Whats wrong with peoples logic

Get me a steward

So about a year ago my grandma was hospitalized because of a mimor infection that she had, she walked in feeling fine just knew that she was a little sick. On the second night of her stay in the hospital two nurses enduced a severe seizure on her by accidently giving her 10x her dose of insulin for her diabetes. She was able tp return 2 days later on hospice then died 3 days later. Today the judge dismissed the case, saying that the seizure was not "directly" responsible for her death. Is that not the most bull:censored2: story youve ever heard? Anyone else have any bad malpractice stories?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Get me a steward

Grandma was 58. Still young as ever. Doctors ordered 10 mg. Nurse gave her 100mg. And another nurse double checked the nurses work before she administered it and signed it off. Causes a severe 15 minute long seizure. Then told us the next day that "the good news is there no brain damage and shes okay" come to find out they completely lied about that. labs came back and showed brain damage prior to death.

Sent using BrownCafe App

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
I'm sorry for your loss @jacobram. Unfortunately medical mistakes kill a lot of people.

How Many Die From Medical Mistakes In U.S. Hospitals? - NPR

In 2010, the Office of Inspector General for the Department of Health and Human Services said that bad hospital care contributed to the deaths of 180,000 patients in Medicare alone in a given year.

Now comes a study in the Journal of Patient Safety that says the numbers may be much higher — 210,000 and 440,000 patients between each year who go to the hospital for care suffer some type of preventable harm that contributes to their death.

That would make medical errors the third leading cause of death, behind heart disease, which is the first, and cancer, which is second.

ChickenLegs

Safety Expert
I'm sorry for your loss @jacobram. Unfortunately medical mistakes kill a lot of people.

How Many Die From Medical Mistakes In U.S. Hospitals? - NPR

In 2010, the Office of Inspector General for the Department of Health and Human Services said that bad hospital care contributed to the deaths of 180,000 patients in Medicare alone in a given year.

Now comes a study in the Journal of Patient Safety that says the numbers may be much higher — 210,000 and 440,000 patients between each year who go to the hospital for care suffer some type of preventable harm that contributes to their death.

That would make medical errors the third leading cause of death, behind heart disease, which is the first, and cancer, which is second.
That is an alarming number. Conspiracy maybe.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
Hospitals make mistakes all the time, its just that the patient and families are unaware of them. My wife used to work in the ER and lab a long time ago and saw it firsthand. They gave my dad the wrong type of blood while he was on his deathbed. My wife noticed it as soon as she walked in to his room. He had terminal cancer and was bleeding to death internally at the time, the outcome was going to be the same no matter what. I'm not surprised that medical errors cause so many deaths, especially the way that they work with smaller staffs these days.