What's working as a Preloader like?

A little background info:
I'm a college student that due to certain circumstances found himself with a whole semester off from school (basically I won't be going back till September). So in the meantime, I'm in desperate need of a job.

I worked as a Driver-Helper for UPS last December. Fast forward to this month, and I received a call asking if I would be interested in working as a preloader, to which I said yes. This Monday I should be receiving a call as to whether or not I should come in on Tuesday for an interview (the woman I spoke to mentioned that me coming in for an interview would be very likely). Also, I'm pretty sure the woman said it was a full-time position.

I read what I could find about the job, but unfortunately I couldn't find too much. What I gathered so far from what I could find:
- You need to be there insanely early in the morning (4am?)
- The work is pretty much non-stop physical-labor and the atmosphere is pretty frantic
- The pay doesn't quite match the work-load ($9.50?)
- They pretty much don't train you and just throw you out there

So far I'm pretty nervous about this job...I don't mind the physical labor aspect...while I'm not really in shape, I'm at least decently strong. What I'm worried about is that I'll been thrown out into this choatic situation with no idea what I'm doing (or that I'll just not pick up on the job and just flat out suck at it).

dillweed

Sounds like you've got a good understanding of what a new preloader goes through. We've all gone through it.

Many people come in who are not in the best of physical condition but they sure get that way after a month or two.

Don't worry about sucking at it because lots of us do. Meaning that management's job is to push us and they are good at it. If you don't have a tough shell you'll walk out of there daily feeling like crap. Just do the best you can, follow the methods, stay safe and you'll be fine.

Best of all is that you'll come out of this with a renewed determination to finish college. A taste of UPS labor will squash any ideas that there is easy money without schooling.

UPS is great part-time work for many in college. They get up, get the work done and have the rest of the day for school.

Dive in, give it a shot and if it's not your cup of tea, walk away. You're young and now is the time to experiment. Best of luck!

mgator39

Your certainly going to work hard. It is non-stop physical labor for four hours (I was part-time). It is also pretty overwhelming at first. But after awhile you get used to it. I know $9.50 isn't alot for the work that you will do but you could end up in the union where you will recieve benefits which are amazing here. You may end up enjoying the work and at your age you could put in 30 years and retire early

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Use this experience to enhance your work ethic but, above all, stay in school and then use your degree. My preloader just graduated from college but is looking to stay w/UPS rather than pursue a career in his degree field, as his degree is in an obscure field and he would have to relocate to NYC. I will agree that our compensation package is most certainly above average; in fact, I am with UPS because I earn more here than I would have had I pursued a career in my degree field. That being said, the lack of mental challenge, repetitive nature of the job and micromanaging do little to enhance me on a personal basis. However, I was able to put 2 kids through college and will have a comfortable retirement thanks to UPS/Teamsters so you have to decide what is important to you. If nothing else, you will certainly get in to better shape and get paid (not much at first) to do so.

Phil800101

Like dillweed said, you seem to have a pretty good grasp on it. One thing I can say is that it all depends upon where you work (I've worked at two different centers as a preloader so I can speak from experience). Some centers will have you go through classroom-type training for a day, and then have you work. Some centers will show you a video or two, have you take a quiz or two on the videos, and then throw you out there. Also, some centers will have someone help train you, most likely a supervisor, while others will pretty much throw you out there. You may be loading package cars, or they might just have you splitting a belt and/or acting as a floater to help people when they get slammed or whatever...if your center is lucky enough to have the people to spare. If it's a local center (not a hub), you might work in the primary, unloading trailers and/or sorting packages as they come off the trailers. Regardless, as it has been said it will be overwhelming at first, no matter what you are doing. This is especially true if they have you bouncing around from day to day, loading different routes. When/if you're put on your own package car(s), it will get a bit easier, because you'll probably become familiar with them and eventually figure out the best way to load them. Also, if your center has PAS, you'll probably have an easier time learning how to load package cars.

Good luck.

9/5Everyday

It's either like Groundhog Day, or waking up with a huge hangover every morning, you choose.

You get paid $8.00 an hour to work your butt off for 20 hours a week. If you are young, then yeah, but you really can't support a family on $150/ week.

The only reason any one of us stick it out is the chance to make $28/ hour.

farmerbrown

Use this experience to enhance your work ethic but, above all, stay in school and then use your degree. My preloader just graduated from college but is looking to stay w/UPS rather than pursue a career in his degree field, as his degree is in an obscure field and he would have to relocate to NYC. I will agree that our compensation package is most certainly above average; in fact, I am with UPS because I earn more here than I would have had I pursued a career in my degree field. That being said, the lack of mental challenge, repetitive nature of the job and micromanaging do little to enhance me on a personal basis. However, I was able to put 2 kids through college and will have a comfortable retirement thanks to UPS/Teamsters so you have to decide what is important to you. If nothing else, you will certainly get in to better shape and get paid (not much at first) to do so.
Listen to upstate as he is right. I too chose UPS over working in my degree field. I have to add that I make twice the $ and benefits almost as good as when I was in the Infantry (and no one shoots at me here). Read a book if you get mentally dull or, become a steward and get a lifetime study in human nature. If you burn for your degree field then the money should not be an issue for you and I advise against pursuing a career with Brown. It is really easy to spend those driver wages and very hard to leave once you get a taste for them. Good Luck Amigo!

DS

Fenderbender
Just show up every day and do what they tell you to do,
and you are a shoe-in~
My preloader sucks,he gives me stuff for other trucks(misloads)
he buries time commited packages,(late air)and he puts 70 lb boxes on the top shelves(ouch)But I still like him,he`s pushed to load 4 trucks in 5 hours,probobly 800 packages...every day I deliver under 200 and pick up under 200 and I'm dead tired every night .He lifts twice what I do as a driver every morning before I leave the building...its a weird job too,you will be loading some strange things,dont hurt yourself.If you need to get in shape its a great job,if youd rather use your brain,try home depot.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Sounds like you've got a good understanding of what a new preloader goes through. We've all gone through it.

Many people come in who are not in the best of physical condition but they sure get that way after a month or two.

Don't worry about sucking at it because lots of us do. Meaning that management's job is to push us and they are good at it. If you don't have a tough shell you'll walk out of there daily feeling like crap. Just do the best you can, follow the methods, stay safe and you'll be fine.

Best of all is that you'll come out of this with a renewed determination to finish college. A taste of UPS labor will squash any ideas that there is easy money without schooling.

Yes like dillweed said!!
Plus you are the first person a driver sees, right after leaving home and if he/she had a bad morning, and you give them a bad load, they will tell you.
When I was a part timer, we had comraderie and friendship, and 8/9 bucks an hour was alot. I actually loved going to work. getting paid to work out instead of paying to work out. I absolutely loved unloading trailers, no thinking, and great workout. Just dont eat cheerios, or anything with sugar before going in.:nono2: And apple, banana or an orange is good and lots of water, even in the cold.

HazMatMan

A little background info:
I'm a college student that due to certain circumstances found himself with a whole semester off from school (basically I won't be going back till September). So in the meantime, I'm in desperate need of a job.

I worked as a Driver-Helper for UPS last December. Fast forward to this month, and I received a call asking if I would be interested in working as a preloader, to which I said yes. This Monday I should be receiving a call as to whether or not I should come in on Tuesday for an interview (the woman I spoke to mentioned that me coming in for an interview would be very likely). Also, I'm pretty sure the woman said it was a full-time position.

I read what I could find about the job, but unfortunately I couldn't find too much. What I gathered so far from what I could find:
- You need to be there insanely early in the morning (4am?)
- The work is pretty much non-stop physical-labor and the atmosphere is pretty frantic
- The pay doesn't quite match the work-load ($9.50?)
- They pretty much don't train you and just throw you out there

So far I'm pretty nervous about this job...I don't mind the physical labor aspect...while I'm not really in shape, I'm at least decently strong. What I'm worried about is that I'll been thrown out into this choatic situation with no idea what I'm doing (or that I'll just not pick up on the job and just flat out suck at it).

I think you heard wrong about it being full-time.

Big Babooba

I think you heard wrong about it being full-time.
I know of only two full time preload shifts at UPS. Both are in Massachusetts. If there are any others, please let us know. Right now the full time preload pay rate is $28.29 / hr. It's a shame what the part timers are getting. They wonder why they can't keep good people.

Thanks everyone for the replies!

I had the interview a few days ago, turned out I couldn't work out of the building where the job was because my uncle works out of that building. The interviewer said that she could contact me when an opening comes up in another building...it gives me some time to think over what I want to do at least. And yeah, I was mistaken about it being full-time.

I think I'm gonna pass on it. Getting up at 3am to work like a maniac for barely above minimum wage just isn't worth it. Once I'm back school I can't see this job working out anyway. Thanks again though to everyone for the suggestions/info

W

westsideworma

Just show up every day and do what they tell you to do,
and you are a shoe-in~
My preloader sucks,he gives me stuff for other trucks(misloads)
he buries time commited packages,(late air)and he puts 70 lb boxes on the top shelves(ouch)But I still like him,he`s pushed to load 4 trucks in 5 hours,probobly 800 packages...every day I deliver under 200 and pick up under 200 and I'm dead tired every night .He lifts twice what I do as a driver every morning before I leave the building...its a weird job too,you will be loading some strange things,dont hurt yourself.If you need to get in shape its a great job,if youd rather use your brain,try home depot.

DS I would have loved to have that pull, mine was 4 cars 1200pcs or more everyday pretty much. I think thats the only reason people on my line listen to me now. They know that I too was forced to do the impossible everyday (still am! haha). I'm still here though, only the strong survive right?

IDoLessWorkThanMost

I know of only two full time preload shifts at UPS. Both are in Massachusetts. If there are any others, please let us know. Right now the full time preload pay rate is $28.29 / hr. It's a shame what the part timers are getting. They wonder why they can't keep good people.

Watertown's one, where's the other?