Where would you live if you could?

Pkgrunner

Till I Collapse
I've gotcha on this, just hate waiting for that day and finding out I owe them. Doesn't it work out the same way, the way I'm doing it, I mean besides letting them get away with the interest? We have a terrible time trying to save money and we usually use the big payday to get or go somewhere we like.
Depends on preferences, but I personally like to pay myself via 401k deductions than give it to Uncle Sam to hold. My take home stays the same, but what I pay in taxes is less now; and will be later when I start withdrawing and am taxed at a lower tax bracket....That is assuming my 401k will be worth at least as much as the computer memory its stored on.

rod

Retired 22 years
Depends on preferences, but I personally like to pay myself via 401k deductions than give it to Uncle Sam to hold. My take home stays the same, but what I pay in taxes is less now; and will be later when I start withdrawing and am taxed at a lower tax bracket....That is assuming my 401k will be worth at least as much as the computer memory its stored on.

I think the 401k's are now refered to as the 201k's. :peaceful:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I heard or read somewhere that unless you are Australian or married to one, you can't live in Australia. Is that true?
My husband has a long time friend that lives in Australia. Yes it is very difficult to live there. He had to get a sponser to even stay there. Had to have a guaranteed job, pay 50% taxes for like the first 5 years. It was crazy, some of the things he was telling us just to live there.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
My criteria for a place that I want to live.............

No snow (or less than 1 inch per year)
Nearest neighbor no closer than 1 mile away

stevetheupsguy

sʇǝʌǝʇɥǝndsƃnʎ
My husband has a long time friend that lives in Australia. Yes it is very difficult to live there. He had to get a sponser to even stay there. Had to have a guaranteed job, pay 50% taxes for like the first 5 years. It was crazy, some of the things he was telling us just to live there.

Does that go for visiting as well? Hey, my daughter is looking over my shoulder as I read posts. She sees your avatar and name and I keep hearing hear say DILLIGAF, DILLIGAF, doesn't this make me so proud that she enjoys reading? LOL

I'm glad she doesn't know what it really means.:surprised:

Sounds like you wanna live on Gilligans Island, dilli.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Does that go for visiting as well? Hey, my daughter is looking over my shoulder as I read posts. She sees your avatar and name and I keep hearing hear say DILLIGAF, DILLIGAF, doesn't this make me so proud that she enjoys reading? LOL

I'm glad she doesn't know what it really means.:surprised:

Sounds like you wanna live on Gilligans Island, dilli.
That's funny, Steve. Maybe she will grow to enjoy motorcycles as much as I do.:wink2:

Gilligan's Island...............hmmmm. Have to contemplate that one. LOL

over9five

Staff member
My criteria for a place that I want to live.............

No snow (or less than 1 inch per year)
Nearest neighbor no closer than 1 mile away

I like that neighbor part. I have 5 acres in the middle of a forest. I do have neighbors within a mile, but I can walk the perimeter of my land and not see any houses.

I'm beginning to see the advantages of the "no snow" part too....
I'm starting to hate the cold.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I like that neighbor part. I have 5 acres in the middle of a forest. I do have neighbors within a mile, but I can walk the perimeter of my land and not see any houses.

I'm beginning to see the advantages of the "no snow" part too....
I'm starting to hate the cold.
Move on out here. You can live within an hour of snow if you want a reminder of what you are missing. LOL

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I'd love to come to Mass........................during the summer when there is NO snow. :happy-very:

Massachusetts is actually a beautiful state, whether you go to the Berkshires, Cape Cod, or Boston. If you do go to Boston, DON'T DRIVE--pahk the cah and ride the T. You and your significant other would have a great time if you spent a 3 day weekend in Mass.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Massachusetts is actually a beautiful state, whether you go to the Berkshires, Cape Cod, or Boston. If you do go to Boston, DON'T DRIVE--pahk the cah and ride the T. You and your significant other would have a great time if you spent a 3 day weekend in Mass.
I've actually been to Boston a few times. Unfortunately, everytime I've been there was with a tractor/53ft reefer delivering to some of the produce warehouses/grocery stores. :sick: Didn't get to see much.............well except the one time I got into a bad situation. Got turned around somewhere and ended up going down a one way street and had to make a left turn at the end of that street and then another left turn onto another one way street. It was like a giant u-turn. Wasn't real sure I was getting outta the with doing any damage but I did. The one thing I remember is thinking, when I got out of there, was "get me on a friend...... 4 lane". LOL And then there are the round abouts. OMG

Actually it is very pretty back there. You'll call those mountains out there. Those aren't mountains. Those are hills. We have mountains out here. No wonder ya'll don't run jakes back east. :happy-very:

Well, short of winning the "Redneck Retirement", I will end up right here in the same county that I was born in. Actually I have traveled to many places and I have never been anywhere I thought I would like live other than right here.

In the spirit of the thread, "Where would you live if you could?", I would still live here with a winter retreat in Florida, Arizona or maybe (barely maybe) southern Cal. I would like to spend at least some of the cold months on a beach somewhere. I would like to visit some of the places that have been mentioned, but not live there. I do enjoy the cruises.

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
Here! I was born and raised in Steeler Country (yea!) and spent lots of years walking to school in the cold and snowy weather. If I start missing snow I schedule a winter vacation. I give much respect to all the BCers who work in the cold elements all winter. Me? I'll take sunny, South Florida. By the way, the weather was great at the Super Bowl yesterday. Kudos to the Cardinals for a great game. My voice still hasn't recovered. I had to call in sick this morning using morse code.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Somewhere much warmer, I would never miss the snow. EVER.
I like Texas, what I have seen of it, but those parts get snow....
Maybe Tennessee, Arkansas. Just no Below zero, no 2 ft of snow, and 3 months of each season. Her we have winter, and almost winter it seems.:greedy: