What three questions would you ask Scott Davis?

menotyou

bella amicizia
This was posed to me a while back. I have a couple I would ask. But, I am more interested in what the management would ask him. I am very curious. Thank you for your time. :happy2:

menotyou

bella amicizia
Why have management at all? You just need a bunch of puppets.
That is a sad commentary on someone's management style. It is the most ineffective way to manage. We don't even need puppets. Monitors/speakers will do the job just as well. That way you could get rid of the divisional level as well.

beentheredonethat

This was posed to me a while back. I have a couple I would ask. But, I am more interested in what the management would ask him. I am very curious. Thank you for your time. :happy2:

In short it would be "What's next?"

By this I mean the following has negatively impacted management over the years.

1. MIP no longer based on % profit of company, now an arbitrary number.
2. Pension for newer mgmt has changed greatly.
3. Mgmt portion of HW and our copays have gone up incredibly (esp compared to Teamsters).
4. Acct Rec MIP (interest free tax free loan of social security on MIP was stopped).
5. Due to going public, ability to hype has gone away. For those that did it, it was significant amt of money.
6. Vacation week accrual was taken away with no compensation.

There are many other similar examples of where mgmt has gotten the shaft. So what's next, what else will you do to us?

The next big question is.... If we actually had the old formula for MIP. What would the number be? I'm guessing much closer to a 4.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
Since you are sitting on a huge pile of cash, it is apparent that you and the Board can't figure out good ways to invest it.
1) Why not increase the dividend to let the stockholders invest it?
2) Why not pay out a one-time bonus to management that used up half of the cash?
3) Why aren't you looking for ways to productively invest that cash? Here's a free suggestion: loan it to small business customers at 8%. They can't get loans from the greedhead banks, and this way UPS contributes to kickstarting the economy.

beentheredonethat

Since you are sitting on a huge pile of cash, it is apparent that you and the Board can't figure out good ways to invest it.
1) Why not increase the dividend to let the stockholders invest it?
2) Why not pay out a one-time bonus to management that used up half of the cash?
3) Why aren't you looking for ways to productively invest that cash? Here's a free suggestion: loan it to small business customers at 8%. They can't get loans from the greedhead banks, and this way UPS contributes to kickstarting the economy.

Techgirl.. good ideas. Here's another. Spend it to build newer, bigger facilities. Even hubs like Cchil were over capacity at peak. This was in a "bad economy year". What happens when economy improves. We will really be in trouble.

Paycheck

1. Do you really believe you are worth the money and stock the company pays you?
2. Does it make you and the rest of Corporate happy to know there isn't a manager or superviser that has any respect for you?
3. Do think UPS will still be in business in the next 5-10 years?

It just too bad that ol' Scott will never answer any of the question we have all posted.

hangin455

I honestly think we know most answers....

Its Competition, Competition, Competition.

Maybe we don't like the answer.

The one I would like an honest answer for is:

Tell my why going public is a good thing for UPS?

Great question but I don't think Scott had anything to do with this one. You have to track down Jim Kelly - believe he was at the helm at the time of that debacle. I believe the reason given at the time for going public was that we would need to have stock in the public domain in order to do acquisitions. I don't believe we ever did an acquisition with stock. As another poster has mentioned UPS is somewhat flush with cash. Never heard of a deal that couldn't get done with cash. I believe it was a way for that generation of management to line their pockets on the way to their retirements homes....

sosocal

...what is the point...
A more thought provoking hypothetical would be to ask Casey what his thoughts would be on where Scott Davis has taken his company if he were still alive to see his ideas on management partnership and hourly participation discarded- I Think Scott would have a lot of 'splainin to do, and Jim would be mad as hell!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

sosocal, I think you would have to go back to his predecessor and to that person's predecessor to see the gradual movement away from the principles Mr. Casey founded the business upon.

curiousbrain

1) What are your thoughts on the way "global business" is evolving, and how does UPS fit into that paradigm?
2) Is the future of UPS in package delivery, or as an external provider of logistical solutions - or something else entirely?
3) What is the biggest threat to UPS' long-term strategy? Some examples might be fuel cost, competition (FedEx, obviously), trade barriers, etc.

Why these questions? A tactic I've often used in life is when I can only ask a specific number of questions to an individual, I try to frame the question in a broader context, such that by answering one question, the individual is forced to answer a dozen others that I may be wondering. If Scott would answer these questions, he would be forced to walk through many others that I am curious about, as well.

constructively dissatisfi

I'd ask him how many Supervisor MIP awards the sporty AMG Mercedes he's rocking these days set him back. On edmunds.com it says they go for over $200k, but the dealer probably gave him the UPS discount.