What? No heat?

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
I drove a package car yesterday that didn't have heat. It was only about fourty or so, not to cold but would have been nice to have a little heat. I did write it up on the dvr and the truck was to be pmi the next day. I was just wondering as what to do if it was really cold and if I could refuse to drive the truck. I was thinking if the windows fogged up it would be a safety issue. Just looking for some advice on this one.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I drove a package car yesterday that didn't have heat. It was only about fourty or so, not to cold but would have been nice to have a little heat. I did write it up on the dvr and the truck was to be pmi the next day. I was just wondering as what to do if it was really cold and if I could refuse to drive the truck. I was thinking if the windows fogged up it would be a safety issue. Just looking for some advice on this one.

All you can do is write it up and put it in the mechanic's hands. As far as refusing to drive the truck, that is most certainly your perogative. However, I like my job, so I would probably just put a few more layers on and go from there, but I would definitely talk to somebody to make sure this pkg car was not put back on the road until the heater was fixed.

I can recall times when I have had to use the ice scraper on the inside of the windshield so it doesn't sound as though you had it too bad--yet.

PAUPSER

I agree take upstates advice come prepared to dress warm and or bring some extra clothes; hat and gloves in case the heater breaks or worst yet you breakdown or get stuck in the winter. Also make sure you inform the mechanic and keep reminding him of the heater problem,

cino321

Vehicles are supposed to have heat, I wouldn't deliver in one that didn't, that being said, always dress warm in case you break down or something.

over9five

Staff member
I would take the car out the day I discovered it didn't have heat. I'd write it up in the DVIR that night, and probably talk to the mechanic too.

But if it wasn't fixed the next day (and it was cold), I would refuse to drive it. If nothing else (as someone else said), having no defrost IS a safety issue.

MD Dan

DOT regulations require working defrosters which require the car to produce heat. This is a safety issue and should be noted as such on your DVIR. Your mechanics should treat it with same urgency they do any safety issue. In my district the car must be repaired or redtagged until it can be repaired.

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
The C/M will tell you if you worked hard enough you won't need heat!!! Cold my arse , give him a few more stops till the heatah is fixed!!!! mothah of Gohd he wouldn't last in Bahston !!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

when does your pc run long enough to get warm? besides the door is open most of the day anyways

You are going to tell me that none of the pkg car drivers in Syracuse leave the pkg cars running while they run off a residential? I will tell you that I have done this myself many times when I was on my country run and that was when I had my standard which made the chance of a roll away that much greater. I am curious to see how well my new automatic handles the winters up here.

1080Driver

With my 1990 GMC P1000 (gas,4speed), I never really was concerned in snow, but with the 2006 Freightliner (automatic/diesel) I drive now, its not the same......maybe its the tires, I don't know, but not much grip from the rear wheels...the like to spin with a touch on the accelerator.....at least the ABS does help though.......but the heat does crank. Good luck

local804

Without heat, a package car can be a driving hazard. If the windows have frost or if they are foggy, your view can obstructed. Whos fault would it be if you were to get into an accident?
Take it to the shop. I am sure they can fix it in a short period of time.

PAUPSER

I once told the mechanic that I thought my heater in my truck was a snow machine because all it did was blow cold air that later formed into snow/ice. That was the day that I had to use a ice scraper on both the outside and inside of the windows!

User Name

Only 230 Today?? lol
I took out the car and found out later that day that the heat didnt work. It wasn't to bad but would have been nice if it blew something (lol). I wrote it up on the dvr but I know that if it was really cold out and I found out that the heater wasn't working I would have talked to the mechanic before I left. I thought I saw somegthing in the contract about heat. Thanks for the info....

retired2000

oh, i am sure there were a few of the old timers that left the car running in the winter here in syracuse. i use to tell people if the asked how the heaters worked in the cars it works just enough to melt the snow on your shoes to get your feet wet.

paidslave

I would take the car out the day I discovered it didn't have heat. I'd write it up in the DVIR that night, and probably talk to the mechanic too.

But if it wasn't fixed the next day (and it was cold), I would refuse to drive it. If nothing else (as someone else said), having no defrost IS a safety issue.

Work as instructed and then Grieve or you will be fired for insubordination. The republicon way of doing things....Ask
TIEGUY he'll tell you....

SmithBarney

If the window is icing on the inside it means its warmer inside than outside
sounds like you have plenty of heat... ;)

J/k write it up in the "safety concern" section of the DVR it'll get fixed