bands like Soft Machine, Gong and my favorite UK set his plate so to speak. Holdsworth may not be a household name but among guitarists, this was a whole other matter. Among those who call Allan an influence are the likes of Eddie Van Halen, Rush's Alex Lifeson, guitarist legend Joe Satriani, Dream Theater's John Petrucci and shedder legend Yngwie Malmsteen. That lineup of guitar heroes speaks volumes.

In memoriam to Allan Holdsworth, here he is circa late 1970's with UK. This Supergroup was made up of Holdsworth, the late bassist/vocalist John Wetton King Crimson/Asia, keyboardist Eddie Jobson Zappa/Roxy Music and percussionist Eddie Jobson Yes/King Crimson.

I saw UK in the late 70's when they opened for Jethro Tull. I don't know who was in the lineup then but I wasn't that impressed.