While unloading this morning, I heard the 10 step top out is now a 12 step top out

dex 84

How so, if a Step 5 Courier becomes a Swing, they are at step 5 as a swing(on the swing chart)
I know a 13yr swing(wasn't swing the whole time) but is step 4 and there are 2yr swings behind her at step 3, kinda a huge slap in the face. We've lost 3 Swings this year(left the company) and probably 8 regular couriers(many with 10+ years) mostly for greener pasture$

They added the swing differential into the base pay to figure out what step you were on. That put me step 3. 2 years later I'm step 5.

SmithBarney

They added the swing differential into the base pay to figure out what step you were on. That put me step 3. 2 years later I'm step 5.

Swings pay uses a completely different Step Chart than Regular Couriers.
Not sure what you are trying to say. a Swing making $X, was put into the chart whereever they fit. a regular crr the same. Now a Regular Courier at step 5, if they were to change to being a swing, they would be step 5 on the swing chart.

dex 84

Swings pay uses a completely different Step Chart than Regular Couriers.
Not sure what you are trying to say. a Swing making $X, was put into the chart whereever they fit. a regular crr the same. Now a Regular Courier at step 5, if they were to change to being a swing, they would be step 5 on the swing chart.

No. Back when the steps were established swings used to get a higher rate than regular couriers, plus a 30 cent swing differential. We would get a raise on our rate of pay but the 30 cent differential would remain constant. Then, when they established the step system, they rounded everyone up to whatever the next step was above their current pay. Lucky for me and many others, they added in the 30 cent differential to figure out our steps, which for many of us, myself included, resulted in being one step higher than couriers hired at the same time as us who were not swings.

Hope that clears it up.

SmithBarney

No. Back when the steps were established swings used to get a higher rate than regular couriers, plus a 30 cent swing differential. We would get a raise on our rate of pay but the 30 cent differential would remain constant. Then, when they established the step system, they rounded everyone up to whatever the next step was above their current pay. Lucky for me and many others, they added in the 30 cent differential to figure out our steps, which for many of us, myself included, resulted in being one step higher than couriers hired at the same time as us who were not swings.

Hope that clears it up.

Oh I get what you mean now.

Preventable

Hope that clears it up.

Were you in the A market level? I remember when they put steps in they merged a lot of the markets including the lowest one-- B and A. I was a swing as well and I got put in step 1, which I didn't really bitch about because it was still a dollar raise. We were kind of doing the math though and figured out if you were a swing in market level A you probably got put slightly above step 1... so you jumped to step 2. So theoretically you could have moved to our station and been on step 2 despite being newer. Thats ancient history though and who really cares, also from what I understand the lower market level/pay you are the better off you are. Yeah maybe the guys in the highest market are making 20% more but its a hell of a lot more than 20% more expensive there.

dex 84

Were you in the A market level? I remember when they put steps in they merged a lot of the markets including the lowest one-- B and A. I was a swing as well and I got put in step 1, which I didn't really bitch about because it was still a dollar raise. We were kind of doing the math though and figured out if you were a swing in market level A you probably got put slightly above step 1... so you jumped to step 2. So theoretically you could have moved to our station and been on step 2 despite being newer. Thats ancient history though and who really cares, also from what I understand the lower market level/pay you are the better off you are. Yeah maybe the guys in the highest market are making 20% more but its a hell of a lot more than 20% more expensive there.

I'm not sure what market level we are but we're less than all the other stations around here and our cost of living is not less. They don't base market level off of cost of living, they base it off of what other opportunities are available in the area. That's why cities are higher than less developed areas...

Bingo

I agree -Live in a mid size area in Florida - Level B Step 1 is 17.10 - The local Police start out at 16.00 per hour and many county jobs start out 11-12 dollars an hour