Who Is Serious About Unionizing?

DontThrowPackages

Even if I thought the United Way was the greatest charity in the world (which I don't), I still wouldn't contribute a dime to them - simply because FedEx wants me to for the sole purpose of continuing their spurious image as this wonderful, people-loving company. Fred and Co. are about as charitable as a den full of cobras.
We don't give as our salaries have not kept up with inflation. That 52 dollars a year is better served in my pocket. Even if you do want to give, do it on your own and get the tax right off yourself and not someone else writing off, for their ledger, on your dime

Ricochet1a

Well, you wanted to look for that 'third option', here's your homework....

This is going to be a rehash of what I did 1-2 years ago....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_unions_affiliated_with_the_AFL-CIO

Currently affiliated unions

This is a list of AFL-CIO affiliated member unions:
ATU would be a long shot for Express. They specialize in 'transit' workers (bus drivers, light rail operators, etc.)

Amalgamated Transit Union | AFL-CIO/CLC | Freedom Through Organization

The IAM has some potential, but again, their specialty is geared more to mechanics and 'airlines'. Express aircraft mechanics and Ramp Agents would be potential candidates for this union. This union is one of the largest that are 'potential' candidates, but they only have about 600,000 members (the IBT has about double that, at 1.3 million members - translates into RESOURCES).

Labor Union for the 21st Century: GOIAM

The TWU is another union that has experience in organizing airline labor - so they have experience with the RLA.

Transport Workers Union Home

CJinx

Nothing against United Way, but one of my previous senior managers once "voluntold" us to fill out a donation form for that organization. Then he ordered everyone to buy crap from his son's sporting fundraiser while in the same week telling a contractor that they could not sell girl scout cookies in the terminal. Now I no longer donate monetarily to any organization. If I feel charitable, I donate time instead of money.

Ricochet1a

Only the 4 I indicated would have ANY remote interest in Express Couriers. All the rest have different specialties. The Ramp Agents and Mechanics WOULD have real potential options with one of these 4 unions I expanded upon.

I know what response you (who would choose to do the inquires) would receive, but you want to spend time looking for that 'third option', here's the short list.

All of these unions are AFL-CIO (which the IBT ISN'T under currently), so they would be a bit more willing to enter into 'territory' that is considered IBT turf. NONE of the few other CTW affiliated unions (those aren't listed above) would even think of stepping on IBT turf, so that automatically rules them out.

I know the complaining (bitching and moaning) has increased a bit of late, but that's not going to do a damn thing to change your situation. Being in Express is a 'raw deal', no other way to put it. Those that can, should get out as soon as they are able, it is the best move.

For those of you unwilling or unable to get out, you really need to make a decision. Are you going to go to the effort to attempt to organize with all the obstacles you face, or are you just going to keep on getting on here and engage in the endless circles of complaining without doing anything about it?

Unlike the Ground drivers, you do have the ability to organize - it would be an uphill task, but you do have that option should enough of you decide that you've had enough and want to return the job of Courier into something that can be called a career again. It's up to you. Sitting on the proverbial fence won't do a damn thing; if you are reading this, then YOU have responsibility to take action to do something about your situation. Attempting to wash your hands of any responsibility to do something about your situation (should you choose to leave or stay in Express), is just an exercise in denial.

The public-at-large doesn't give a damn about your 'plight'.

US Average Hourly Earnings

$23.82 is the 'average' US wage as of this posting. You may think to yourself, "I don't make quite that"... In any "PR campaign", Express would use the top-out wage of Couriers to illustrate that they pay what is considered an 'average' US wage. You know that is 'statistical bunk' - the public will eat it up. FedEx is one of the most 'admired' companies out there. Who in the hell is going to be motivated to do something for the 'poor Couriers of Express' when they work for an admired company and are paid 'average' US wages? Short answer, maybe your mom, that's about it... The others would come back, "If the Express Couriers have a problem, they should unionize; I heard UPS is unionized and they don't complain about what they are being paid". And the 'others' would be absolutely right. You DON'T have the ability to play the 'victim card', everyone out there is taking care of their own problems, don't expect them to do anything about yours - just how it works.

You are seeing the reorganization unfold before your eyes each day you go to work. There isn't going to be some 'grand meeting', where a MD gets in front of you and spells out the reorganization with a flow chart - won't happen. They don't want to cause any 'undue alarm' among all those frogs in the kettle of rapidly heating water. Express is and will move slowly, deliberately and with purpose to reorganize Express into an operating company which has the same profit margins as the better performing FedEx Corporation companies.

Express is already dumping the salaried bloat in Memphis like I said they could and would do almost 3 years ago. The station vehicle fleet is slowly being converted from the 'standard' 700 cu. ft. vehicles to smaller Sprinter type vehicle with just over half the cargo capacity of the older vehicles. DRA is being run out in stations across the nations, which when perfected, will render the need for an experienced Courier as being unnecessary. Hirings of part-time Couriers are standard, getting replacements for full-time Couriers who leave is an exercise in administrative gymnastics. Customers get shipping quotes that have Express and Ground service as a unified option - and they are choosing Ground more and more often...

It's all before your eyes - you just need to recognize it as such and make a decision as to what you are going to do...

Leave, Bendover or Organize.

It is your choice, it is your life, it will be your retirement.

Choose wisely....

STFXG

Where in the law is a statute requiring equal access to organizations on private property?

I'm not arguing if its true or not I just haven't heard that before.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Where in the law is a statute requiring equal access to organizations on private property?

I'm not arguing if its true or not I just haven't heard that before.

My point is that FedEx rigidly controls access to it's facilities. mainly to keep unions out. My station won't let anyone inside the facility other than FedEx employees. Senior openly admits it is to keep unions from claiming they can't access employees. If you keep everyone out, nobody can claim they're being treated differently.

STFXG

That makes sense under the nlra discrimination clause. Not sure how it translates to the rla though. I can see why fedex wouldn't want to give any wiggle room. Good point.

InsideUPS

I really need to determine who is willing to take action, and who is just talking about it. I need to decide whether or not to take the next step up, and I want to know how many people are willing to start taking some risks. That means lurkers and fence-sitters need to decide if they want to be Fred's slaves or actually do something about the abuse. PM me, or indicate your interest on this forum.

DO NOT IDENTIFY YOURSELF, and do not reveal your location except in the most general terms as in "East Coast", "West Coast". etc. It's very clear that the IBT is going to do nothing until we turn-in enough signed cards to make them take notice.

Make a decision. Are you going to be Fred's bitch forever, or are you going to do something about it?

Greetings MrFedEx.. Congratulations for having the courage and fortitude to approach your co-workers about joining a Union. I'm a 34+ year employee of UPS and have seen a variety of management personalities and Union issues. I personally could not imagine how UPS would be without a Union. From my limited knowledge of FedEx, it is my understanding that employee/management relations are better at FedEx (Express) than they generally are at UPS. I also hear that the amount of work per driver is also less at FedEx. If you visit the UPS forums you will see that overtime and harassment are major issues in this years contract.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Greetings MrFedEx.. Congratulations for having the courage and fortitude to approach your co-workers about joining a Union. I'm a 34+ year employee of UPS and have seen a variety of management personalities and Union issues. I personally could not imagine how UPS would be without a Union. From my limited knowledge of FedEx, it is my understanding that employee/management relations are better at FedEx (Express) than they generally are at UPS. I also hear that the amount of work per driver is also less at FedEx. If you visit the UPS forums you will see that overtime and harassment are major issues in this years contract.

Thanks for the kind words, but the unionizing effort isn't going so well as of late. R1a is the real driving force for a union here...I'm just his wingman.

Employee/management relations at FedEx are very one-sided. Management knows they hold all the cards and power, and act accordingly. We have no legitimate grievance process, and management successfully intimidates and eliminates employees fairly easily.

We move fewer packages, but cover much wider areas than a UPS driver. For example, I have 3 UPS package cars within my route boundaries. We also deal with on-call pickups vs. house stops, meaning that a customer can call-in rightup to the cutoff time and still get a pickup the same day. This makes for some "interesting" route planning.

Most of us have seen our OT disappear as FedEx moves to a part-timer based business model, but that doesn't limit the harassment.

Ricochet1a

Well, you wanted to see what a grassroots drive would 'look like', so I typed up this HIGHLY hypothetical narrative of how things would unfold. The emphasis is on TIMING. The Express Couriers don't have a lot of time, so the rapidity of movement illustrated in this hypothetical narrative is what is needed.

Month 1:

An informal network (“Grassroots Underground”) is established among various posters to the Brown Café forum. This network has Express Couriers working to distribute representation cards in their stations, among their coworkers. In addition, these Couriers work to establish a network of likeminded Couriers in stations in adjoining areas to their own station. The network is facilitated by a private forum which has leaders who keep track of which stations have organizers working in them, along with which stations do not. Numbers of representation cards that have been distributed are kept track of by the network leaders (and publicly disclosed), but the numbers distributed in SPECIFIC stations are kept strictly secret (not even communicated to other station level organizers), to prevent the FedEx union avoidance team from having information as to where to focus their activities.

At this point, FedEx Express is unaware of anything happening out of the norm.

Month 2:

Station managers begin to report to their Seniors and then District Managers that union representation cards are showing up in stations, with no real ability to positively identify those who are distributing them. About half of Couriers are reported as being sympathetic to signing and sending them in – some even signing the cards in the presence of management. Word gets sent to Memphis, directives to monitor and discourage signing of representation cards is given back – all to be done in accordance with previously held union avoidance training given to managers.

Lobbyist in the pay of FedEx report back that their contacts in D.C. deny that the IBT is taking any action with regards to organizing Express. This is purely a grassroots attempt to organize. Less than 20% of stations have reported any union activity at this point, so Express executive management is thinking this is nothing to get unduly alarmed about.

Month 3:

Increasing reports of union activity are pouring into Memphis. At this point, fully one-half of Express stations have reports of union representation cards showing up. No reports of confrontation between wage employees and management have come in, but at this point, Express is worried that they have a problem on their hands. Express PR has reported that the “Underground” is claiming to have distributed cards to 10,000 Couriers at this time – still no reports on how many of those cards have actually been signed and returned to the IBT.

A privately funded, public information website geared towards encouraging Express Couriers to sign and send in IBT representation cards shows up. This site ISN’T funded or sponsored by the IBT – nor does it use any form of advertising. Information about this site is rapidly disseminated among Express Couriers who read the content and are convinced that there is no other way to reverse the trend in their career ‘progression’, other than to organize.

Express begins to hold ‘captive meetings’, where Couriers are held 20-30 minutes a day for meetings which present the Express view of unions and how that would “destroy the working relationship between its employees and management”. Station management report back that the overwhelming majority of Couriers are silent during the meetings and won’t engage management in the pre-scripted presentation which is designed to convince Couriers that Express is truly looking out for their best interest.

Outright misinformation is begun to be presented regarding the IBT, its history and operating patterns, attempting to present the IBT as being an even worse option for the Couriers.
Lobbyists begin reporting that something is indeed happening; the IBT is getting large numbers of representation cards sent in by Express Couriers (reported though the D.C. ‘grapevine’ of lobbyists). No numbers reported as to how many of these cards exist at this point (this is a closely guarded secret by the IBT). Express fully mobilizes its “Union Avoidance Team” and has it go out to stations that have had the greatest incidents of reported ‘pro-union’ activity to begin their work.

Month 4:

The organizing activity taking place within Express is now making national level news. Reports from Express station management have fully two-thirds of stations with some level of detected union activity. Most concerning to Express management, virtually ALL of the large, major metropolitan stations has indication of union activity. The percentage of Couriers who have been ‘exposed’ to union representation cards is estimated at being 80% at this stage by Memphis management. Express knows it has a full blown crisis at this state.

Lobbyists report that the IBT is now beginning to take an active role in the organization effort. Professional IBT organizers are working with and in some cases taking over from the amateur efforts done by the ‘Grassroots’ movement. IBT Literature is beginning to show up in stations and stations that were previously hit by card distributing activity are experiencing another round of cards showing up along with professionally produced literature to go with them. No information is obtained by FedEx lobbyists in regards to the IBT’s plans to petition for a certification election at any time in the future.

Express decides to take a two pronged approach to union avoidance at this stage. Publicly, Express denies there is any real organization drive occurring. The IBT hasn’t made a public statement, so there ‘can’t be’ any drive occurring. Large volume customers are getting worried that their shipments might get caught up in an ‘Express labor conflict’, so they want assurances that no disruptions will take place. FedEx sales begins to hold confidential meetings with these large volume shippers that ‘no disruption will take place’ and will offer addendums to the existing contracts guaranteeing service should any labor dispute escalate.

Internally, Express is in full crisis mode. The union avoidance team has been given ‘carte blanche’ to take whatever measures they deem necessary to stamp out the organizing activity. Couriers suspected of being in leadership positions within the drive are subjected to intense scrutiny on the job, disciplined for the slightest infraction and particularly charismatic organizers are to be offered ‘buyouts’ to leave Express and halt any organizing activity. Any Courier which makes an open statement in favor of organizing is to be disciplined with whatever means available – even if that means the outright fabrication of an incident in order to induce silence of that employee and to send a message to the rest.

Month 5:

The Underground Network is reporting that it has distributed representation cards to fully 22,000 Couriers. Many more Couriers have viewed the privately funded informational website and have sent in signed cards without disclosing the fact to anyone. The Network is working to get yet another round of literature distributed in stations in which there has been at least one round of distribution.

Express management comes out and announces that there will be a 6% across the board pay raise to wage employees in October 2013. There is no ‘linkage’ between this pay raise announcement and requirements for Couriers to halt organizing efforts (clearly illegal). Some Couriers think they have ‘won the fight’ and wane in their support of a union. Others recognize this move by Express is one of desperation and vow to push on to get the IBT to petition for an election as soon as they have the required number of cards in.

Express begins making confidential plans to ward off a potential strike. Operational plans on the hiring of temporary replacement Couriers, the luring of Ground drivers (who are already familiar with FedEx operating methods) and methods of getting potential strikers to cross a picket line are drawn up. Engineering is given directives to go ‘all out’ to get DRA operational in the major metropolitan areas, to enable replacement Couriers to get volume off while maintaining service. Engineering reports back that they will need till the end of 2014 to get an absolute majority of routes operating under DRA with some level of efficiency and reliability.

District Managers are given briefings on how operations will be conducted in the event of a strike and begin to coordinate with station management in methods to ensure service can be maintained in the event of a strike. Feedback from District Managers isn’t favorable: most areas of the northeast, west coast and upper Midwest report that maintaining any level of operation in the face of a strike will be impossible. Plans are drawn up to maintain service with large volume shippers while ‘handing off’ small volume shippers to Ground. The plans to shift delivery of ‘deferred volume’ over to Ground are brushed up, and the upper management in Ground is notified to be prepared to accept this volume directly from Express ramps and be able to get it off by Express commitment times. Ground contractors are given ‘vague’ notification about potential spikes in volume and told to be prepared for, “an exceptionally heavy Christmas season”.

Express begins to publically advertise for temporary Courier positions. This is done to both cover themselves in the event of successful organization and eventual strike, AND to dissuade existing Couriers from even voting to strike should they organize.

Month 6:

The IBT makes a public announcement that it is indeed working at organizing Express. No word is given as to the number of signed representation cards sent in, but the IBT does admit to ‘considerable numbers’ have been returned.

The Underground Network is still working to get representation cards distributed in the smaller stations that are distant from major metropolitan areas. The IBT is focusing on getting handbills distributed in areas that are traditionally ‘union friendly’ and in areas which the Network has indicated there have been no station level organizers present.

Express has gone into full crisis management mode with the announcement by the IBT that it is attempting to organize Express. Large and small customers are inundating sales with calls over concerns that their shipments would get ‘hung up’ in any potential labor strife. FedEx Sales makes further assurances that the RLA prevents labor strife from interfering in operations and that court action would be sought to prevent any sort of ‘illegal labor action’.

UPS has grabbed the opportunity to start taking shippers away from Express, offering them no discount on their pricing, BUT offering to ensure smooth flow of their volume should Express strike. FedEx rapidly learns of this move and the crisis intensifies in Memphis. FedEx stock begins to drop in value and market analysts predict some form of ‘labor action’ in Express before the end of the year. With the Christmas season rapidly approaching, fears of a strike at Express have FedEx management hitting the airwaves attempting to calm the speculation and assure both investors and customers that there will be no disruption.

Month 7:

The IBT has still to petition for a certification vote, but it is making ‘strongly worded statements’ to the press that it already has enough signed representation cards to successfully petition for a vote should it do so.

The Network has completely handed off activity to professional IBT organizers. Only about 10% of stations at this point have not had any union activity occur within them – and these stations are the smaller, rural stations (Feeder Stations) which have proportionally fewer Couriers in them.

FedEx management has decided that it is a foregone conclusion that the IBT will be successful in organizing. The 6% pay raise announced 2 months ago isn’t having the desired effect on organizing activity. Stock price has dropped to $90 a share and is predicted to go to $60 a share should the IBT successfully organize Express Couriers. Reports are coming in that the ‘RTs’ are seeing union activity in them, with reports that drivers are distributing representation cards amongst themselves.

Month 8:

The IBT announces that is has enough signed union representation cards from Express Couriers to successfully petition the NLRB for a certification election and win that election. It publically encourages Express Couriers that have not signed and returned union representation cards, to do so. However, it does not actually petition for a vote at this point.

Express comes out to its employees at this stage and clearly threatens their jobs should organization take place. Since there is no established legal protection at this stage, Express figures it can get away with just about anything since it has nothing to lose at this stage.

Given the ‘double edged’ nature of the RLA – Express cannot stage a lockout; it has an obligation under the RLA to maintain flow of commerce. The training of replacement Couriers is well underway, but many of the applicants cannot pass the background, credit, criminal history, or drug screening checks. The cost to get a single replacement Courier has risen to $5,000 (total cost of program divided by number of successfully trained replacement Couriers). These replacement Couriers are trained SOLELY on DRA methods, they are not trained on ‘traditional’ sort or routing methods.

In recognition that DRA cannot currently (late 2013) handle the multiple time commits of both Priority and Standard Overnight service, an operational plan of suspending Priority Overnight service is made. Deferred volume will be shifted over to Ground in the event of a strike, and overnight service will be strictly limited to Standard Overnight. First Overnight service will be maintained for shippers who absolutely must have shipments early in the day. Engineering is given directives to do whatever it takes to enable ‘straight line’ routing of what will be just Standard Overnight volume using DRA software.

Month 9:

The IBT petitions the NLRB for a certification election of Express Couriers. The IBT claims that it has 17,500 signed representation cards from Express Couriers. FedEx goes all out to fight the approval of the election, claiming many of the cards are forged, signed under false pretenses or illegible. Christmas is weeks away, and Express cannot have customers shift their volume to UPS right now. Express stock falls to $55 a share and market analysts predict that Express will be forced to recognize an IBT union within a couple of months.

After a contentious hearing, the NLRB proceeds with the process of verification of the signed representation cards. Express fights at every step of the way, making claim after claim that the cards don’t meet legal muster. After a month long process, the NLRB approves the petition for a certification election.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Great post. Nothing is ever going to happen if we collectively sit on our hands. As I have said many tiimes before, FedEx has done a masterful job of creating a Fear Machine concerning unionization. It looks powerful and evil, but it's really an empty shell that is propped-up by the RLA and some powerful PR.

The bottom line is that the new DRA-based Express business model is eventually going to happen. Yes, it's a complete cluster now, but they have too much riding on this to not get it functional. Eventually, Express will be an overwhelmingly PT company, with nothing on the table for career employees but fewer hours and more takeaways.

If you want a decent future at FedEx, your only choice is to organize and force Smith to cough-up a better deal.

Broke

I've always been serious about organizing. We actually had a meeting with teamster organizers about 3 years ago. Over half our station showed up and signed cards but the FAA Reaithorization Act never passed with the express carrier protection language. I think there are so many disgruntled express employees, it's possible to organize under the RLA

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

I talked to the UPS guy on my route today, asked him to have his steward call me because we are tired of being ignored by the IBT. He told me he was surprised by the fact that I was asking for help (he knows that we have a tendency to 'disappear' after showing union sympathy) and even more surprised by the fact that we were being outright ignored by the union. When I told him that we didn't get raises this year he nearly pooped himself...

IsItME

Seriously MFE, 8,495 posts calling Fred S every name in the book sounds like a vendetta, LOL!
In all fairness, he's roasted that stuffed pig at 450 degrees for years now and he's rarely missed his target. It's against the guy's belief system to take some worthless pig's $H!+ because of a paycheck. I get it. I take nothing from any of them-other than my buyout.

IsItME

Well, you wanted to see what a grassroots drive would 'look like', so I typed up this HIGHLY hypothetical narrative of how things would unfold. The emphasis is on TIMING. The Express Couriers don't have a lot of time, so the rapidity of movement illustrated in this hypothetical narrative is what is needed.

Month 1:

An informal network (“Grassroots Underground”) is established among various posters to the Brown Café forum. This network has Express Couriers working to distribute representation cards in their stations, among their coworkers. In addition, these Couriers work to establish a network of likeminded Couriers in stations in adjoining areas to their own station. The network is facilitated by a private forum which has leaders who keep track of which stations have organizers working in them, along with which stations do not. Numbers of representation cards that have been distributed are kept track of by the network leaders (and publicly disclosed), but the numbers distributed in SPECIFIC stations are kept strictly secret (not even communicated to other station level organizers), to prevent the FedEx union avoidance team from having information as to where to focus their activities.

At this point, FedEx Express is unaware of anything happening out of the norm.

Month 2:

Station managers begin to report to their Seniors and then District Managers that union representation cards are showing up in stations, with no real ability to positively identify those who are distributing them. About half of Couriers are reported as being sympathetic to signing and sending them in – some even signing the cards in the presence of management. Word gets sent to Memphis, directives to monitor and discourage signing of representation cards is given back – all to be done in accordance with previously held union avoidance training given to managers.

Lobbyist in the pay of FedEx report back that their contacts in D.C. deny that the IBT is taking any action with regards to organizing Express. This is purely a grassroots attempt to organize. Less than 20% of stations have reported any union activity at this point, so Express executive management is thinking this is nothing to get unduly alarmed about.

Month 3:

Increasing reports of union activity are pouring into Memphis. At this point, fully one-half of Express stations have reports of union representation cards showing up. No reports of confrontation between wage employees and management have come in, but at this point, Express is worried that they have a problem on their hands. Express PR has reported that the “Underground” is claiming to have distributed cards to 10,000 Couriers at this time – still no reports on how many of those cards have actually been signed and returned to the IBT.

A privately funded, public information website geared towards encouraging Express Couriers to sign and send in IBT representation cards shows up. This site ISN’T funded or sponsored by the IBT – nor does it use any form of advertising. Information about this site is rapidly disseminated among Express Couriers who read the content and are convinced that there is no other way to reverse the trend in their career ‘progression’, other than to organize.

Express begins to hold ‘captive meetings’, where Couriers are held 20-30 minutes a day for meetings which present the Express view of unions and how that would “destroy the working relationship between its employees and management”. Station management report back that the overwhelming majority of Couriers are silent during the meetings and won’t engage management in the pre-scripted presentation which is designed to convince Couriers that Express is truly looking out for their best interest.

Outright misinformation is begun to be presented regarding the IBT, its history and operating patterns, attempting to present the IBT as being an even worse option for the Couriers.
Lobbyists begin reporting that something is indeed happening; the IBT is getting large numbers of representation cards sent in by Express Couriers (reported though the D.C. ‘grapevine’ of lobbyists). No numbers reported as to how many of these cards exist at this point (this is a closely guarded secret by the IBT). Express fully mobilizes its “Union Avoidance Team” and has it go out to stations that have had the greatest incidents of reported ‘pro-union’ activity to begin their work.

Month 4:

The organizing activity taking place within Express is now making national level news. Reports from Express station management have fully two-thirds of stations with some level of detected union activity. Most concerning to Express management, virtually ALL of the large, major metropolitan stations has indication of union activity. The percentage of Couriers who have been ‘exposed’ to union representation cards is estimated at being 80% at this stage by Memphis management. Express knows it has a full blown crisis at this state.

Lobbyists report that the IBT is now beginning to take an active role in the organization effort. Professional IBT organizers are working with and in some cases taking over from the amateur efforts done by the ‘Grassroots’ movement. IBT Literature is beginning to show up in stations and stations that were previously hit by card distributing activity are experiencing another round of cards showing up along with professionally produced literature to go with them. No information is obtained by FedEx lobbyists in regards to the IBT’s plans to petition for a certification election at any time in the future.

Express decides to take a two pronged approach to union avoidance at this stage. Publicly, Express denies there is any real organization drive occurring. The IBT hasn’t made a public statement, so there ‘can’t be’ any drive occurring. Large volume customers are getting worried that their shipments might get caught up in an ‘Express labor conflict’, so they want assurances that no disruptions will take place. FedEx sales begins to hold confidential meetings with these large volume shippers that ‘no disruption will take place’ and will offer addendums to the existing contracts guaranteeing service should any labor dispute escalate.

Internally, Express is in full crisis mode. The union avoidance team has been given ‘carte blanche’ to take whatever measures they deem necessary to stamp out the organizing activity. Couriers suspected of being in leadership positions within the drive are subjected to intense scrutiny on the job, disciplined for the slightest infraction and particularly charismatic organizers are to be offered ‘buyouts’ to leave Express and halt any organizing activity. Any Courier which makes an open statement in favor of organizing is to be disciplined with whatever means available – even if that means the outright fabrication of an incident in order to induce silence of that employee and to send a message to the rest.

Month 5:

The Underground Network is reporting that it has distributed representation cards to fully 22,000 Couriers. Many more Couriers have viewed the privately funded informational website and have sent in signed cards without disclosing the fact to anyone. The Network is working to get yet another round of literature distributed in stations in which there has been at least one round of distribution.

Express management comes out and announces that there will be a 6% across the board pay raise to wage employees in October 2013. There is no ‘linkage’ between this pay raise announcement and requirements for Couriers to halt organizing efforts (clearly illegal). Some Couriers think they have ‘won the fight’ and wane in their support of a union. Others recognize this move by Express is one of desperation and vow to push on to get the IBT to petition for an election as soon as they have the required number of cards in.

Express begins making confidential plans to ward off a potential strike. Operational plans on the hiring of temporary replacement Couriers, the luring of Ground drivers (who are already familiar with FedEx operating methods) and methods of getting potential strikers to cross a picket line are drawn up. Engineering is given directives to go ‘all out’ to get DRA operational in the major metropolitan areas, to enable replacement Couriers to get volume off while maintaining service. Engineering reports back that they will need till the end of 2014 to get an absolute majority of routes operating under DRA with some level of efficiency and reliability.

District Managers are given briefings on how operations will be conducted in the event of a strike and begin to coordinate with station management in methods to ensure service can be maintained in the event of a strike. Feedback from District Managers isn’t favorable: most areas of the northeast, west coast and upper Midwest report that maintaining any level of operation in the face of a strike will be impossible. Plans are drawn up to maintain service with large volume shippers while ‘handing off’ small volume shippers to Ground. The plans to shift delivery of ‘deferred volume’ over to Ground are brushed up, and the upper management in Ground is notified to be prepared to accept this volume directly from Express ramps and be able to get it off by Express commitment times. Ground contractors are given ‘vague’ notification about potential spikes in volume and told to be prepared for, “an exceptionally heavy Christmas season”.

Express begins to publically advertise for temporary Courier positions. This is done to both cover themselves in the event of successful organization and eventual strike, AND to dissuade existing Couriers from even voting to strike should they organize.

Month 6:

The IBT makes a public announcement that it is indeed working at organizing Express. No word is given as to the number of signed representation cards sent in, but the IBT does admit to ‘considerable numbers’ have been returned.

The Underground Network is still working to get representation cards distributed in the smaller stations that are distant from major metropolitan areas. The IBT is focusing on getting handbills distributed in areas that are traditionally ‘union friendly’ and in areas which the Network has indicated there have been no station level organizers present.

Express has gone into full crisis management mode with the announcement by the IBT that it is attempting to organize Express. Large and small customers are inundating sales with calls over concerns that their shipments would get ‘hung up’ in any potential labor strife. FedEx Sales makes further assurances that the RLA prevents labor strife from interfering in operations and that court action would be sought to prevent any sort of ‘illegal labor action’.

UPS has grabbed the opportunity to start taking shippers away from Express, offering them no discount on their pricing, BUT offering to ensure smooth flow of their volume should Express strike. FedEx rapidly learns of this move and the crisis intensifies in Memphis. FedEx stock begins to drop in value and market analysts predict some form of ‘labor action’ in Express before the end of the year. With the Christmas season rapidly approaching, fears of a strike at Express have FedEx management hitting the airwaves attempting to calm the speculation and assure both investors and customers that there will be no disruption.

Month 7:

The IBT has still to petition for a certification vote, but it is making ‘strongly worded statements’ to the press that it already has enough signed representation cards to successfully petition for a vote should it do so.

The Network has completely handed off activity to professional IBT organizers. Only about 10% of stations at this point have not had any union activity occur within them – and these stations are the smaller, rural stations (Feeder Stations) which have proportionally fewer Couriers in them.

FedEx management has decided that it is a foregone conclusion that the IBT will be successful in organizing. The 6% pay raise announced 2 months ago isn’t having the desired effect on organizing activity. Stock price has dropped to $90 a share and is predicted to go to $60 a share should the IBT successfully organize Express Couriers. Reports are coming in that the ‘RTs’ are seeing union activity in them, with reports that drivers are distributing representation cards amongst themselves.

Month 8:

The IBT announces that is has enough signed union representation cards from Express Couriers to successfully petition the NLRB for a certification election and win that election. It publically encourages Express Couriers that have not signed and returned union representation cards, to do so. However, it does not actually petition for a vote at this point.

Express comes out to its employees at this stage and clearly threatens their jobs should organization take place. Since there is no established legal protection at this stage, Express figures it can get away with just about anything since it has nothing to lose at this stage.

Given the ‘double edged’ nature of the RLA – Express cannot stage a lockout; it has an obligation under the RLA to maintain flow of commerce. The training of replacement Couriers is well underway, but many of the applicants cannot pass the background, credit, criminal history, or drug screening checks. The cost to get a single replacement Courier has risen to $5,000 (total cost of program divided by number of successfully trained replacement Couriers). These replacement Couriers are trained SOLELY on DRA methods, they are not trained on ‘traditional’ sort or routing methods.

In recognition that DRA cannot currently (late 2013) handle the multiple time commits of both Priority and Standard Overnight service, an operational plan of suspending Priority Overnight service is made. Deferred volume will be shifted over to Ground in the event of a strike, and overnight service will be strictly limited to Standard Overnight. First Overnight service will be maintained for shippers who absolutely must have shipments early in the day. Engineering is given directives to do whatever it takes to enable ‘straight line’ routing of what will be just Standard Overnight volume using DRA software.

Month 9:

The IBT petitions the NLRB for a certification election of Express Couriers. The IBT claims that it has 17,500 signed representation cards from Express Couriers. FedEx goes all out to fight the approval of the election, claiming many of the cards are forged, signed under false pretenses or illegible. Christmas is weeks away, and Express cannot have customers shift their volume to UPS right now. Express stock falls to $55 a share and market analysts predict that Express will be forced to recognize an IBT union within a couple of months.

After a contentious hearing, the NLRB proceeds with the process of verification of the signed representation cards. Express fights at every step of the way, making claim after claim that the cards don’t meet legal muster. After a month long process, the NLRB approves the petition for a certification election.
I just suggested $50 on a separate post. That seems so difficult to come together but I hope it does and it couldn't happen to a more deserving company.

Broke

I'd like to keep this topic bumped up. If you can't get the IBT to return your phone calls, you can reach the IAM at 301-967-4500. I've spoken with them several times and I promise they will return your call.

MAKAVELI

I'd like to keep this topic bumped up. If you can't get the IBT to return your phone calls, you can reach the IAM at 301-967-4500. I've spoken with them several times and I promise they will return your call.
What did the IAM tell you in regards to organizing us?