What can police learn about safe driving from UPS?

ROBO MOD

I'm a Robot
Staff member
What can police learn about safe driving from UPS?- Police One

While many so-called experts are trying to sell their methods, videos or techniques, the United Parcel Service (UPS) – with the famous brown trucks we see every day — has been leading the private industry in driving safety for nearly 100 years.

DS

Fenderbender
This is a valid point...maybe ups could start school programs to make kids better drivers BEFORE they have an accident...
the 5 seeing habits should be taught to 15 year olds,before
they get thier licence...how do we accomplish this?

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
This is a valid point...maybe ups could start school programs to make kids better drivers BEFORE they have an accident...
the 5 seeing habits should be taught to 15 year olds,before
they get thier licence...how do we accomplish this?

Sadly, in the United States, that would be very difficult. The driver's education curriculum hasn't changed in 25+ years. I'm 23 and when I was taking drivers ed in high school (7 yrs ago +/-), I watched videos that were made in the late '70's or early '80's. The cars in the videos that went along with the simulator were all of late '70's or early '80's vintage. DS, I'm not sure if GM sold the Celebrity in Canada or not but the simulator I used for my state-mandated simulator time had a steering wheel that came from a Chevy Celebrity. The Chevy Celebrity went out of production in late 1989 or early 1990, I think. There was a talk about replacing the simulators but it wasn't going to happen until just recently, if it was going to happen at all. My point is this: they need to update the technology if they're going to update the curriculum. Both are very expensive. -Rocky

athena

Rocky, you're 23?! Wow! So, you had mandated simulation time. I didn't know that was required. Do all states require this? I am 28 and I didn't have to do this. Of course, I didn't take driver's ed either. Anyway, it costs a lot less to change curriculum than technology. It would be an interesting community service project for UPS to take part in training new drivers.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
Rocky, you're 23?! Wow! So, you had mandated simulation time. I didn't know that was required. Do all states require this? I am 28 and I didn't have to do this. Of course, I didn't take driver's ed either. Anyway, it costs a lot less to change curriculum than technology. It would be an interesting community service project for UPS to take part in training new drivers.

Yeah, I'm 23. April of '84...the world will never be the same lol ;). I think my simulation time was mandated by the state. My recollection (and I could be wrong) is that the State of Illinois has three sections to driver's ed: class, simulation and behind-the-wheel time. I don't recall when the last driver's ed legislation went through in Illinois but I think one of those was a minimum of X number of hours behind the wheel--with your parents before you could get your license. I'm 7 yrs out of date but I think it was 25 hours. Anyone in Illinois?

It would cost less to do a straight curriculum change but keep in mind the technology you'd miss out on if you didn't incorporate it. I think the rumor when I graduated high school was new simulators the next year. Didn't happen. I've been back to my high school since graduation but not the driver's ed room, so I can't say if they've changed the sims. Regardless, yeah, it would be a great community service for UPS to do.

I think I saw an article on here a long, long time ago about a UPS driver (think it was package car) that taught his high school daughter basically what UPS taught him in terms of driving methods, etc. She was driving home from school one day in the rain and right in front of her was a 5 car pile-up. She avoided it because of what her Dad had taught her. -Rocky

athena

I don't know about the world but brown cafe seems to benefit from your birth 23 years ago ;). Yeah, I checked the dmv for Missouri (where I am from) and for Georgia (where I live now) and both require a certain number of hours of driving. Not simulated but basically the same kind of deal. Things have changed a lot in the last 13 years (when I got my permit). We weren't required to do anything but pass a written exam to get a permit and then a driving exam to get a full license. That's it. Probably all the media coverage of accidents involving drivers under 21.

That is a cool story about the father/daughter driving lessons. Sounds like a pretty good dad. I agree it would be nice to have the technology to go along with the curriculum change but cost is an issue. It seems like there still would be a lot of benefits from UPS drivers sharing there knowledge. Sharing things like continually scanning the road (something I didn't know until recently) helps with safe driving.

Besides, I am sure the young teenage girls wouldn't mind getting driving tips from the "hot UPS driver", I hear so much about ;)

Channahon

In the state of Illinois, just today on the news, the following was announced:

There is legislation pending to have a teen with a permit drive for 9 months, as opposed to 3 months before applying for a license. The reason for the change, is to give the teen an opportunity to drive in all weather conditions.

There are other requirements as well, as NO cell phone usage, while driving, to name one.

I personally think this is a good change, too many young kids losing their lives to auto accidents.

athena

They changed the laws in Missouri as well due to 2 major accidents involving teen drivers.

I agree whole heartedly. As a teen, I would never have admitted to the possibility that I was too inexperienced to handle driving as an adult. However, just as my mother said I would, I now see as an adult that teens really do need more practice and training then was given when I was a teen.

RockyRogue

Agent of Change
In the state of Illinois, just today on the news, the following was announced:

There is legislation pending to have a teen with a permit drive for 9 months, as opposed to 3 months before applying for a license. The reason for the change, is to give the teen an opportunity to drive in all weather conditions.

There are other requirements as well, as NO cell phone usage, while driving, to name one.

I personally think this is a good change, too many young kids losing their lives to auto accidents.

All those sound like excellent rules, Channahon. My driver's ed instructor hammered into our heads: don't slam on your breaks in the snow! I told my Dad about that the same night, which happened to be one snowy, cold night and his eyes lit up. He grabbed his car keys and said, "Let's go!" I followed and he tossed the keys to me. We went to this parking lot and he told me to get the car up to about 20 and then slam on the brakes. I did. I freaked, fighting the wheel to keep it under control. I brought the car to a stop and he said, "OK. You did just what I wanted you to but you cannot panic! Do it again. This time, apply the brakes easily and gently." I did and brought the tank Oldsmobile I was driving to a smooth stop. Fast forward two years or so. I was driving home--in the same car from above--from my UPS sort in snow and ice after 10 p.m when an idiot driving a Chevy Suburban decided to go from the far right lane to the turn lane--four lanes over!! I was doing about 25 since it was a downward slope and was still a little concerned. I saw the guy's left turn signal go on from about fifty feet away and applied some brakes. I felt the car skid and my heart skipped a beat as I steadied the car's path. I was about 10 feet away from the jack***'s bumper when I finally slid to a stop. I checked my mirrors, blindspot and turned slightly since the bozo had his rear-passenger fender sitting in my lane! I pointed the car's nose a good 10 feet from the guy's bumper and pulled away at about 10 mph, laying on the horn as I did. I caught a surprised look on the passenger's face as I went by. They didn't even know I was there until then!

They changed the laws in Missouri as well due to 2 major accidents involving teen drivers.

I agree whole heartedly. As a teen, I would never have admitted to the possibility that I was too inexperienced to handle driving as an adult. However, just as my mother said I would, I now see as an adult that teens really do need more practice and training then was given when I was a teen.

I too, agree wholeheartedly. I had my first accident 2 weeks after getting my license--totalling my first car in the process. No injuries, just vehicle damage. I was in an unfamiliar area at night, which was part of my parent's explanation for the wreck. IMHO, I think Illinois is on the right track. At the same time, I think it should be 17 or 18 before getting a license. When/if I have kids, I'm not going to put them under my insurance without a driver's ed course. In many states, you can get your license at 18--without a driver's ed course! If I live in state with all four seasons, my kids are d*mn sure going to drive in all types of weather, even if its not required by law! I'll put them behind the wheel in a downpour and see how they handle it. Snow? They'll drive when its actually snowing and in the aftermath on slick or short-sight streets!! During the above, I'll keep an eye on them. If they panic, that's it. We do it all over again. I'm not putting new driver's on the road that will do so in a situation that requires calm. After my first accident, I was talking to my Dad and he said, "I wanted to tell you something. You haven't lost your composure, cried or panicked during this entire thing. For your first such situation, you've handled it very well. Its kept me relatively calm and since your mother is standing right here, its kept her calm, too. I want to say thank-you for not stressing either of us out unduly." Sorry for the rant...-Rocky