Who does preload & when? On Topic

ThatOnePreloader

Unprofessional Professional
Even if the contract doesn't pass, 7 day a week deliveries are coming - either now or eventually. I'm just trying to figure out who's going to do preload on weekends. I'm a full time student and do another part time job on weekends so I have 0 time to run more than my regular M-friend at UPS. Are they going to hire preloaders who specifically load weekends? Wed.-Sun.? Hybrid drivers load their own trucks? Are they just going to use current preloaders who just elect to work OT 7 days a week?

Blackstream

My hub already has preload running on saturday. I believe they mostly hired people to work tues-sat, plus got some volunteers to switch. I think they were able to force people over in seniority order too because there were some part time responders they were trying to tell they had to switch so they had responders on saturday, and they just decertified themselves instead. Either way, it was a very bumpy start for awhile. There was also a lot of supervisors having to work 6 days a week for awhile, not sure if that changed or not, especially with regards to the full time sups.

ThatOnePreloader

Unprofessional Professional
My hub already has preload running on saturday. I believe they mostly hired people to work tues-sat, plus got some volunteers to switch. I think they were able to force people over in seniority order too because there were some part time responders they were trying to tell they had to switch so they had responders on saturday, and they just decertified themselves instead. Either way, it was a very bumpy start for awhile. There was also a lot of supervisors having to work 6 days a week for awhile, not sure if that changed or not, especially with regards to the full time sups.
Yeah I imagine switching to a 7 day a week system is going to be really tough on the inside guys like myself. I’m at a 4 belt center and we run about 60 routes, so I feel like it’ll be even harder for us to find people to fill those spots.

Rack em

Made the Podium
Yeah I imagine switching to a 7 day a week system is going to be really tough on the inside guys like myself. I’m at a 4 belt center and we run about 60 routes, so I feel like it’ll be even harder for us to find people to fill those spots.
4 belts for 60 routes? We only have one belt and do up to 30 routes on any given day...

retiredTxfeeder

cap'n crunch
You have no idea how nice it is to load your own truck. I know where the package is...every time. No misloads, and I catch every bad address correction before it enters my truck.
At least you can't complain about the stop count being inaccurate. When I started in '76, we had a sort and load center as well. UPS figured out pretty quick that whatever time the drivers spent to load their own PC's (usually 1.5-2 hrs daily) came right off the top as OT.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
Kinda, I still use the pals but dont bother having them visible on the shelf. The 25+ year vet next to me doesn't bother with them, loads his truck stop to stop and doesnt look at his diad except to scan his packages.
Old timer got me to do this to his load since day one. Write address # on buisnesses anf bulk. Add the hin in big bold too if the piece is loaded in an alternate location. The system works best for a bunch of 1-3 piece residential houses that you want to simply play tetris with but it breaks down easily when they get mixed with buisness stops.

BothSidesSally

Why can't we all just get along?
Even if the contract doesn't pass, 7 day a week deliveries are coming - either now or eventually. I'm just trying to figure out who's going to do preload on weekends. I'm a full time student and do another part time job on weekends so I have 0 time to run more than my regular M-friend at UPS. Are they going to hire preloaders who specifically load weekends? Wed.-Sun.? Hybrid drivers load their own trucks? Are they just going to use current preloaders who just elect to work OT 7 days a week?
Driver sort and loads on the weekends, with a couple of pt unloaders and Spas. Weekend drivers will have a great gig.