What to expect on first days as a new driver?

infamousKB

I just recently finished Intergrad, and I want to know what will the next step is. There are something I still do not understand, like "How do you know where to go?" I know you have the address in the DIAD and you have your deliveries with commitment times, but how do you know where to go? If you never been to an area before, what should you do? I need some pointers.
Also, how can you tell which delivery is next, I remember the discussion about centers using Orion, which you have to follow, but what about other situations?

PT Car Washer

I just recently finished Intergrad, and I want to know what will the next step is. There are something I still do not understand, like "How do you know where to go?" I know you have the address in the DIAD and you have your deliveries with commitment times, but how do you know where to go? If you never been to an area before, what should you do? I need some pointers.
Also, how can you tell which delivery is next, I remember the discussion about centers using Orion, which you have to follow, but what about other situations?
Driver supervisor will drive the first couple days with you. Then you drive and the sup rides along. When he feels you are ready you will be turned loose by yourself with a reduced load that increases daily until you go out with a full load and either sink or swim.

Savvy412

Driver supervisor will drive the first couple days with you. Then you drive and the sup rides along. When he feels you are ready you will be turned loose by yourself with a reduced load that increases daily until you go out with a full load and either sink or swim.
End thread //

If you have time. Ask your sup
For a print out of route. It will print out the drivers exact day and just take your car and run it 5 times. Then When you are home virtually run it on googlemaps . That's what I did and when I first trained my sup was like wow! I'm impressed . And only was with me for 1 day. You'll gain mad browny points if you know it (decently) before you start

You may think you still don't know it . But you'll be driving and you will know t better then you think . Trust me . Don't go out there blind with a sup. Well you can but... It's a lot to juggle as it is. Following the methods and the diad and driving . They will Knit pick EVERY SINGLE THING. Just take a deep breath. Know your going to suck and it WILL GET BETTER.

Last edited:

infamousKB

Does this also go for Cover Driver?

Savvy412

As for how you know what to deliver. In your diad its like

1341 smith st
1325 smith st
1521 smith st
2034 Douglas ave
2054 Douglas ave

So once you scan. The top disappears and then the next on up. Some stops are so close you grab both stops and walk them off ..
And for the most part it goes in order. Most likely smith is by Douglas. There is something you can hit that shows surrounding areas also if your not sure . But remember. When your by your self GOOGLEMAPS! Googlemaps! They'll say no phone but. Just don't do it while driving

Damn man. Starting from scratch, can't even imagine. You have soo much to learn lol. But you'll be ok.. You'll see .

If you wanna email for more help I'll be here to help

dookie stain

Cornfed whiteboy
End thread //

If you have time. Ask your sup
For a print out of route. It will print out the drivers exact day and just take your car and run it 5 times. Then When you are home virtually run it on googlemaps . That's what I did and when I first trained my sup was like wow! I'm impressed . And only was with me for 1 day. You'll gain mad browny points if you know it (decently) before you start

You may think you still don't know it . But you'll be driving and you will know t better then you think . Trust me . Don't go out there blind with a sup. Well you can but... It's a lot to juggle as it is. Following the methods and the diad and driving . They will Knit pick EVERY SINGLE THING. Just take a deep breath. Know your going to suck and it WILL GET BETTER.
This. Exactly.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
One thing I did that helped was getting the driver manifest print out for the entire previous week the Friday before I started driving. Saturday I went through it to find the pattern and drew it on the map. I then drove the area on Sunday to get an idea. Does it take time? Sure. Is it on your own time? Yep. But It helped. Once you start driving pay attention to the area. You'll learn the landmarks and eventually it will become second nature.

Good luck!

hyena

Everyone that answered before me gave you good advice. I drove the area a couple days before I started qualifying . You ain't gonna remember every street but don't get discouraged. Don't worry about numbers or anything else your first couple days. It will come naturally soon enough. Good luck

joeboodog

good people drink good beer
Learn the area. Get yourself a good paper map. Forget using the one in your phone because it will eat up your battery. A paper one will help you visualize your training area better. Talk to drivers that are familiar with your route. Ask them for pointers.

UPSjedi41

All the above and find a driver who knows it well to give you more info, hints, tips and other pickup info about the route. If your center has Orion, you can print a map with the stops plotted out. It won't be in a perfect order, but the stops will be plotted on where they are on the street.

NonDeliverOtherMissed

Not only will using your phone burn up your battery you will waste so much time looking up each address...buy a map, sold at most convenience stores...get a highlighter and look at 5-10 street names in your diad at a time and highlight them in your map...walk quickly, make up time on your feet not by driving your car fast...and remember They know EVERYTHING you do...don't get in an accident, and if u have an injury, don't report it unless it's terribly bad

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
Learn the area. Get yourself a good paper map. Forget using the one in your phone because it will eat up your battery. A paper one will help you visualize your training area better. Talk to drivers that are familiar with your route. Ask them for pointers.
Use a highlighter too, to help you line out the route

billerz

Don't be afraid to ask questions, the sup understands you are new and he wants you to do well. Driving the area before hand is probably the best advice someone could give.
As far as learning the Diad and methods, ask questions and realize it will take time. The hardest thing for me to get was package selection and sorting, partially because I never was in preload. Good luck, and if I can qualify, I know any one else can lol

Delivery!!!

I've never used a paper map. I use the app sygic. It's free with free download of maps. Only uses data if looking up an address. Most times the next place your going to is pretty darn close to where you are so you don't need to type in the address. I have note 4 with a smart case so I just open the case and screen comes on and shows me where I am on the map. A quick glance is about all you need to find the next street. The app also shows the address numbers on the map so you know whether to turn left or right. Very helpful.

Delivery!!!

I also put the phone in power saving mode. Never have even come close to phone dying unless streaming Sirius to my Bluetooth speaker. But I only listen to music when running residentials on routes I already know.