What I Believe is Truth: The Death of Objective Reality

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Here is the problem with objective reality vs subjective reality, we can only experience objective reality through our subjective filters. Which reality is superior? If our understanding of objective reality is limited by our ability to perceive it through our subjective lense, then how can we ever know what is truly objective? Or that objective reality even exists? There is too much information, we can not hope to know or understand even a fraction of a percent of what there is to know, yet we talk about any given topic as though we are experts, or that the experts actually know what they are talking about. The entirety of the human experience is pure absurdity. Yet we continue on and find ways to make life better, and that, in and of itself, is nothing short of astounding.

floridays

Here is the problem with objective reality vs subjective reality, we can only experience objective reality through our subjective filters. Which reality is superior? If our understanding of objective reality is limited by our ability to perceive it through our subjective lense, then how can we ever know what is truly objective? Or that objective reality even exists? There is too much information, we can not hope to know or understand even a fraction of a percent of what there is to know, yet we talk about any given topic as though we are experts, or that the experts actually know what they are talking about. The entirety of the human experience is pure absurdity. Yet we continue on and find ways to make life better, and that, in and of itself, is nothing short of astounding.
Astounding, now could you just bring me my Jagerbomb.
Bartenders.... smh

jes messin
you're much smarter than me, we've chatted before.:thumbup1:

Last edited:

vantexan

Did you get lost in the Matrix again?

newfie

objectively WTF?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Did you get lost in the Matrix again?

We may never know.

objectively WTF?

I like to pull this stuff out any time a nut job starts rambling on about things like this. You can't argue facts with them, you can't even make them understand what the scientific method, which they claim to honor above all else, actually is. So you have to break it down to the most basic level for them, then, maybe, just maybe, they will start to realize there's a chance they could be wrong. Or maybe they'll just shut up and go away.

rickyb

i was listening to cornel west and he said something about since we may never find the truth, then how can we stay inspired to come as close to the truth as possible.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
i was listening to cornel west and he said something about since we may never find the truth, then how can we stay inspired to come as close to the truth as possible.

I subscribe to the philosophy of absurdism, which is a branch of existentialism, but only as a part of my over all view on life. The quest for truth is most surely a doomed enterprise, which is where the absurdity comes in. Nihilism would say, since it's impossible to know truth, then there cannot be truth to know. Absurdism says it's impossible to know truth, but I'm going to try anyway. It's like a samurai, trying to beat back the oncoming tide. It's impossible, but the attempt will make him stronger. It's why people climb mountains, because they're there. You don't really know what's impossible until you try, and even if you fail, someone else may succeed, so we keep on keeping on.

rickyb

I subscribe to the philosophy of absurdism, which is a branch of existentialism, but only as a part of my over all view on life. The quest for truth is most surely a doomed enterprise, which is where the absurdity comes in. Nihilism would say, since it's impossible to know truth, then there cannot be truth to know. Absurdism says it's impossible to know truth, but I'm going to try anyway. It's like a samurai, trying to beat back the oncoming tide. It's impossible, but the attempt will make him stronger. It's why people climb mountains, because they're there. You don't really know what's impossible until you try, and even if you fail, someone else may succeed, so we keep on keeping on.
im just rewatching a wisecrack video on absurdism and they say its meaningless.

what do you think of this video?

i dont know too much about philosophy, ive listened to cornel west and chris hedges talk about it a bit, read a few matrix and star wars philosophy books.

consumerism is a way of covering up the meaninglessness of life.

Last edited:

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
im just rewatching a wisecrack video on absurdism and they say its meaningless.

what do you think of this video?

i dont know too much about philosophy, ive listened to cornel west and chris hedges talk about it a bit, read a few matrix and star wars philosophy books.

consumerism is a way of covering up the meaninglessness of life.

I have seen another video they did about the subject. I did not see a part in this one where they say absurdity is meaningless. My views line up more with the absurd hero they explain in this video, as I tend to reject pure existentialism. You can argue that we make our own meaning, but I would argue, how would you know you were creating it? Camus' answer to the meaninglessness of life is to learn to be happy with meaninglessness, but that is more of a defeatist attitude. Though it may be fine for the weak spirited, it does not inspire striving for something greater than ourselves.

I guess you could say consumerism would be a way to learn to be happy with meaninglessness, but, in my experience, consumerism doesn't lead to happiness at all.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
more people should try this

they mention absurdity being meaningless right at the beginning.

They are quoting Camus, when he said life is absurd, which is to say that life is meaningless. By the transitive property you could say that Camus was saying that absurdity is meaningless, but I don't think that was the point he was making.