What to do with this guy?

P

Pablo

we have a guy at our hub that has worked there for about a year now. he worked in the unload for about 6 months and now he's working in the preload. he's a good worker. he works fast and does a good job. but the problem is, he's a scab and he doesn't know the concept of teamwork. he only looks out for himself and doesn't even talk to anyone. he wont even say "hi" or "good morning".

what should we do?

over9five

Staff member
"he's a scab "

There's been no strike in the last year that I remember, so how do you know he's a scab?

"he works fast and does a good job."

He's at work. That's what you're supposed to do.

"doesn't even talk to anyone. he wont even say "hi" or "good morning"."

He doesn't want to be your friend. Get over it.

"what should we do?"

Learn from him. Work fast, and do a good job. Remember not everyone is going to like you.

Cole

He is new and wants to qualify. He'll open up as time goes probably.

The only thing to do is treat them as you would want to be treated, not like he's conspiring against you.

P

Pablo

There's been no strike in the last year that I remember, so how do you know he's a scab?

when he worked in the unload, our center manager broke a promise so we all slowed down, except for this guy. this guy was purposely going faster to make up for us and we were doing it for a good reason.

He is new and wants to qualify. He'll open up as time goes probably.

he's worked there for over a year and hasn't really even talked to anyone.

i've also heard that the few times he has talked, he makes fun of the teamsters union.

trickpony1

Does this saying ring a bell with anyone?..........

"When you don't know who your enemies are you pick your friends carefully".

Maybe he doesn't want to get involved in the politics.

DS

Fenderbender
the fact that he wont say hi could mean that he`s a terrorist...or maybe he cant afford to lose his job

dillweed

We aren't hired for our dispositions, we're hired to sling cardboard. Give the guy respect and don't judge him by his silence.

Lord knows what he may be going through at home. He may be in pain, midst of a divorce, have a dying family member, or as trickpony suggest, he might be waiting to see who's who.

upsdude

when he worked in the unload, our center manager broke a promise so we all slowed down, except for this guy. this guy was purposely going faster to make up for us and we were doing it for a good reason

You guys are treading in some potentially dangerous waters. If management could prove a “work slowdown” to a panel, you guys would be on the outside looking in.

I agree with trickpony, maybe the guy just wants to work and go home.

P

Pablo

hmmm, i think you guys are right. i kindof feel bad now.

do you guys think that he's selling himself short by being a teamster? maybe i should tell him that he should try and get a corporate job so that he can apply himself and use his potential.

what do you all think?

raceanoncr

hmmm, i think you guys are right. i kindof feel bad now.

do you guys think that he's selling himself short by being a teamster? maybe i should tell him that he should try and get a corporate job so that he can apply himself and use his potential.

what do you all think?

I thot you said he was a scab? Now he's a teamster? :confused:1

moreluck

golden ticket member
Under this definition, a guy can be a Teamster and still be a 'scab'.
scab....a union member who refuses to strike or returns to work before a strike has ended

trickpony1

scab....a union member who refuses to strike or returns to work before a strike has ended

Now I'm really confused.
What is a person called that resigns from the union but will not cross any picket lines or work during a strike?

BCFan

gotta say a scab is a piocket crossing POS a freerider is a non member enjoying the benefits we have fought and struck for:thumbup1:BC

raceanoncr

Uh...did we just have a strike? Did I miss another one?

So this guy IS a Teamster but crossed the picket line! OK, but I thot the post said the guy'd only been here a year?

Is this political double-talk?

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Now I'm really confused.
What is a person called that resigns from the union but will not cross any picket lines or work during a strike?

I wonder what do you call a guy who schedules his vacations to start the day the old contract runs out?:tongue_sm

Either smart or optimistic!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Race....I was just responding to BC who said a scab was a non-union guy. I was trying to clarify the def. of scab. to tell him it includes union guys too. Sorry to confuse you.