what makes you eligible to vote

How Now Brown Cow

Could we or should we change what makes you eligible to vote? I'm wondering what percentage of those eligible to vote have been employed less than 5 years. What kind of turnout was it from those that are here for a career vs those pt'ers with no intentions on staying.

I was thinking something like you would become eligible to vote the second time a contract is voted on since you became employed, or maybe at 5 years.
If you haven't been there through one, you wouldn't really have an understanding how things can or will actually change when a new agreement is reached. And because of that you're probably much less likely to pay attention and vote. Second time around, you've been there long enough to get it and would hopefully value your new ability to vote.

At first I was thinking that pt needed a separate contract than ft, but the pt'er vote would be pitiful and the company would be able to get away with anything they wanted.

Thoughts?

*Edit* sorry I didn't realize there were a bunch of other threads started about voting eligibility, it's just what was on my mind today, and I posted when I got home before browsing. Throw this into one of those if you want, mods.

542thruNthru

Could we or should we change what makes you eligible to vote? I'm wondering what percentage of those eligible to vote have been employed less than 5 years. What kind of turnout was it from those that are here for a career vs those pt'ers with no intentions on staying.

I was thinking something like you would become eligible to vote the second time a contract is voted on since you became employed, or maybe at 5 years.
If you haven't been there through one, you wouldn't really have an understanding how things can or will actually change when a new agreement is reached. And because of that you're probably much less likely to pay attention and vote. Second time around, you've been there long enough to get it and would hopefully value your new ability to vote.

At first I was thinking that pt needed a separate contract than ft, but the pt'er vote would be pitiful and the company would be able to get away with anything they wanted.

Thoughts?

This has been brought up and I totally disagree with it. You pay dues to be part of the union.

If you think people under 5 years shouldn't be allowed to vote then I think people with 30 shouldn't be allowed to vote. I don't want someone that won't suffer from the contract they vote yes on ruining it for everyone behind them.

rebel87

Thoughts?

*Edit* sorry I didn't realize there were a bunch of other threads started about voting eligibility, it's just what was on my mind today, and I posted when I got home before browsing. Throw this into one of those if you want, mods.

How Now Brown Cow

It's not really about how people will vote, more on IF they will vote. If we don't have enough people to vote, almost any contract can be pushed through.

How Now Brown Cow

So why don't you propose changing the 2/3s language instead of taking away PT voices?
I suppose thats an option, but that leaves the ability to try and manipulate the vote by management. They were bringing people into the office to discuss the contract here. Mainly the new guys, it wasn't JUST about the importance of voting.

542thruNthru

I suppose thats an option, but that leaves the ability to try and manipulate the vote by management. They were bringing people into the office to discuss the contract here. Mainly the new guys, it wasn't JUST about the importance of voting.

Well the union did the same thing. It's everyone's job to inform each other. We passed out just as much info here as management and also talked to members after PCMs. Never saw anyone brought into the office but if I did I would have demanded to attend.

rebel87

Thoughts?

I would agree that you have to be employed for 5 years before you are eligible to vote. That would push voter turnout over 50% and are votes would actually matter.

Brown Down

Nope I have one better I posted in another post. Register to vote. Those that vote won't care about a few extra minutes to do it. Those that never do wouldn't care. As far as I'm concerned when you don't vote then you have given up your right to a voice in the matter.

rebel87

Nope I have one better I posted in another post. Register to vote. Those that vote won't care about a few extra minutes to do it. Those that never do wouldn't care. As far as I'm concerned when you don't vote then you have given up your right to a voice in the matter.
Not a bad idea. Something has to change so our votes matter.

Brown Down

And if that was the case they could be brought up to the dept of labor for ballot tampering