What is the process to go from Day Shift to Night Shift? [On Topic]

Fergalicious

I am interested in using UPS' Metropolitan College benefits, and of course, to use those you must be employed for the night shift. I've been trying to talk to my FT about this, but he's been extremely unhelpful and vague. Of course, I also understand that these changes will most likely be implemented after peak season, but I want to try to get on this process as soon as possible.

Has anyone signed up to go from Day Shift to Night Shift, or vice versa - and what is one expected to do to be able to do this?

Thanks in advance!

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
At the Hub I work at, a Bid List is put up at the beginning of the year for Shift Changes, Part-time to Full-time jobs, Saturday work, and any other extra work. I would recommend that you get to know where the union posts these things and get to know your Job Steward and Business Agent.

Last edited:
Hey Fergalicious, the bid/transfer system is on the UPS air group website and is accessible only within the company computers. You click a check box next to the positions you're interested in, which range from 1DA Core, 1DA Wing Hub, Grade Lane 1DA, 1DA Small sort, or 1DA ramp just to name a few. Once a spot opens in one of the areas you selected and you're the highest seniority that wants it, you'll receive a letter letting you know that you've been selected for a transfer.

That being said, you need to have one year of seniority before you are eligible for a transfer. How quickly you'll transfer will depend on what area(s) you choose, who all has signed the bid sheet, and how many openings the area has. It all depends on seniority. Keep in mind, you are allowed only two transfers per year with at least six months between transfers. If you receive an offer but decline it, it will count as an awarded transfer and you will then have to wait another six months before you can bid again, so be aware of this when considering a transfer.

Your best bet is to wait until after peak season to file for a transfer. During peak season, granting transfers is at the bottom of the priority list while ensuring all packages make service is the top priority.

Hope this helps and best of luck to you!

km3

In my building you only need 6 months to transfer. They put up a sign up sheet quarterly, along with FT driver sign ups.

It just varies by local...