What do I do about this write up?

Hi, I just joined the forum, and have been an employee at FedEx for two months now. Since then I have had exceptional numbers and praise from my operations manager. However, last night my scanner (one of the new ones) decided not to track my box scans, after my break and I was told I didn't scan 230+ boxes. The scanner didn't buzz or alert me it wasn't scanning properly.

Today I got to work, and before the day we had our daily meeting. It was announced that we all be aware of this issue and to make sure it doesn't happen. I get to my load area and the manager asks me to sign a write up. I refused until I saw HR because to me, I wasn't in the wrong, my history says I do well, and their equipment was faulty and didn't do its jobs. The manager threw a fit and kicked me out of the shift.

What should I do next, especially when I talk to HR tomorrow?

MassWineGuy

First off, it is your right not to sign anything. Emphasize to HR that so far all you’ve received is excellent feedback from your manager. (Is this the same mgr who got angry?) Describe how the scanner malfunctioned and gave no indication that it was doing so. Given this, it was clearly equipment failure rather than an error on your part. Since you showed up on time ready to work and your manager did not allow you to, ask to be paid for all of your usual shift.

That is, of course, if your scanner continued to give single beeps for each piece you scanned. Was it turning off after each scan or did it stay on continuously? Triple beeping?

Keep us posted.

Hi, thanks for for your response. No my normal manager was out, his replacement and the main manager both got mad at me for the fault of the scanner. And yeah, the scanner stayed in the whole time giving only a single beep, just as it usually does when it works. It tends to buzz and beep three times when it fails.

I'll be going to HR in the morning, so hopefully I can get something worked out.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Request a GFT packet. They're such a pain in the ass to management that they usually rethink their actions and will tear up the letter. Expect an OLCC, minimum.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Here's hoping HR can help you out but at the same time, don't get your hopes up. HR can be very fickle and buddies with the managers.

Anyway it sounds like the manager is protecting himself and throwing the blame on you for his crappy equipment. If the company wasn't so cheap they'd still have a BERT (basic electronic repair technician) who would have pulled a defective scanner out of the system and sent it to Memphis for repairs. The last BERT guy our station had was over 10 years ago and they cut his hours from 40 to 20 so he quit. I don't think any stations have a BERT guy anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
He hasn’t replied back. They must have sent him to prison for those missed scans.

Not a real smart move on his part using a real name here.

No one cares about his real name. The FB group has people using their real names and posting things that are far more daring than anything that's posted here outside of MF's nonsense.

Sorry, haven't been home to update. So, everything got dropped. Turns out the operations manager was pissed off because the bad numbers looked bad on him and he was taking it out on me. They admitted it was a software issue.

However, after working a full shift, there was a awareness meeting (which I clocked in for to attend because they wanted as many people there, and you know, to learn). At the beginning of my next shift I was told I was getting written up for not taking a full 30 minute break. So it's safe to say I'm searching for new jobs now.

Inputnamehere

Sorry, haven't been home to update. So, everything got dropped. Turns out the operations manager was pissed off because the bad numbers looked bad on him and he was taking it out on me. They admitted it was a software issue.

However, after working a full shift, there was a awareness meeting (which I clocked in for to attend because they wanted as many people there, and you know, to learn). At the beginning of my next shift I was told I was getting written up for not taking a full 30 minute break. So it's safe to say I'm searching for new jobs now.

well... did you take a full 30 minute break?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
An OLCC? That’s nothing. This seems like an over-reaction.
Well he didn't say OLCC. Sounds like a bonafide write-up to me.

He's a newbie and a OLCC is as far as that should go even if he didn't take the full 30 minute break.

Artee

Well he didn't say OLCC. Sounds like a bonafide write-up to me.

He's a newbie and a OLCC is as far as that should go even if he didn't take the full 30 minute break.
They take brake violations pretty seriously. A handle at a station I pick up freight from got fired for multiple break violations. I believe he had 3, which meant a letter for each and 3 letters within 12 months means bye bye. He was a great worker too, always hustling. Always keeping the dead weight do nothings and getting rid of the people who put in effort. Seems backwards.

Sounds like the OP needs to learn the rules on how the game is played. Gotta take your required breaks.

They take brake violations pretty seriously. A handle at a station I pick up freight from got fired for multiple break violations. I believe he had 3, which meant a letter for each and 3 letters within 12 months means bye bye. He was a great worker too, always hustling. Always keeping the dead weight do nothings and getting rid of the people who put in effort. Seems backwards.

Sounds like the OP needs to learn the rules on how the game is played. Gotta take your required breaks.

Yeah sure, I get thay, but when a manager asks you to come, you go. The company seems like it has some bad policies. And the communication there lacks, especially since I didn't even know that was a rule. I went from an upper management job where I worked 10 hours shifts with no breaks to this, so it's been a shock.

Artee

Yeah sure, I get thay, but when a manager asks you to come, you go. The company seems like it has some bad policies. And the communication there lacks, especially since I didn't even know that was a rule. I went from an upper management job where I worked 10 hours shifts with no breaks to this, so it's been a shock.
Well now you know. Try to avoid doing things that will require you to take a break or having to take an extra 30 minutes. If you don't know ask your manager when you should be taking your breaks, so you are not in violation of that also. Cannot start your break too late and cannot be taken in the last hour of your shift.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Well now you know. Try to avoid doing things that will require you to take a break or having to take an extra 30 minutes. If you don't know ask your manager when you should be taking your breaks, so you are not in violation of that also. Cannot start your break too late and cannot be taken in the last hour of your shift.
Unless freight is late and you just clocked in. THEN management will “suggest” that you take your break. Yeah, sure.

yadig

This is freaking hilarious!! I wouldn’t let a letter bother me a bit. Who gives a crap? I think you should be more concerned about your job. I hope your a young buck and hv low debt. Go to ups and get to it quick if you like this type of work. If you get a write up over there at least you’ll hv a union to back u up.